It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could we travel faster than light?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
So a few days ago I was looking for a documentary to watch and I tought this was interesting to share with you guys.

So in the documentary the narrator is speaking about the tether incident and how it got him the idea that ufos could travel faster than light and in the documentary he tries to explain his theory.

here is the link to the documentary - The documentary turn about minute 22 I think thats when he starts explaining his theory.

*sorry if i posted it in the wrong forum, and sorry if i made grammar mistakes.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
NO!!!! only faster than smell!!

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
We made radio waves travel faster than light, and the only way we could ever is if we allow ourselves to.

I have seen the doc., and can say its just an attempt to explain something incomprehensable. For now at least.

I must say, the idea does facsinate me. if anything, we woulden't travel at all. we would just change our energy signature to that of the place we want to go, just like how scientists are doing right now with molecules, and teleporting them.

Heres a quick explination.

Put something, anything, in one hand. that item in that place has a energy signature. if you move it to the other hand, its energy signature has changed.

So if you find out how to change the energy signature, you find out how to teleport yourself, faster than light can travel.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
but wouldnt that mean an exact replica and not the real object?

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
No, because the instant you hit the speed of light you atomize. And if we could even get to 99% the speed of light, we would need some sort of inertial compensator, becuase otherwise we'd be crushed by the absolutely immense G-force involved in going that fast.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Yeah through suspended animation --

www.nobeliefs.com...&timetravel.htm

Although biophotons are lasers which DNA use for superliminal communication -- so if we travel AS light then on a quantum level light can have a pilot wave which is instantaneous -- faster-than-light communication. Science can only measure this after the fact though.

reply to post by Danna

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by kingoftheworld

I thought it was the rate of acceleration that causes g-forces. So if we accelerate to any given speed slowly enough we shouldn't experience any g-forces.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong..

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danna
So a few days ago I was looking for a documentary to watch and I tought this was interesting to share with you guys.

So in the documentary the narrator is speaking about the tether incident and how it got him the idea that ufos could travel faster than light and in the documentary he tries to explain his theory.

here is the link to the documentary - The documentary turn about minute 22 I think thats when he starts explaining his theory.

*sorry if i posted it in the wrong forum, and sorry if i made grammar mistakes.

IMO we can travel faster than light, I am no scientist but I do keep an open mind when it comes down to this subject as it is still only theory and not fact

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I dont know, if you watch further in the documentary he shows a video of an experiment of a heavy metal object levitanting that could support his theory and i think he even sent an open letter to the cientist in that experiment

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Not quite. Even if we were travelling at a speed of 99.9c but at a constant velocity we would experience no outside force (G-Force) acting on us at all. It all depends on your frame of reference. Right now I'm sitting in my house so relative to the planet Earth I'm going 0 mph, but relative to the Sun I'm going 60,000 mph or so (I'd have to look up the exact figure but you get the idea).

Remember your Newtonian Mechanics F=M.A If there is no acceleration A acting on you (mass M) then you will experience no outside force. Not to worry friend you won't get "atomised".

However, this assumes that all of this stuff takes place within "normal space-time" But if a hyper-dimensional theory proves to be a more accurate view of the universe then all bets are off regarding a speed limit of c.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Therotical, we can't break the speed barrier. But we can find ways to get around that. ect: worm holes, other dimensions, warp speed...

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Nothing can stop mass except Einstein's equation.
So using the Newton equation you go as fast as you want.
But collision is a problem.
Radio and light and Tesla waves go the speed of light due
to the density of the ether.
But particles go so fast they go right through the earth powered
from the suns of the universe.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by superdebz

I think you meant 'light barrier'.

We'd have to work on approaching the speed of light (300,000 kilometers per second or 186,000 miles per second for you Americans) before we work on surpassing it.

While it would be very 'Star Trek' of us, as a species, to stumble upon faster than light travel, I honestly believe we'll have to take baby steps to get there.

Edit: Actually, the idea of FTL travel is quite dangerous because you can't see where you're going.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by links234]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by links234
reply to post by superdebz

Edit: Actually, the idea of FTL travel is quite dangerous because you can't see where you're going.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by links234]

I think thats not a problem man could just plan the ''way'' before doing so we dont hit anything

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by kingoftheworld
No, because the instant you hit the speed of light you atomize. And if we could even get to 99% the speed of light, we would need some sort of inertial compensator, becuase otherwise we'd be crushed by the absolutely immense G-force involved in going that fast.

Originally posted by yizzel

I thought it was the rate of acceleration that causes g-forces. So if we accelerate to any given speed slowly enough we shouldn't experience any g-forces.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong..

You are right.

It's not the speed, but the acceleration. The astronauts in the ISS are moving 17,000 mph, but they don't feel it because the speed is constant -- i.e., not accelerating. When they launched into space on the shuttle, there were plenty of G-forces upon accelerating up to 17,000 mph, but once they cut the engines, there is no more force.

So Speed, in general, isn't a problem (but acceleration is)...

HOWEVER, there is another theoretical problem with us traveling the speed of light. According to Einstein, as matter approaches the speed of light, its mass approaches infinity. Therefore, for something with mass to travel the speed of light would take infinite energy to keep that matter moving as it gets more and more massive -- and there is no such thing as infinite energy.

[edit on 1/11/2010 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Yes but if you watch the documentary the scientist proposes that we lose matter instead of it becoming massive.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Exactly it has to do with the error Einstein made about light having mass -- it has momentum. If you study the math then you can convert the momentum to quantum energy. This is what Tesla was doing in his head by using high frequency to have spacetime travel.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by drew hempel
Exactly it has to do with the error Einstein made about light having mass -- it has momentum. If you study the math then you can convert the momentum to quantum energy. This is what Tesla was doing in his head by using high frequency to have spacetime travel.

Einstein did not error with the mass of a photon. Einsteins Theory of Special Relativity is exactly defines the "relativistic mass" of a photon.

A photon is massless -- i.e., it has no resting mass (although there is no such thing as a photon at rest). According to Einstein, a moving photon DOES have a relativistic mass. This "relativistic mass" is due to momentum.

Link: What is the Mass of a Photon?

This is why, according to Einstein, a photon CAN travel the speed of light (which, obviously, it does) -- because it has no resting mass. A photon only has mass ( a relativistic mass) when it is moving, and it is always moving at the speed of light.

[edit on 1/11/2010 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by redpilljunkie

I have to ask because you understand that the earth is moving at 60,000 mph.

If we are moving at 60,000 mph, how fast is the sun moving around the galaxy? and in turn how fast is the galaxy moving through the universe?

Just a question because although it seems improbable I would imagine we are moving fairly fast if we look at it like that.

Pred....

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Heim theroy would suggest we can ,for those of you interested in this just do a search on the site .I have also included this link which proves that Superluminal speed is possible .

physicsworld.com...

[edit on 12-1-2010 by edtheduck]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join