It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 50 crazy laws

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
In Michigan there was old law on books that upon being released from Fed prison. you were to receive a horse, a rifle, and a twenty dollar gold piece.

Well this guy pushed the point, which they gave him a horse , a twenty dollar gold piece, a rifle, then they arrested him for felon in possession of a fire arm.

This was in Michigan where the last person executed in Michigan took place, they hung some poor guy that weighted over 400 pounds, ripped his head off.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by googolplex]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
In Carlisle, Cumbria, UK it is your legal duty, if you see two or more scotsmen in the streets after 6pm, to shoot them in the kneecaps with a crossbow as it can be seen as an invasion of England. Lol, thats a silly by-law that was never changed from like the 18th century or something.

EDIT: I noticed that a similar one was brought up in the OP, I can say for fact that my version exists as I have seen the original law documents in a museum in Carlisle.

[edit on 9/1/10 by woogleuk]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
32) Thailand: It is illegal to leave your house if you are not wearing underwear.

I'm glad I don't live there or I'd be busted.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

So if these are indeed truly accurate, #13 makes all those folks that jumped from the twin towers on 9/11 guilty; and had they survived that ordeal, they would have been put to death? We americans are indeed ignorant beyond belief.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Number 1 is not only a good law........it's smart. I'd bet the punishment for breaking it by the authorities is less than you'd recieve from your wife.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
No 8 Athens is false ....

I live in Crete but laws are same and equal for all people in Greece...

I haven t bothered reading the rest allthough i assume some might be true

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by VenusOnTheHalfShell

So if these are indeed truly accurate, #13 makes all those folks that jumped from the twin towers on 9/11 guilty; and had they survived that ordeal, they would have been put to death? We americans are indeed ignorant beyond belief.

Americans, yes I am one, for the most part are ignorant (I am not however).

However, that law is incorrect. If you try and jump off a building/bridge/whatever and you survive, you will not be put to death. If this were true than a lot more people would jump off buildings that way they could try to not die on purpose (i.e. jump off 3 story building instead of some sky scraper) and then be killed by the government/state whatever. That way it is no longer suicide and therefore for those who believe that suicide will give you a one way pass to hell (which I do not believe, nor believe in hell for that matter) will find their loophole.

And if this IS (which it is not) true, could I not take a very large life insurance policy out, purposely not die while trying to "commit suicide" (setting it up correctly as to not die) and then be put to death therefore the policy pays out still? Because I know if you commit suicide it waves the contact with the insurance company to pay out your insurance to whomever it was for.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Here's a good one:

In Victoria, Australia, it's illegal to refuse a police officer when they request that you take off all your clothes, in public.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
Awww you missed the best one off the list!

In Chico, California, it’s written as illegal to detonate a nuclear device within city limits under penalty of a $500 fine.

So don't do it!

Are you sure that's not Davis, CA? Could be both but I know Davis is a nuclear free city and it's illegal to have any nuclear device there...everytime I drive by on the freeway there's a sign that says "Davis - Nuclear Free"

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Wasn't there a law that forbid's C-walking in church during work hours?

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by the_grand_pooh-bah

DAMN YOU!

I have been wounded..........you beat me to it.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
What would be great would be to get some people and do flashmob kind of scenes where someone does these things that are crazy and legal. A few cameramen and a lawyer with a lawbook right there handy to show to cops that it's indeed allowed by the law. They would of course then have to go around it by charging with disordelry conduct, resisting without violence or failure to obey a lawful order. Then the courts would have to take the case and make a judgement of these old laws. Who and how it is decided if they're outdated and how to deal with that etc.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Lol

Some others

OHIO: It is illegal to get fish drunk!

FRANCE: naming a pig Napoleon

BAHRAIN: a male doctor can only examine the genitals of a woman in the reflection of a mirror

VERMONT: women must obtain written permission from their husbands to wear false teeth

MILAN: it is a legal requirement to smile at all times, except funerals or hospital visits

JAPAN: there is no age of consent

here are some Other English Laws I found:

(1) It is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British king or queen's image upside-down

(2) It is illegal for a woman to be topless in Liverpool except as a clerk in a tropical fish store

(3) Eating mince pies on Christmas Day is banned (Oliver Cromwell's doing)

(4) If someone knocks on your door in Scotland and requires the use of your toilet, you are required to let them enter

(5) It is illegal to enter the Houses of Parliament wearing a suit of armour

(6) It is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls of York, but only if HE is carrying a bow and arrow

(7) Firing a cannon close to a dwelling house (Met Police Act 1839)

(8) The use of any slide upon ice or snow (Town Police Clauses Act 1847)

(9) Driving cattle through the streets of London (Metropolitan Streets Act 1867)

(10) All men, aged 16+ MUST practice Archery every sunday, or face a term in prison

(11) Halifax Gibbet: if the prisoner could escape before the axe fell and run north around 600 paces out of the area boundry - he was free as long as he never returned to the area, on one occasion a Mr. John Lacy who escaped the infamous Gibbet, returned after 7 years and was captured & executed

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
I wonder how many of these laws continue to be valid? I also suspect that some of them, like the rule about needing a hunting license to set a mouse trap in California, are made up. Many of the American laws would be unconstitutional and should have been repealed by the legislatures.

I'd have to say that if they are on record then they are valid. Until either repealed or a precident is set that renders them unconstitutional.

Someone should tie up their elephant at a perking meter in orlando and find out

Thanks for the laugh OP to few these days im afraid

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by findlesticks
Lol

(3) Eating mince pies on Christmas Day is banned (Oliver Cromwell's doing)

What an interesting reference

It is a common myth that Cromwell personally ‘banned’ Christmas during the mid seventeenth century. Instead, it was the broader Godly or parliamentary party, working through and within the elected parliament, which in the 1640s clamped down on the celebration of Christmas and other saints’ and holy days, a prohibition which remained in force on paper and more fitfully in practice until the Restoration of 1660. There is no sign that Cromwell personally played a particularly large or prominent role in formulating or advancing the various pieces of legislation and other documents which restricted the celebration of Christmas,

www.olivercromwell.org...

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Going by those laws i'm an internationally wanted criminal in a number of countries.

Good to know.

EDIT

And i have now decided to make it my mission in life to find a pregnant woman, wave the nearest policemen over and demand his helmet!

[edit on 10-1-2010 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   

MILAN: it is a legal requirement to smile at all times, except funerals or hospital visits

LOL

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   

One to add;In Minnesota if you see three or more Indians in a canoe they can be shot as a war party.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Don't hurt anything.

Don't steal anything.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by constantwonder

Thank you for your clarification, so are mince pies banned? lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join