It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Macromedia Flash?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Did you do something to the code in the last few hours? It keeps telling me that I require flash macromedia to view the page, but I have the most current version installed already. Just wondering if you changed something?

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Does it tell you that you need this on a specific page, Dark?

I'm not experiencing that.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   
It pops up periodically, I can view a page, one time, and it doesnt say it, then another time when I go back it will. Its says I can't view the page without it. But I can. I might just have to reboot. I didnt see any broken images to indicate it was anything on the page. I'll reboot and see if that solves the problem.

[Edited on 25-5-2004 by Darkblade71]

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Rebooted and its still doing it, any ideas?

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Sounds like a problem at your end...try uninstalling flash and reinstalling it, but I'm not sure ATS even uses flash....

Also run a virus scan to make sure your computer isn't infected...I know I have never experienced that on any of the computers I use to access ATS.

Peace,
Lukefj

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Yeah, its a new one for me too here. First time I have had a problem, figured I would post just in case, will do a virus scan, its one of the thoughts I was having too. But figured I would post to see if it was just me or not.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
As I am sitting here scanning for virus's I have 4 hits already. My question is, does this happen a lot from this site? Not this site in general, but perhaps some of the links people supply? I have all the current updates for windows, constant virus shield, but yet I am still getting them? I use a web based e mail system and dont download files, accept for the one the other day from download.com with the spell checker, so I am wondering if its possible that some of the links people suply lead to web virus's? and how can I protect from them? Any pointers? I guess the reason I suspect it came from a link from here was I just did this a few days ago (the 21st) and ATS has been my only web destination in a few weeks. Ever since I got this new computer I seem to be plagued with virus problems. Before this, I only got 2 virus's in 4 years, which is pretty darn good. Maybe its this dumb norton anti virus...I always used AVG before.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Well, I had a flash problem, maybe due to Sunday.s Midwest storms.
My Flash was apparently gone. Pages like Yahoo and MyWay would load veeeeery slowly, and the pictures not at all. My ISP suggested I just re-install Flash. Works fine now.

Except, some of the avatars on ATS don't show.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   
What are the viruses, DB? I have been using Norton/Symantec products at work and home for years without any incidents of viruses or worms slipping by (as long as the signatures were up to date). AVG is a good product, though.

Some worms can spread over internet connections without the user having to do anything, open an attachment, etc. but you are usually safe if you have your MS Windows patched with the latest security fixes.

Do a spyware sweep while you are at it and see what that turns up.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   
It could be Norton, I use AVG and think it works great. One thing you may want to consider is Spybot Search and Destroy you can set it to block downloads of nasty things. I know with this running that some of the links do go to places that have spyware.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
The last incident on the 21st was the sassr virus,My computer kept rebooting, and I had to reinstall my entire windows and download all updats again (a pain). I am thinking maybe this is spyware. Once its done scanning I will report back what it says if its a virus. Its still going, but I noticed this verson of norton checks for spyware and virri. So far its detected 8 things.
Yeah, I had spybot before I reinstalled my windows. Shoudl get that again and get avg and ditch norton, I'm not happy with it...lol

[Edited on 25-5-2004 by Darkblade71]

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I like having several layers running....I have my security set so that I get notified for any download including cookies. I also run Ad-aware for things Spybot may not get. It seems alot more of whats out on the internet falls under the heading of Spyware now.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I was surprised the first time I ran spybot, I had 129 different spyware hits...lol Thats a great program.

Something else I did notice about things that are not showintg up on this site all of a sudden, the warning tags people get are blank to me. Has something changed in the way they are displayed? I'm trying to track down problems from a strictly visual aspect between my computer and this site. They displayed fine the other day.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Since this is a problem that occurs on some pages and not others I would venture a guess and offer that someone has probably attempted to link their avatar to a flash file.

The ATS website does not support Flash avatars of course and for that reason you could go to the pages where this is occuring and see if there are any avatars that are coming up with the little white box with a red "X" in it...

Quite possibly the member who would have posts on every page this occurs on with a red "X" where their avatar should be is your Flash culprit.

Natalie~

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Whats odd thought is its happening when I go the the recent posts page as well. I thought maybe it was a banner, but when I look over the page, I dont see any broken pictures, so its not that I guess. Its something on my end most likely.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Everything checks out as spyware, so my guess is thats what my problem is most likely...gonna remove it all and see if it stops.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Do this:
find a page this happens on, go to VIEW menu at top of window (Microsoft IE) and select SOURCE... the html source code should come up in notepad (Windows machine) - then do a quick "Control F" type in Macromedia and hit enter - if it comes up with a "Not Found" then the issue is with your box and not the web page itself.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Some of the banners from RightMedia are built with Flash, so that might be where you're getting the indication to install Flash. Also, we're removed FastClick banners from the main site, as they were imposing some improper banners (pop-ups, installers, etc.) in some places.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Thanks inter and S-O.

Was my problem, which I figured out...yup yup...

*slaps forhead*

its just odd that it would start to come up today for the first time and not any other day.

I had to reinstall the activ x macromedia.

new topics

top topics

join