It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 6.5 - Offshore Northern California

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

I think the attention that has been generated by some media outlets and the newest of History channel docuscaries has brought more questionable information to represent a potential scenario. The issue for me is earthquakes appear to be getting greater in magnitude everywhere.And although it is a bit early to tell, volcanic activity seems to be increasing.I am sure someone will dispute that one.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaPrime
Im just wondering how come there hasn't been any earthquakes around San Francisco lately???

Because there have been. 243 on the San Francisco map right now, the largest a 4.1 in Milpitas, most recent a 2.1 about 40 minutes ago.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Well, earthquake activity has increased globally, and to Richter scales that are beggining to be uncommon in the regions they're happening.

Biggest proof? There was a 6.0 earthquake SW off-shore (west of Gibraltar, in the Eurasia/Africa ridge) of my country, Portugal, on December 17. Just to put it in perspective... The last one felt like that was 50 years ago. And before that... in 1755, the 9.0 earthquake that destroyed Lisbon and several other cities in the country.

Not trying to be 2012ish on the subject, but you have to agree something is going on...

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Glad to hear that apparently everyone/everything is ok in California. Hopefully this isn't a precursor to something bigger (although, sadly, one day it will happen).

Personally, I like living in a non-Earthquake zone (Texas). Every once in a while we have some in the 3.0 range, but its never anything that you can really feel (at least where I live).

Every time I hear/see anything about an Earthquake over 6.0 I kind of get nervous. I know they aren't as rare as it seems, but I had a really bad dream once where there was a 9.1 in Bangladesh. I remember waking up and the first thing I had to do was to see if there had ever been an Earthquake that high (someone posted something about it, a 9.5, earlier in the thread) and if it was even possible in that area. Needless to say, it kind of scared the crap out of me, but I've never had any type of dream come true, so I'm hoping it doesn't become the first.

la2

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I have to agree it does seem that activity is incresing, look at the Soloman islands, its been very active the past 10 days.

Definatly one to watch i think.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
i live on the coast about 10 miles from eureka. it was one of the biggist we had so far within the last 3 years. i work at target and the alot of things were falling. Stuff fell off all the aisles and the ceiling tiles fell down. it knocked out our local channels for hours. It was crazy. i hope theirs not gonna be any others bigger then this one.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by InterconnecteD
Sorry didn't mean to make it seem like i was putting all my potatoes in my sack.. ( not sure if that is the right expression ) not saying its haarp .. but i just love how fema gets lucky with the timing of these dates ... they are suppose to run drills on there just seems to be an emergency on teh same day ... like 9/11 .. fema was in there 9/10 b/c they were conducting a drill .. but i am sure many people are aware of that here...

dont mean to fear monger we have enough of that with all this BS news corps.

my apologize my good friend

It's human nature I guess to link disparate events. We all do it at times. Occasionally it might even turn out to be true.

I think HAARP has been way over hyped. I see the potential but wonder at the motives. Why would for instance HAARP be used to set off this particular earthquake even if it could. To make the link there would need to be a motive.

If HAARP could cause an earthquake when and where wanted, it seems to me there would need to be a very strong reason to do so. For instance if it caused a battle in a war to be won.

That location is one that will always be interesting to watch. There and many other locations where these earthquakes are historically common and a major quake could literally occur at any moment.

If say the hills where Terrorists were known to hideout were struck with one at the exact moment it gave a tactical advantage. Then you would be in a position that it would be worthy of consideration. Ironically even there it would be a leap as that area IS prone to earthquakes.

It would make a fascinating weapon for sure. A real advantage with no way to prove it was not a natural occurrence. I can see the fascination with that concept and theory. Using nature as a weapon undetected is the stuff good Sci-Fi is made off.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by quakewatcher

I too am in the Cascadia subduction zone (close to the Oregon-Wash border) & love geology so I watch Cascadia with a personal interest. (I have been also lurking in the "What's Up with Yellowstone" thread since it started.)

What I found interesting is that one of the aftershocks actually looks like it is on the Juan de Fuca instead of Cascadia. Did the 6.5 did trigger some movement on the Juan de Fuca? Time will tell.....

