It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a power within the use of prayer?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I'm not going to turn this into a religious discussion about this and that.

I have just a simple thread, with a simple question for you all.

I am a spiritual being, I have no idea what you consider yourself, but answer me this:

I was just watching something and they brought up how these people were praying, and it made me think, "Damn these people don't understand they are praying to a non-existent God."

However, I then thought, I talk to my higher self, my cosmic counterpart, my spiritual guides, and it probably sounds ridiculous to those people. I think that positive thinking, thought, and meditation can change certain aspects of life for the singular person at hand, or even humanity as a whole.

Is this much different than prayer? Yes it is, but it really has the same outcome if you think about it, right?

What are your thoughts on this subject? Does prayer have power? I think asking God to come into your life and help you is ridiculous, you need to use willpower to change your life. But I'm sure many of you will say otherwise; whichever side you're on, or whatever your opinion is, please share.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Absolutely, there is power in prayer. I do believe in God, and have had my prayers answered in action, in thought, by opportunities, and in little miracles. You are right, we do decide and determine our life here on this earth, but God ensures a better life in my opinion...it's a wonder I am even here. Yes, there is power in prayer.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I can testify to that. Absolutly. I know a woman very well who WAS an
atheist pretty much. She suffered an anurism, slipt into a coma. These
people some how found out about her. They said one of the members
were"told" they should all go and pray over her and she was going to be healed. My friend
Jason who was no big believer to be sure. Being her boyfriend he was
such a good man to her, there every day. I was impressed, totally not
like him. These people he said popped into the room after about a week
of her being comatose.
They asked him if they could pray over her. He said he could feel like
some kind of static energy coming off of this group of eight people.

Before he could say yes please, two of them were on each side of her grabbing her hands with one hand they all joined hands in a ring around
her bed including Jason and her in the ring. Jason said he went black
but didn't faint.

Her and Jason were over my house telling me this incredible story a week later.
I might add it really is just stupid to claim God does not exist because
you do not know.
So how do you like me now?

[edit on 9-1-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

Okay, but can you please explain a bit more?

For example, if you ask God in prayer "Please, look after my family and make sure they are safe tonight" - they are at home, you're away for work.

You come home and they are better than great, your wife got a promotion, the kids got A's, wow God helped me out so much!

That is coincidence. So please explain to me how God shows himself to you in life, how he changes your life, your lifePATH?

I'm not being an a$$hole I'm just wondering the answer to these questions, so do not take my questioning wrong. I am willing to answer any questions about my spirituality, and positive use of 'good vibes' so please answer my question.

Please, for future posts, I don't want to see one word responses like "Yes, there is power in prayer." I want explanation on why you believe this or at least (or as well) how this is shown and proved to help you in your life. Otherwise this thread is useless and will not help shed light on anyones beliefs and why they believe them.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by highlyoriginal

Yes, there is power with prayer.
This has been proven with seeds.
Check for yourself.
Have 2 pots with corn or flowers.
Put them in different rooms.
Stand in front and pray for the well being of your plant and then
ignore the other plant.
The prayed for plant will grow faster.
------------------------------------------------
BTW, plants also love classical music and the spoken words of poetry.
The vibrations in the air do the trick.
--------------------------------------------------------
Also, all prayers are received, recorded and answered by God.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I for one belive in its power and feel that you dont have to be a bible thomper to see its effect at work. No matter what the religion, prayer is a practice carried in one form or another in all corners of the world. On a spiritual level, the thought being passed in concentrated form to the higher being/force allows one to intermesh in union with the Divine and is very much a practice whos benefits are in tandem with the likes of mediation. Many spiritual and their benefit are still quandary to science and are still to be explained although there are a number of scientist that promote them for their apparent beneficial results. Thus, the practice of prayer and religious procedures ultimately comes down to that well used word: Faith.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Short answer? Yes, there is a power. What the power is may surprise you.The power comes from the people who pray together for a certain thing to happen. If everything is right, a manipulation of the natural order can occur. In ancient times this was called "Magick." People were burned at a stake for practising it. In some parts of the word they still are. The fact is, it is the exact same thing. A chanted spell to make a thing happen. Old as dirt.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I believe that there is power in prayer, but that it's the same as the power in sending positive thoughts or meditating.

