It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food costs to soar as big freeze deepens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Yesterday I created a thread asking a simple question--"is the United States, or the world, about to undergo a food shortage?"
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I suppose my question has been further answered.

Britons have been warned to brace themselves for an increase in food prices as plunging temperatures leave farmers unable to harvest vegetables and hauliers struggle to distribute fresh produce.

Concerns have now switched to food supply. Sub-zero temperatures have made it impossible to extract some vegetables from the ground. Producers of brussels sprouts and cabbages are all reporting problems with harvesting. Cauliflowers are said to have turned to "mush" in the sustained frost, with the result that only imported ones are available – at more than £2 each.

"Food is selling fast and there is a problem with replenishing it," said Stephen Alambritis of the Federation of Small Businesses. "One business I spoke to said it was like Christmas Eve, with people rushing to buy up food. This will inevitably have an impact on food prices."

Food prices have started to edge up after a sustained period of low inflation. Food inflation increased by 3.7% in December, up from 2.8% in November, said the British Retail Consortium.
www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   
basically... in my expereince food has been rising at silly rates for a long time.. (my weekly shop has gone up 50% in the last year, and even that is with changing to cheaper brands, and doing thing sliek growing veg and making my own bread etc)

I am not even sure how they come to the figures they have that food inflation is so low (total BS in my opinion).. any oppotunity to increase the pices is jumped at..

All lies by those in power to ensure the general public are not aware of what they are up to.. I am not sure about the food shortage, but wouldn't be suprised since more and more farmers here are going out of business.

Be nice to see some truth in the world for a change.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Not just related to price but have people noticed they're paying about the same or more for a particular size package while there's less in the package? Not so much canned goods but items that are boxed or bagged. I've noticed some packaged goods where the size of the package itself decreases slightly. Subtle, but it's way of keeping prices relatively stable without increasing cost to the manufacturer.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Graybeard

Yes, many things I used to by that were 12oz packages are now 10oz packages and I have noticed a distinct shrinking of toilet paper and paper towel rolls. Either less sheets, thinner paper or something. Ice cream has changed too. I forget what it is but my friend was showing me when we cleaned out her freezer and found two cartons that were kind of too old to bother opening. Same price, smaller size cartons now. It seems to be doing a nice job of almost slipping under the radar here in the U.S.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
OP, you beat me to it...was just about to post this.

Basically, the 2007 global harvest season was a disaster, leading to a spike of higher prices in 2008. Then the 2008 season was much better, which is why food prices in most places for most things leveled off in 2009. I've been looking at various stats for the 2009 harvest, and it seems to be another bad year (perhaps a VERY bad year), which would point to higher food costs in 2010 around the world. The current cold snap in the northern hemisphere (perhaps seen most dramatically in the UK) will only exacerbate the problem.

Reliable food statistcs are hard to come by, and I believe government agencies (in almost every nation) often if not usually "cook the books" or manipulate stats to make things seem better than they are.

I'll toss this out there, for what its worth: a compilation of links for keeping track of the 2010 food crisis. Eat your heart out (awful pun semi-intended).

[edit on 1/10/10 by silent thunder]

new topics

top topics

join