It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Things We Don't Have Now That We Did in the Great Depression

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
-----OIL RESERVES----then we had plenty--now nothing to speak of---FERTILE FARMLAND---then we had plenty--now polluted soil--STEEL INDUSTRY--then top of the game--now--well im laughing----MANAGABLE POPULATION---then we had one --now its out of control--CHRISTIAN IDEALS--we had them but now its lost for the most part---I could go on with glogal warming and the rapid changing of all the weather, but i am sure you all get my point. We are not comming out of this depression since the things needed to achieve this seem to have dissapered

Removed 'All Caps' from title.

[edit on 9/1/10 by masqua]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by itsawild1
--CHRISTIAN IDEALS--

[edit on 9/1/10 by masqua]

I don't need to be Christian to survive a depression. Take that out, and I agree.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by Phlynx]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
We do not have oil reserves? Please Google Prudhoe Bay Also the recent discovery in the Midwest.

Population explosion directly linked to both illegal and legal immigration over the last 30 years. Please do research on the birthrate versus immigration and you will find the truth.

Since the 30's the US has actually cleaned up a lot of it's act on agricultural practices. Do you know what crop rotation is? Or do you know why the Dust Bowl occurred? Speak with a farmer please, I grew up on a farm and for your information-it is still there growing food for you to eat!

Steel Industry is gone because our governmental decision to allow a global governance agenda which requires the US to be reduced to the same level as the rest of the world. See incremental destruction of ANYONE excelling in ANYTHING.

Deny Ignorance.

THE endisnighe of ignorance!

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Men and women with the knowledge, intestinal fortitude and physical ability to do whatever it takes to provide food, clothing and shelter for themselves and their families. The majority of today's adult generation were given everything by their parents and now consider the government as their parental equivalent now that they are "own their own". Comparing depression era people to today's generation is akin to comparing the settlers of America's west to the attendees of the Oscars award ceremonies.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Well not only did they have the fortitude they had the FREEDOM to produce for themselves what they needed.

The freedom to own cheap land, the freedom to breed their farm animals and drink and eat from said animals as they pleased.

In the depression era there were a good part of the US population still using horses as transportation. If you needed to get to "work" or go somewhere you didn't have to worry about car insurance, affording gasoline, or even buying a car. If you needed an extra car you just bred a new one. Life was not just different back then it was MORE FREE! That's what people fail to realize. We all sit here and oooh and ahhh over technology........but this same technology is simply a means to enslave and control us all. The car is a perfect example. The US population can't go anywhere or do anything with their car. But you can't "make" your own car. You have to pay someone else to get a car, pay someone else be able to drive it. Car insurance, taxes, fees, etc. 21st century life is devoid of liberty and freedom and it's getting worse.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Back then you took whatever job you could find and did it as well as you could.

This whole notion of being "too good" for certain jobs is foreign and new.

We have an over-abundance of whining crybabies who wouldnt and couldnt do for themselves anything man has been doing for himself all throughout history to this point.

Cant change your oil, cant unclog a sink, cant change a fuse, cant butcher a carcass, cant make bread, cant build a simple wooden box, cant do anything but bitch and play Halo.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Some excellent comment here. The one thing I could add we DID have back then was passenger train service. We have now, um...Amtrak

People were far more resilient back then. Both my parents grew up in the depression and my dad never missed a day of work being sick. Those people just never quit I tell you.
If I'm not mistaken we also had more water available for public use or for irrigation. Our aquifers are nearly tapped out and our entire landscape has been irrevocably altered to their detriment.
Believe it or not we do have more forest land than back then ( I know it sounds crazy but it's true).
The lack of knowledge and resources will quickly start to bring the population down, our cities will become deadzones if we have a real depression again.
Interesting thread.

top topics

join