Some believe it's the power of putting your intentions into the Universe.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
If you are truly interested in the power of prayer, I would suggest that you pick up some powerful prayer books. Each religion has their own "standard" prayer book.

For example, you might start with the Art Scroll Edition of the Jewish Siddur. It has many Jewish prayers that are very powerful.

The traditional Catholics have several prayer books. You might pick up a copy of the Raccolta, which contain the official prayers of the Roman Catholic Church. One of the best Catholic prayer books is the Baronius Press Roman Missal of 1962.

The Anglicans (Church of England) have the Book of Common Prayer.

You can explore each religion based on your religious leanings, but each religion usually has a main prayer book that they use. I am actually researching to find out about Hindu and Buddhist prayer books right now.

I can tell you from personal experience that the prayer books listed above are all very powerful, well written, and have some obvious patterns and ritualistic aspects that enhance prayer's potency (kneeling, bowing at certain intervals, religious ritual of washing one's hands at certain intervals, etc.).

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Not a problem, are you ready?
Back in the early 90s I was going through a divorce and my ex accussed me of molesting my daughter...NOT TRUE. But my life turned to a living hell for about 6 weeks. I was desperate and prayed for God's help and guidance. I did not overreact or do something stupid, I was always honorable, honest, and upfront. In the end I was vindicated and proven innocent. I could have sued for damages, but let it go... turned the other cheek. 6 years later I gained full custody of my daughter and she is in college now...with honors.
I remarried and after 3 years, was divorced again. Again at the bottom...sucker for a pretty face. I was literally sleeping in a barn on a small property I had with no running water, no heat, and little money. I prayed for courage, hope, strength, wisdom... refer to Joseph in the Old Testament or maybe Job. Fast forward 13 years and I now have a 50acre farm, and wonderful wife, and really happy.
three years ago, my father had to have emergency brain surgery, my mother became so stressed she had a stroke. Imagine, both parents on the same floor of a neuro unit at opposite ends of hall. I prayed for healing, strength, and hope. We had so many family and friends support us and pray. Now, they are 80 and 74, bothpretty much recovered. my mom, if you didn't know her, you would never know she had a stroke. My dad still has a giant garden, cuts grass, my mom still cans food, sews, and cooks like crazy.
I could go on and on...sometimes prayers are answered by something as simple as a very "coincidental" song or sign along the road right after I ask God for a sign. Sometimes, it is a rebate check for overpayment in the very amount of an unforeseen bill. Sometimes a hurdle turns into a blessing.
One summer, I was taking a bucket full of homegrown veggies to my folk's house and visit. About to go out the door, the phone rang. No one on the other end...I get into my truck and leave. As I pull up to the highway, I realize that I forgot the bucket with veggies. "God, help me." So, I turn back and get the bucket, get back to the highway...just a few minutes elapsed. And where I would have been had I left as planned, was an accident. A trailer came loose from behind a dump truck, and basically rolled down hill past the truck and wrecked... God works in mysterious ways.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
There is power in a thought that holds good intentions. I dont pray for myself...I only pray for others. I dont ask for healing or change, I ask that hope and strength find their way to them.

To ask that something be changed...means we think there was a flaw in God plan.

What about the children that starve every day? Their prayers arent answered...and someone wants to tell me God has his reasons for that...I say BS. God isnt something to come fix things....God is waiting for us to be the change he can work through.

Even if its your higher self your connecting with. A thought is all it takes. Our thoughts hold power.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeoVirgo
Even if its your higher self your connecting with. A thought is all it takes. Our thoughts hold power.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Well said. Everything begins with a thought, it starts with the higher self and is sifted through your sub-conscious.

I think 'prayer' or meditation, whichever you prefer or wish to do (I know there are other things other then these two, but they are what many people can connect with), doesn't allow any sort of God or creator to change the outcome of life, but you, YOURSELF change the outcome.

For example: I am struggling with an illness, I do not pray to get better, but I center myself on positive vibes, love and light. Surrounding myself with these things could be very powerful. I may live to tell the story, or I may die, but even in death I have learned a lesson, so asking 'not to die' is not going to help, asking yourself to help understand the circumstances you are in and what you can take/learn from it is vital.

Thank you all so far for giving longer than one or two sentence answers. And randyvs thanks for editing your post and explaining more. Good stories and I'm glad things worked out. My family has their share of stories, as does every other family, and person alive.