I am enclosing a screen shot of the USGS page for Maps of Recent Earthquake Activity in California-Nevada for that region. Hopefully it will come in. If not you can view it at: quake.usgs.gov... .

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Of course i dont know for sure! NOONE DOES. But i'm 100% sure there are rises and falls in the amount of EQ's the world experiences on a yearly basis, and not to mention how we have many more instruments for monitoring now then ever before, so while it may seem like there are many many more, they might just be picking up more with more sensitive equipment.

I'm not going to argue it anyway. This is NOT a thread about 2012, if you want to start one in that forum about the Earthquake activity, go ahead, but i doubt you will find many people who are well educated on this subject joining you because they know they are a regular world-wide occurence now, 100 years ago, 200years ago etc etc etc.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Washington gets a 2.5 about 70 miles from Vancouver. I'm just outside of Vancouver and very close to this time I thought I felt the smallest shaking, like if somebody was bouncing their foot. It was probably just the high winds we are getting because under a 3 I don't think people feel those.

I still don't think the west coast is done yet with this round.

[edit on 10-1-2010 by whoshotJR]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR
Washington gets a 2.5 about 70 miles from Vancouver. I'm just outside of Vancouver and very close to this time I thought I felt the smallest shaking, like if somebody was bouncing their foot. It was probably just the high winds we are getting because under a 3 I don't think people feel those.

I still don't think the west coast is done yet with this round.

[edit on 10-1-2010 by whoshotJR]
I'd be keepin an ear on St. Helens and Ranier. Lots of activity and Ranier is on a watch anyway.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Ok, now then, let me tell you a thing or two about this earthquake. It was a big one and unlike any other earthquake I have ever felt. Seeing as I live only 30 or so miles from the epicenter of the quake I had one hell of a ride.

Here's a breakdown of my experience yesterday: I'm sitting at my computer in my bedroom and I hear an unusually loud bang and thump, like someone slamming a door and rattling the whole house, or someone stomping around on the roof. I looked up, startled, and then BAM! It felt like the house jumped off it's foundation and then felt like the house was being shaken vigorously like a child trying to identify a mysterious present by shaking it. This lasted for about 30 seconds, which felt waay longer, and then for another minute the ground was slowly rolling under my feet. Luckily no damage to the house, nothing fell either, we are safe and sound.

I'll give links to a local newspaper, there was a lot of damage to stores in Eureka and Ferndale but not much elsewhere, these were the closest cities to the quake. A couple buildings in Eureka had large cracks running through them, there was a lot of damage to the local mall. Eureka has pretty old infrastructure, especially in Old Town near the bay. The city is quite dilapidated in my opinion, and I have lived here my whole life.

The thing that scares me is recently (maybe a year ago?) a business was closed down on the waterfront, namely Eureka Ice. It was forced closed due to many safety violations including buildings falling apart, old piping and refrigeration and storage, and illegal disposal. Keep in mind this is a company with thousands of gallons of anhydrous ammonia, which in gas form I believe is fatal? I know at least it is very bad for the health and lungs and this company was literally dumping gallons and gallons of this stuff into the storm drains and sewers.

I do believe that one of the main reasons for the closure of the facility was that it was not retrofitted for earthquake protection, the place would have collapsed had this earthquake happened while it was still around, and that would have released poisonous gases into the city and caused a major catastrophe. Eureka Ice fiasco Please feel free to do a tad bit more research on this, to truly understand how close to being waist deep in s#!t we really were.

Here's our local (Humboldt county) newspaper: Times-Standard . The headlines appear to show a preliminary damage estimate of $12.5 million, with only one major injury. At least, in Eureka that is.

We are most unfortunate to sit right at a triple junction of fault lines, where the San Andreas ends and comes together with the Pacific and Gorda plates. A very active region, seismically. USGS Mendecino Triple Junction

Well, cheery days to all from Humboldt County, the North Coast, home of the Redwoods and big quakes

NEXUS

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Never thought that I would be involved with something like this, however, this particular earthquake event was very unusual and something happened that really scared me.

Over 14 years ago I had an opportunity to be on an "inspection team" that visited the Scientology compound that is located less than 15 miles from the epicenter of this and other major (1992) quakes. We visited this compound post-Waco as Scientology was trying to assure the local government that no weapons were located in this very remote, but large, facility.

maps.google.com...

