It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a power within the use of prayer?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by OpenYourHead

I used to pray as well, I guess when the Catholic in me was still around - ha, but that is VERY gone now. Screw the religious ties, I like being my own person, finding truth within.

I still find myself saying out loud sometimes, "God..." in fact I just did this tonight and I stopped myself and I'm like "Jesus (pun not intended) what the hell is wrong with me? I don't think like that *laugh*" It was funny and ironic that I directly used the word Jesus to denounce how I don't pray.

But when it comes down to it, faith is faith - prayer is just like meditating in a way, although those very into religion are really missing the point in my eyes (for most of the over religious people anyway). We are all one, treating others as one would like to be treated is a great example, why, because we are one another. Take a look at the words under my name, and maybe you'll get what I'm trying to say.

Positive thinking/mindset=positive vibes=more positive outcomes.

Now, get the elite & tptb to think positively about being more into humanity and the world will change. Until then, war is inevitable (once again don't take words I used above and derail the thread please).

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by highlyoriginal
I have just a simple thread, with a simple question for you all.

Prayer is the earliest form of hypnosis or suggestion that existed, and as suggestion indeed does work, then it will have some 'power'.

Suggestion can focus your thought processes and reinforce your current thinking.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
In short I believe that you may have power in prayer to change your own mood or sense of self.

But any projection of this onto any external entity, person or natural phenomenon is purely in your own mind.

Enjoy your god but keep it between you and them.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
There is world-changing power in the use of prayer, I believe.

No matter if you are praying to good or evil forces. And when I say 'praying', I include meditation, chanting - anything that points a person towards the spiritual realm.

When a group of people - and the more people, the more powerful it becomes - concentrate their higher mind upon communicating with spiritual things/beings, it attracts benevolent or malevolent vibes.

We could heal the world with prayer, but the sad fact is that we are too fragmented, so we have lost that power.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

I think this was the first time I can say we can both agree. But I was only attacking that other posters comparison between 'magick' and prayer.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Weather its a vibrational exchange, a collective in union of minds, positive thinking, a channelling of energy or confabulation with the Divine, who knows? But they unless you practice it, you'll never sample the benefits

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Judging by the last two+ months of my life's experience which was inundated with prayer ........ my answer is "NOT ONE DAMN BIT"

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by The_Archangel

Weather its a vibrational exchange, a collective in union of minds, positive thinking, a channelling of energy or confabulation with the Divine, who knows? But they unless you practice it, you'll never sample the benefits

Indeed my friend!

[edit on 10-1-2010 by OpenYourHead]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misfit

Judging by the last two+ months of my life's experience which was inundated with prayer ........ my answer is "NOT ONE DAMN BIT"

So because of two months of you asking GOD PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LET THE DELIVERY MAN SCREW UP AND DELIVER ME GOLD BARS! PLEASE, I'LL NEVER HIT MY WIFE AGAIN!//sarcasm-joke//

You believe that prayer or meditation or anything of the sort does nothing? That just shows how dumb you are. Not because you don't believe in prayer (I could care less) but because you give up after 2 months on something and think that it's impossible or "doesn't help one damn bit." Believe it or not some things take longer than 2 months to master, especially meditation which one can refine all their life and never perfect it.

[edit on 10-1-2010 by highlyoriginal]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by highlyoriginal

I believe with all my heart that there is. I do not consider myself to be devout to any religion, but, I was raised in the southern church of God traditions, and I saw things that I cannot explain that are purely the power of prayer IMO. Maybe in the end it is simply the power of suggestion or the power of believing something WILL work, but many a miracle took place there. I remember when I was little and I had a patch of warts on my knee and upper leg, it was probably a hundred or so warts, my parents tried everything to get rid of them, and talked with a doc about getting them burned off, but instead my mom took me to the church and the 'elders' of the church placed a handkerchief over them and prayed, they were asking God to remove these unsightly warts from my leg and to help them remove them, they symbolically 'picked' the warts off and pretended to place them into the handkerchief, and told me to throw it into the ocean and that God would take them away soon. I threw the handkerchief in the ocean that day, and thouroughly believed the warts would be gone. In less than 2 weeks they were all gone. Never had another.
Most Sundays there would be more than one person go to the front of the church to recieve a blessing of healing for one thing or another with much success, including a couple of terminally ill patients.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   
I've heard tales of medical recovery rates showing a statistically significant improvement when remote prayer is introduced (usually a number of individuals praying for the recovery of the sick person). As is common in these cases, it's often referred to but nobody seems to know the original events or studies the information comes from.
Does anyone on this thread have any specific information on this? It's likely to be the closest thing to objective proof there is.
Not that something can't be true for lack of evidence (just ask any policeman) but it would sure be helpful.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   
This thread is highlighting the arrogance that lies within religion

2/3 of the worlds population woke up with no access to clean water, Children in Africa woke up to no food and will not live to see the end of their day.

Are these people not praying hard enough? or Does God just prefer American children.

Either way

[edit on 10-1-2010 by woodwardjnr]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
I have not read all the replies to this thread but will state me opinion simply.

I have though of the exact question you brought to light here, and the only answer that seemed logical to me is-

If every thought has a frequency that affects it's surroundings, then surely praying is similar to 'The Secret'. I think that our underestimated mind power plays a huge role in prayer.

And what is sad, is that people attribute the positive and negative results of prayer to higher deity/ 'God'.... which leaves them to believe they are powerless. In turn, they thank 'God' when the prayer is answered & their 'faith' in this being/ God is validated. If the prayer is not answered, the negative result, leave the human with someone else to blame for the fate or outcome of the situation. So, they never need to be accountable for their thoughts or actions, as all outcomes can be accepted as 'God's will'.