The proof that prayer does not change life outcomes directly from whatever you believe in as the creator, or as the one consciousness is right with what someone else has already stated. Look at all the horrible things going on in the world, people starving to death in 3rd world countries, inequality through out the world as well, and rights being taken away. Pray as hard as you want, until your head hurts, whatever, but these people will not have bread such as Jesus supposedly had that fed many people, these people will still die of starvation, people will still get murdered & raped (unfortunately).

The mere fact that you made a positive thought shows your humanity, especially when it's not for yourself.

Whoever said "I don't pray for myself, just others" (just simplifying it) needs to realize that we need to be selfish sometimes. I have led my whole life helping others in every way possible, using my knowledge to save lives when I had too - mentally and physically - and to just generally make people feel better.

Know what happened to me? All my problems got pushed to the side, got bottled up and I tried to commit suicide. Luckily I did not die, and I'm not saying that suicide is the answer or anything (please don't re-rail this thread on the whole suicide subject) I just wanted to explain my story here.

Know what I do now? I have become a much better person, much more healthy mentally especially, now that I have learned to be selfish sometimes. It may not even be called selfishness, it's really just loving myself and others, and remembering that loving myself is #1 above all and think of it this way: If I end up dying, not taking care of myself, get sick, whatever, I cannot help others ever again (at least not in this lifetime). So you do need to be selfish sometimes, just not overly selfish. Balancing your life is priority number one to be more specific.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

Short answer? Yes, there is a power. What the power is may surprise you.The power comes from the people who pray together for a certain thing to happen. If everything is right, a manipulation of the natural order can occur. In ancient times this was called "Magick." People were burned at a stake for practising it. In some parts of the word they still are. The fact is, it is the exact same thing. A chanted spell to make a thing happen. Old as dirt.

Get outta here with that garbage. Praying to the creator and praticing Satanic 'magick' are not the same thing. Read the bible and see what it says about sorcery and praying to fallen entities. Talking to the creator does not require any rituals or 'magick'. And yes, prayer does have power, as another poster has said, I too have seen prayers answered in thought, actions, and in other little ways.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moonman1111

Get outta here with that garbage. Praying to the creator and praticing Satanic 'magick' are not the same thing.

Since I want to play by the rules here on ATS, perhaps you can enlighten me as to what's garbage and what isn't so I don't inadvertently post garbage.

Who sits on the Garbage Committee and how does it decide what is and isn't garbage?

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by highlyoriginal

Originally posted by LeoVirgo

I couldn't have said it better myself. Well said. Everything begins with a thought, it starts with the higher self and is sifted through your sub-conscious.

I think 'prayer' or meditation, whichever you prefer or wish to do (I know there are other things other then these two, but they are what many people can connect with), doesn't allow any sort of God or creator to change the outcome of life, but you, YOURSELF change the outcome.

For example: I am struggling with an illness, I do not pray to get better, but I center myself on positive vibes, love and light. Surrounding myself with these things could be very powerful. I may live to tell the story, or I may die, but even in death I have learned a lesson, so asking 'not to die' is not going to help, asking yourself to help understand the circumstances you are in and what you can take/learn from it is vital.

Thank you all so far for giving longer than one or two sentence answers. And randyvs thanks for editing your post and explaining more. Good stories and I'm glad things worked out. My family has their share of stories, as does every other family, and person alive.

The proof that prayer does not change life outcomes directly from whatever you believe in as the creator, or as the one consciousness is right with what someone else has already stated. Look at all the horrible things going on in the world, people starving to death in 3rd world countries, inequality through out the world as well, and rights being taken away. Pray as hard as you want, until your head hurts, whatever, but these people will not have bread such as Jesus supposedly had that fed many people, these people will still die of starvation, people will still get murdered & raped (unfortunately).

The mere fact that you made a positive thought shows your humanity, especially when it's not for yourself.

Whoever said "I don't pray for myself, just others" (just simplifying it) needs to realize that we need to be selfish sometimes. I have led my whole life helping others in every way possible, using my knowledge to save lives when I had too - mentally and physically - and to just generally make people feel better.

Know what happened to me? All my problems got pushed to the side, got bottled up and I tried to commit suicide. Luckily I did not die, and I'm not saying that suicide is the answer or anything (please don't re-rail this thread on the whole suicide subject) I just wanted to explain my story here.

