It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palin’s snub of conservative conference raises many questions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
rawstory.com...

Former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin's rejection of an invitation to speak at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) in February is arousing widespread criticism and speculation, especially in light of her headliner role at the National Tea Party Convention scheduled for just two weeks earlier.

CPAC has been the primary yearly get-together for movement conservatives for decades. It was the scene last year of Rush Limbaugh's keynote address, in which he called on conservatives to take back the country and effectively established himself as the leader of the Republican Party.

Palin turned down an invitation to last year's festivities as well -- but that was before the rise of the Tea Party movement had raised the stakes on all sides.

Mainstream observers tend to see Palin's decision as a lapse in judgment. Politico, for example,suggests that her choice to go with the "high energy, anti-establishment tea party movement" instead of the more established CPAC has "renewed questions about her political judgment and brought scrutiny on the Tea Party Convention."

It looks like the TPM has it's Leader. Will this turn of events splinter the GOP into an ineffectual party and in turn lose national elections?
I actually applaud exGov. Palin making a decision to support a third party.
Added input into the American political spectrum is a good thing even if I disagree with it.

Also interesting....

Marc Ambinder at The Atlantic further points out that "Money could also be an issue: Palin charges $100,000 for speaking appearances, and CPAC, as a policy, doesn't pay its speakers. If that were part of the issue, it wouldn't be the first time Palin's speaking fees prevented her from addressing an influential conservative crowd."

Perhaps exGov. Palin is in it for the money.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Palin is commiting political suicide if she bolts the Repubs and becomes the TPM "leader", though I think her future is limited no matter where she goes.
She will have permantly marginalized herself, though I think this move appeals to her massive ego. This says volumes about her judgement, though I think this will be lost on the TPM itself. The TP'ers seem to have deluded themselves into thinking they represent a majority, they do not. The lack of any unifying platform, plus the "party" itself doom Palin to an asterisk in the history books. She is aligning herself with a pretty shakey base, many of which are regarded as nuts by mainstream America. Palin herself will be regarded as a nut ( more so than now) when she essentialy makes herself responsible for the behavior of her supporters.
Bye Bye Sarah! Ten years from now she will reside in total obscurity.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by OldDragger

Oh yeah, and she will have a LOT of money.
I think that's glarlingly obvious at this point. The TB'ers will gladly fork over their bucks to her, just like a TV evangelist.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by OldDragger]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Palin / Steele 2012 Teabagger Party.
There both out for the money and full of s***. Why not make it a team effort.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by JBA2848]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
She is a quitter. Please, please, Sarah- go away.

Her popularity to this point is based on looks (I'm a guy, she is hot), and her "wholesomeness" and the way she carries herself. That's it. Not a solution for the Repubs...not a solution for the Independents....just a distraction....TPTB love distractions...keeps us busy.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals

HA HA HA HA! don't you wish she would!

Everytime Sarah does something unorthodox and unexpected EVERYNE goes ballistic and claims it will be her demise. Just like they did when she left the Alaskan governorship that was supposed to be the end of her political career and we all know what has happened since... :lol

Go Sarah Go!!! giv'em hell baby!!

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by joey_hv

supposed to be the end of her political career and we all know what has happened since... :lol

Uh huh.
And what HAs happened again? Where exactly has her political career gone? As far as I know she's doing the speech circuit and might be in the Tea Bag Party....and...?

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by joey_hv

Originally posted by Signals

HA HA HA HA! don't you wish she would!

Everytime Sarah does something unorthodox and unexpected EVERYNE goes ballistic and claims it will be her demise. Just like they did when she left the Alaskan governorship that was supposed to be the end of her political career and we all know what has happened since... :lol

Go Sarah Go!!! giv'em hell baby!!

I don't think that way, Joey.

If she became the Republican nominee for 2012, Obama would have an instant win!

So, come on, Palin! Work your butt off, girl!

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Mak Manto

I can't really figure out who or what is the driving force behind exGov. Palin. I suppose it's just the CT in me that tries to see behind the curtain.

We probably won't know until we see who finances her campaign; IF and that's a big IF she decides to run and is nominated.

But obviously she has star power, charisma and looks enough to garner a fair number of people that hang on her every word and excuse the most blatant lies and foolishness.

As exmilitary; God help us if she ever becomes CinC.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Tea Party protesters are only considered nuts by Liberal Democrats(And other Pro Obama folks) out there. I agree with the protesters,they have hit the nail on the head.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
I actually applaud exGov. Palin making a decision to support a third party.
Added input into the American political spectrum is a good thing even if I disagree with it.

I do, too. And I even agree with some of the tea party's positions. Ultimately, if Palin does become their leader, her support of the TPs and rejection of the GOP is going to split the party, though. That's OK with me, too. Go Sarah!

Perhaps exGov. Palin is in it for the money.

