It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apocalypse Man

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
This is a thread about the new show and
how to survive AFTER the shtf!
Has anyone seen it on History channel yet?
Its not too bad.
He even showed how to break into places
and hot wire a car!
I wonder how long that will last.
What do you all think, are these shows just playing off fear,
or are they merely preparing us mentally for a shtf scenario,
because they secretly know theres a good chance of it happening?
It is part of Armageddon week btw.

Anyway, first tip from the show:
Schools and hospitals should have backup power.
He shows how to make a pump to get fuel out of underground tanks.
He also shows how to make fuel.
From the website:

Government authorities say it's "not if... but when"...a moment in the future when, just as it has in the past, some catastrophe sparks mass destruction, leaving humans challenged to find shelter, heat, food, water and defense. If that happens, would you know what to do? Survival expert Rudy Reyes journeys through abandoned buildings showing us some surprising survival techniques, including making fire from steel wool, finding safe houses and creating shortwave radio transmissions.

www.history.com... ... eId=524654

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Great show! I don't think its a good idea to do all the jumping around he does. If you sprained an ankle or broke a leg, you would be in serious trouble. Did you see him climb the draw bridge? The how to do it, very cool. As far as actually doing it under those circumstances...again, very risky. Do you think that heading into a city after Mad Max World is declared is a good idea?

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
it would be nice if they have episodes with winter, fire, flood scenarios aswell. i liked the 1st time i watched it.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
hI, GREAT POST!

I love this dude, myself being a former marine, have thought about that day when I'd have to fend for myself like a wild animal. Fortunately, apathetic kids will just surf right by this show for American Idol, Melrose Place, or some "reality show". I think they already know how to hotwire cars and break into buildings and such. Yesterday I took a hike in the hills & found a gravity bong setup made out of a pail of water, 2 liter soda bottle, & a milk jug topped off with a spark plug for the air inlet. Anyways, just thought I'd like to nullify any fears out there. Ganja tokin kids are just as creative and can be just as helpful when the SHTF. Point is when the SHTF our green currency will be worth nothing and you better have the skills of Apocalypse Man.... and a giant sack of bud for smoking,

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Klaatumagnum

I think a big city might be too risky.
I was thinking maybe smaller cities and towns.
I kept wondering where all the people were!

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by dodadoom
I was thinking maybe smaller cities and towns.

I think you're right, but only because small towns and cities have connections to farmers who they will protect for the production of food.

It depends on you, though, and if you're going to break into houses and steal cars. The first thing people do after the system breaks down is organize and they won't be in a mood to put up with any silliness from outsiders.

In a very small town of less than 50,000, everyone knows, or at least recognises everyone else. They've always been a close-knit bunch. A newcomer would be scrutinzed instantly. Unless you have reason to be there (uncle Jebediah or Aunt Lucinda) you will not be automatically trusted and, possibly, even feared and watched. In a shtf scenario they will not be willing to share their resources and, unless you can convince them of your usefulness, be bounced out of town by a bunch of locals carrying shotguns.

In a small city of up to 100,000, you'd have more of a chance to be accepted, but once again depending on how you come across. In such a place, there will already have been problems with a percentage of local population who prey on others for easy pickings. Forget about law enforcement (shtf doesn't have cops) because those are the ones they will shoot on sight and if you are seen in that light, your chances of being accepted are about as good as a looter. The thing is, not everyone knows everyone else, so your chances of being accepted are better, but only if you join in protecting the community you wind up living in. You're going to have to sleep somewhere.

In a large city, you are on your own unless you get yourself into a gang. The big metroplis has no way to get food and the fighting will soon be over the remaining scraps. The smart ones will get out and take their chances elsewhere.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by There Once Was Man]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Sorry bud but you got beat a few days ago on the post. Pretty sure yours is now number 3.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Please refer discussion to this thread!
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Thanks!

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Anyone else notice the unique 'tire iron' the host used?

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
@ NOTHING 4 NO ONE

I watched this show too and learned some useful things. And marijuana could be extremely useful in a Mad Max world, besides providing an escape when all hell breaks loose. Harvest some of the seeds and grow your own hemp: it can be used for clothing, rope, sails, and even has nutritional content. Marijuana can also be used to revitalize soils that have become completely stripped of useful minerals.

new topics

top topics

join