Know what I do now? I have become a much better person, much more healthy mentally especially, now that I have learned to be selfish sometimes. It may not even be called selfishness, it's really just loving myself and others, and remembering that loving myself is #1 above all and think of it this way: If I end up dying, not taking care of myself, get sick, whatever, I cannot help others ever again (at least not in this lifetime). So you do need to be selfish sometimes, just not overly selfish. Balancing your life is priority number one to be more specific.

Hello!

I did comment on not praying for myself...but once I thought about, the things I do pray for, are more for me then what I though. I pray for my children to be protected and given the chance to learn, be healthy, and hope they find their way. I pray for all of those around me, sometimes in just one thought, I consider a prayer, if just wishing consciously, with good intent for someone I love....is really...a prayer for myself. Blessing food that I cook, is for others, but as well as myself. I pray for understanding in life's journeys, and I do ask for the Holy Spirit to guide me.

Thank you for sharing your experience. My mother has taught me alot. She is very ill and has fought sickness and the fact of not being able to walk, much of this time bedridden...she all the while, has been humble of her catalysts. Her hope and the love for life, and her personal relation to her spiritual belief...humble me in many ways. I guess even though I know my intention are good when I do pray, my intentions of prayer are also to help cope with Gods will, what ever it may be.

I do pray alot for the world, as a whole, for something to bring others to see, what we can be. There are problems we can solve....with our our intentions...and when you think about it...once we are aware of the fact...such intentions...would be our higher selves and Gods intentions also. I believe we are to do better things!

Joy talking with you !

[edit on 9-1-2010 by LeoVirgo]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Moonman1111

All power of prayer Moonman comes from the source of God...but what you are missing is that we hold a link to that within us. We are the conduit, we create the thought and intention, by our own will for it to be so, if our intentions are of good nature...then only the 'One of good nature' ...God...will be that link. If you are in tune with what a spiritual intention would be...then a spiritual intention it is.

Even your Bible says when there is more then one person, the power will be more.

Lets say an Indian woman was praying to the 'Great Spirit' ....if her intentions were true (of heart and mind)...she would connect with the 'God of good nature' . It doesnt mean prayer for healing will be answered, but I do believe that the more humans focusing on one thing with best intentions in their heart and mind....the power would be more.

Just adding some thoughts...

My best
LV

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by leftystrat

Moonman is very Biblical....by just calling it 'magic' he will over look what you are saying.

Edit to add

I do not think though...that the power ONLY comes form the people...there are powers of elements and the Earth that can be used also. So much of that seems like lost knowledge though.

Not for so much what I would call magic...with spells to chant...but natural healings.

I dont see a need for 'chants'...but I guess each to their own

[edit on 9-1-2010 by LeoVirgo]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
There is in a sense, you don't actually need to pray though. I think it just comes down to plain old positive thinking...ie please give me the strength to face my boss tomorrow. In your little head you actually think someone is listening to you which gives you a little boost of confidence and brighter outlook. That's all it is though, there is no real power other than that.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
There is in a sense, you don't actually need to pray though. I think it just comes down to plain old positive thinking...ie please give me the strength to face my boss tomorrow. In your little head you actually think someone is actually listening to you which gives you a little boost of confidence. That's all it is though, there is no real power other than that.

And you evidence is where? You point is being made in quite a shallow way and is not as all encompassing as prayer can be.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Praying will definitely give users motivation, courage, hope, and the will power to whatever you may be praying for. Yes, spiritually as well.

For the prayers that don't get answered, individuals will normally cite there must be a reason or purpose for it not to have been answered. And normally it will be a positive explanation for the let down of a prayer.

Such as; Maybe help will answer me in another way, another form?
This is why you normally have "Faith" if your a prayer.

Keep in mind, most prayers that have been answered are done in part mostly by an individual. And not caused by an elaborate divine plan for your life. You make the choices, you take turns were the forks are in the road.

I don't pray but the general concept isn't destructive. I can understand why people use prayer everyday in their lives. It can definitely motivate you through the ups and downs we humans face on an everyday basis.

I myself use to pray and I remember it being very comforting and soothing. But as I saw the world for what it was, my beliefs of course changed. And I now am self motivated to get through the world. It seems to be the better way at least for me.

Heck, I can sure eat a lot faster without prayer now.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by OpenYourHead]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join