The compound, one of a dozen worldwide, serves as a record storage location for Scientology records, and is buried in a huge 300 ft long fire/water/quake proof underground vault, with various support structures built above ground. The tour was amazing, and the methods they use to protect and preserve what they think is important to mankind's survival is a story unto itself.

However, to the point. I was in a Jeep, about 3 miles due North of this site, on the Mattole Road headed out to a timber cutting site, about 45 minutes prior to the quake. I saw, very distinctly, a violet colored beam of light shining West towards the ocean from the exact location of the main barn area in the Scientology compound. The light was very bright and distinct and seem to pulse off and on every 15 seconds or so. I didn't think a lot of it, as the compound has huge satellite and other comm dishes on the ground, and I thought it might be related. Locals that live in Petrolia, about 3 miles away, always talk about unusual lights, loud "thrumming" sounds, and unusual vehicles and helicopters seen around the compound over the years it has been there.

Then as I walked back towards my vehicle after marking some trees, the ground began shaking very violently. Limbs fell from the canopy overhead, and the trees swayed for about 25 seconds. I had to clear limbs from the skid road twice, but headed back North on the Mattole Road, and noticed that the light was now gone.

I can't help think that there is a connection. I have no idea who to talk with about this incident. I was alone, and don't know of anyone else in the area that may have seen this light also. On the tour, when I asked why the Scientolgists had built a multi-million dollar facilty that is dedicated to preserving records from disaster in one of the most earthquake prone zones on the Pacific (it is 15 miles from the Cascidia subduction "triple junction") - the guide said "we feel it is better to be closer and plan accordingly", which still makes no sense at all. However, I can't help but think that they are somehow directly involved - especially due to thier fixation on technology and how aliens influenced our culture millions of years ago. To this point, I thought they were just wacky - now, I worry about what exactly they are doing on a bluff 1500 feet overlooking the ocean at one of the most seismically active places on earth?

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by bugler

That sounds really interesting.

If you really wanted to look into it, you could try and find some record of locals talking about the lights/noises (if that's even possible). If you are able to find something like that, I would then compare it to Earthquake history of the area, starting with the time that the building has been there. If, and I mean a big if, you are able to find dates that match up, there could be something to it.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by NoEXcUseS

Good suggestions, Bugler. But before investing the time in direct investigation, you might consider looking up the earthquake activity from say, 10 years prior to the building of the compound and then quakes thereafter. You would also need to know whether any changes have occurred in the sensitivity of monitoring (hopefully something like, "we have increased sensitivity by 10% w/ the introduction of X technology/process" to control for it as needed.)

Then throw it in Excel and produce what's known as a "run chart". Analyzing these are fairly simple and you can find the rules on the net. Run charts can tell you whether there has been a significant change in the data set or whether it is just the "natural variation" that exists in the data. As I said, they are fairly simple to construct and analyze, but if you want some help, U2U me w/ the data points (include magnitudes as well, but in a separate chart & we can check whether they are getting stronger), and I will run and analyze it for you.

An even more statistically precise way of looking at data is called a "control chart", but that gets even more complicated and is a bit harder for the layperson to construct and interpret. You can throw a "trend line" in there which is quite easy, but it isn't all that accurate in telling if real change (google: "special cause") has occurred across a particular data set.

Best of luck! Have you considered doing a thread on your experience at the compound? I for one would LOVE to read it.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by bugler

Wow, that's really interesting! I agree with others, do a little bit more reasearch and start a thread, i'd love to read more! I know that the thought of scientology doesn't sit well with a lot of people, and it wouldnt suprise me at all if something hinky was going on there! Nice work

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a 4.3 mag outside of Riverside, Ca. and followed by a 3.5 mag just off from the aftershocks from the 6.5 the other night.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
This earthquake was predicted on revelation.net using the Bible codes. It said January 9th, 6.5 earthquake. They also predicated world war III for this fall.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Also there are a number of other sources that are saying the big one is coming this fall. If I lived in California, I would be packing my bags right about now.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
If World War III were really coming, why would you be safer outside of CA?

Even the "big one" only does so much damage, particularly where modern building codes are followed.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join