Perhaps? Are you kidding? She sniffs out money like a hound sniffs out a meaty bone. That is her main motivation and she's not too secretive about it. Sadly, her followers don't even know that they're being used to stuff her purse.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by MDSJR1967

Tea Party protesters are only considered nuts by Liberal Democrats(And other Pro Obama folks) out there. I agree with the protesters,they have hit the nail on the head.

no...they are considered nuts by the vast majority of people...maybe if they didn't use nazi, devil, marx, stalin, images of Obama, they might be taken seriously.
i guess Obama putting back in place, habeus corpus, made them angry...or Obama ordering that torture be discontinued made them angry...or gitmo being closed made them angry...or providing states with funds so they wouldn't go broke made them angry...or extending unemployment benefits made them angry, or pumping billions into infrastructure rebuilding made them angry, or getting millions of people healthcare made them angry.
yup...helping people that are not wealthy , makes the tea party angry.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Another thought as to why Palin would go with the TPers... In the GOP, she is a small fish in a big pond. In the TP, she's a big fish in a small pond. More ego food.

jimmy, they do seem to be a hate-filled bunch, don't they? Well, Palin fits right in.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

hey BH ...how was your new year? i see you and i tend to seek out the same threads. i agree with you that palin is only after the money. look how she now is a paid "consultant" for FOX news. no volunteer work for that lady, that's for sure. she's simply a distraction for the media, while the GOP gets it's act together for the upcoming elections. it's the classic "watch this hand, while i pick your pocket with the other" charade that has gone on in republican politics for a long time.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

I agree with Sean Hannity on the torture thing. I have no problem with officials torturing terrorists,if that's what it takes to stop a terrorist act and save lives!

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I do, too. And I even agree with some of the tea party's positions. Ultimately, if Palin does become their leader, her support of the TPs and rejection of the GOP is going to split the party, though. That's OK with me, too. Go Sarah!

The political spectrum is changing big time. The tea partiers who support Palin are just a fraction of that whole movement and I think she hurts it because many just flat out cannot stand her...including myself.

I think Liberals should join the Tea Party movement. In the end, everyone wants the same thing.

More jobs/manufacturing, an end to corruption and debt, holding the banksters accountable and auditing the federal reserve.

The Tea Party movement is the populist movement and I'm glad that people are starting to realize it instead of demonizing them.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by David9176

The Tea Party movement is the populist movement and I'm glad that people are starting to realize it instead of demonizing them.

D. I'm not so sure the TPM is a populist movement anymore. I see the GOP using the TPm as a clever ploy to get disaffected republicans back into the fold by fooling them into believing they are in fact joining a 3rd party.

The scenario as I see it.....

Before the elections, the TPM will fold with the leaders saying "we are to small to influence elections; don't throw your vote away...Vote GOP"

Never underestimate the intelligence and lust for control of the neocons. I believe the strategy for the TPM was hatched during Ws reign. As in most things, follow the money...

politics.theatlantic.com...

Political decisions are made on the golf course in secret in very exclusive country clubs far from the prying eyes of the press and plebiscite.

Politics is just the entertainment arm of the corporate world. G. Carlin I think....

[edit on 16-1-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Before the elections, the TPM will fold with the leaders saying "we are to small to influence elections; don't throw your vote away...Vote GOP"

For the 2010 elections...i do agree that it's possible. 2012 will be different though IMO as the younger generations come out much stronger on presidential election years. Unemployment will also still by high by then as well...with thousands of college graduates flooding the job market with no jobs available.

Yes, this 2010 will be a GOP year. I think 2012 will be far different though...at least that is my prediction. The political landscape is changing...I don't think any of us are sure how it's going to change. If republicans gain seats they will now also have the heat turned up on them. Cutting corporate taxes will do nothing for most of the country...which they will soon find out.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
As a hater of the GOP, I really, really, sincerely hope that Sarah Palin is the Republican nominee.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Very much so.

reply to post by David9176

David, I thank that whaaa and I come from a time when there were conservative Democrats and liberal Republicans, a time when politicians regularly crossed aisles to broker bills good for their voters. The coalescing of the GOP around their cultural, religious issues started in the late 1970's and has led to a party locked into narrow thinking and authoritarian behavior, totally different than the one I grew up with.

Thus, while I agree that people need to come together over issues you mentioned, I do not think this is now possible through the TPM, as the fingerprints of the GOP are all over it.

Citizens need a movement to wrest govt away from corporate control.

Back to whaaaa ....

whaaa, Glenn Beck's interview of Sarah Palin gave me a creepy feeling of a similarity with what my sons would do in the bathroom with their hidden copy of Playboy. All they could do was look at a stimulating picture, much the same way all Glenn etal can do is look.

I think back to Bob Hope's USO shows in VietNam, where sexy, entertaining women could provide support for the troops. No wonder McCain chose her! But CinC? Not in this increasingly complex, intellectually challenging world. We've gone from Jimmy Carter, a Naval Academy graduate who understood nuclear power, to a CinC who couldn't pronounce the word nuclear correctly. I would be the first to endorse SP, if she were qualified for something bigger than a USO show.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join