It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "benefit" of welfare?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
We all know the correlation between poverty and crime.

The poor, the higher chances of being involved in crime.

That is because if you have nothing to live for, you have nothing to fear.

So does anyone else think that the state gives out "so much" welfare so people do not revolt/commit crimes? I think it has NOTHING to do with feeding the poor, but just keeping them from getting hungry and robbing the local store or bank.

Comments?

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Our economic system has an "ideal" unemployment rate which functions to keep the price of labor low. (Supply of labor greater than demand=price low) This ideal figure is 5%. I would say that welfare is a way to as you say, keep this surplus of labor from becoming problematic in many ways. (politically as well as criminally) It is a way for businesses to have their cake and eat it too. We are also propagandized to believe that "those people" on welfare are lazy and that they dont want to work. We completely ignore the fact that our system is not designed for full employment on purpose, and that we pay these people to be poor simply to keep wages down across the board.

Illegal immigration is another mechanism for keeping supply of labor high, and labor cost low without the PTB ever having to admit that they are the ones who are designing it that way. The "blame" for both welfare and low wages is conveniently scapegoated outward onto the groups being exploited themselves. In this case, the poorest Americans and illegal immigrants.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Great explanation, and all I can say is that we are in agreement.

Nothing fascinates me more than economics and it seems we have missed this topic so far in my introduction classes (half way done).

Then again, I guess that would be in the political science school

join