If people could realize that everything is in their own hands/ minds...surely they would realize the power that naturally bestowed unto them, to affect their surroundings. We have been kept blind and infantile, in regards to the true power we hold as human beings.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jinx880101

Very true, and I wish more people would realize this. The power is within us all, how it works, I cannot exactly tell you, but it definitely is something we are all able to do.

I hope more people wake up, making threads like this is something I like to do to help people show what they think is true, and for us all to access this information and shape what we ultimately know to be truth.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Well, iit looks as if I need to eat my words.

You will have tro excuse my demeanor in that post, the emotions of two people, myself and my wife, have been taken to hell and back in two months.

I won't say much about it, but do know this - my prayers were NOT that I would regain my marriage, but simply that SHE would have peace as well as guidance in her life.

I know well that prayers are not always (if ever) answered in such a manner that "you get what you ask for". My prayers were for HER well-being, and nothing for myself. but what has been given in return of my prayers , is that our marriage of 10 years is to continue, in a manner so incredible that neither of us have could have possibly imagined.

I feel now, truly blessed.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Misfit

Good for you. There's nothing wrong in having faith, I just think it's ridiculous to leave such large things such as a marriage up to your prayers. What happens in your life is because of your actions, or lack there of.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   

I just think it's ridiculous to leave such large things such as a marriage up to your prayers. What happens in your life is because of your actions, or lack there of.

my prayers were NOT that I would regain my marriage, but simply that SHE would have peace as well as guidance in her life.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I feel that positive directed thought done so in a sacred and humble way definitely is making a worth while contribution to things we can not and do not fully understand. Trying to reconcile the challenges with who gets help and who doesn't and how it all fits into the grand scheme is futile.

I feel that we can direct positive and sincere energy towards people who are suffering or in need and at a certain level trust that things will work out. We do not fully understand death and what comes after.

We see senseless death or tragic death as a negative thing here on Earth, but who knows, what comes after may be better than this experience and if given the opportunity those prematurely lost lives may chose to stay dead and not re -join life on earth if given the opportunity.

The power of prayer seems to have been proven scientifically. Afterall what do you risk?

www.plim.org...

g2

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
here is the thing:

religion, preaching, prayer, etc, are an attempt to use outer level, superficial consciousness via the verbal pathway to convey that which can only be discovered by experience.

anything else, in terms of 'debate', amounts to little more than sophist clicks, hoots and whistles from the forest.

only knows can be found via experience, the rest amounts to beliefs.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Moonman1111

Get outta here with that garbage. Praying to the creator and praticing Satanic 'magick' are not the same thing. Read the bible and see what it says about sorcery and praying to fallen entities. Talking to the creator does not require any rituals or 'magick'. And yes, prayer does have power, as another poster has said, I too have seen prayers answered in thought, actions, and in other little ways.

You miss understand, friend. You use your belief/dogma to divide the GodHead, when it is all one whole. I take it you are Christian. You think of God, and Satan, right? Two separate beings who are on opposing sides. When any thought, or action is made by anyone, that thought/act can be based on one of only two things, there are no other choices: Love, or Fear. God (for lack of a better, more descriptive word) knew that for Love to exist, its exact opposite had to exist as well. So, God (Creator/Creators) voluntarily created the absolute opposite of Love - Fear. In the moment fear existed, love could exist as a thing that could be experienced. Each and everything that we know of has two polar opposites, light/dark, black/white, truth/lie, love/hate, God/Devil. It is this creation of Duality between Love and its opposite, which humans refer to in their various mythologies as the "birth of evil," "the fall of Man", "the rebellion of Satan," and so on and so forth. Just as you have chosen to personify pure Love as the character you call God, so have you chosen to personify abject Fear as the character you call the Satan. Some people have established rather elaborate mythologies around this event, complete with scenarios of battles and war, angelic soldiers and devilish warriors, the forces of good and evil, of light and dark. This does not make it so.

You say: "I can't do it." God says: You can do all things. (Philippians 4:13)

When did evil come into existence?

Everything in the universe has originated from the One God. The God principle permeates everything in the universe and also exists beyond it. From this perspective both good and evil have originated from the God principle. They have both existed since the creation of the universe. However the evil was in seed or latent form at that time.

According to a spiritual law ‘everything has originated from the God principle. It will be sustained and then undergo dissolution back into the God principle’. This happens as per an inherent absolute plan. Thus the universe has come into existence, it will be sustained for a predefined period of time and then it will undergo dissolution. As a part of this divine plan, the evil that was in seed form at the origin of the universe steadily grows. It manifests in the form of evil elements and persons. With the passage of time, the evil element will keep on growing until it reaches 100%, at which point the universe will cease to exist.

www.spiritualresearchfoundation.org...

Faith in God starts with a belief in His Omnipotent, All Powerful, Supreme existence.
You cannot have it both ways. Either God is All Things, or God is No Thing at all.

I have no belief in Satan, the Devil, or any other Ultimate Author of Evil, you see. When I pray, or cast a spell, or think good thoughts and send them, all basically the same intent, only different ways of doing it, it matters not to whom I address if One Ultimate God is everything. Calling a name is a human thing, we tend to personify our Gods, and Goddesses, into being of human like quality and appearance, so that we can relate to them on a personal level. There is no such thing as true "Satanic Magick," as True Magick just is; the good, or evil intent, is in the Heart of the Practitioner, or one who speaks to send the thought/prayer/spell out to it's intended destination or purpose. Magick is neither Dark or Light, Black or white, it just is. And yes, I have seen it work in a truly positive way, just as I have seen Christian prayers work in a positive way.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join