It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stages of enlightenment/ego/pineal gland.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Enlightenment is something I assumed you either are or are not. I am now beginning to think it is some thing that must be worked upon and has set stages. I think many of us reach one of these stages and assume as it is so different from our pre awakened self that we have infact reached enlightenment..when maybe we are at the stage of "illumination" or "God realization".

God-Realisation - the terms Self-Realisation and God-Realisation are sometimes used to distinguish levels of expanded consciousness. It is as though a self-realised person has "made contact with it" or "found it", but the dissolution of the ego is not yet complete. When the ego (or ahamkara) has complete disappeared, the person is said to be God-Realised. I think at one time the terms Swami and Paramahansa may have correlated with these levels of awareness (a Swami would be Self-Realised, a Paramahansa or Avatar God-Realised), but today it seems that almost anyone can become a Swami! Another way of viewing this, is that as the individual ego dissolves the Divine Will manifests through the personality - "not my will, but thine".

Awakening - this is a general term describing expansion in consciousness. Most teachers agree that it proceeds in stages or levels. A change can occur abruptly, so that one may feel that they have suddenly become "enlightened" - however, as Mariana Caplan points out in her book (cited above), there are many such experiences, each one bringer a greater level of awareness. The first level of awakening that a student experiences is not necessarily "self-realisation".

Illumination - a higher state of development, whereby you have "found the light". Just another term for enlightenment.

Nirvana - literally means blowing out (as of a flame). The annihilation of desire, passion and the ego. A higher state of consciousness characterised by a state of freedom and bliss. Buddhists often talk about Nirvana as the goal. Nirvana is typically considered a higher state than Self-realisation.

Samadhi - the final stage in Patanjali's 8-step yoga sutras. A state of deep meditation in which there is complete communion with God. Within Samadhi, 8 further states of consciousness are defined - refer Patanjali's Yoga sutras. Or just two fundamental types of Samadhi - Sabikalpa Samadhi (Self-Realisation), and Nirbikalpa Samadhi (God-Realisation).

Moksha = liberation, Mukti = freedom. Hence a Jivanmukti is one who has found liberation whilst living in a physical body. This term is often found in Hindu texts.

Christ Consciousness or 4th Dimension/Density Consciousness - this term is generally used in the New Age community. Jesus was supposed to have attained the state of Christ Consciousness, which is said to be level of consciousness we attain as we move into 4th density consciousness. Some texts describe 12 different levels within the 4th Density. I think this is just another way of describing Self-Realisation and God-Realisation.

www.inthelight.co.nz...

I found this site today after searching for information on the ego and how it limits the pineal gland, but found this site so interesting I thought Id share it.

Note how it states a teacher is required, I used to think a teacher was not required, that we can achieve enlightenment without a teacher, but as this site states the stage of mind-body-ego consciousness identification requires a teacher. Do we need a teacher? Did you reach a point and a teacher was needed? I know I did and found this part very difficult, having no teacher. Many false teachers come too which is another issue to work through.

I am also fascinated by how the ego slows or prevents enlightenment. I remember reading an article that says the "ego" as it grows and develops actually pushes "physically" on the left side of the brain causing calcification of the pineal gland. This gland is a major part in awarness.

On the other side of the third ventricle, not far away from the pituitary, is the pineal gland. Medical science knows that the pineal is active during childhood, then as it starts to turn off during puberty, the thymus gland is also switched off, and the sex glands develop. Mystically, the pineal is known as the King, and when activated it is the gland which allows direct perception of higher consciousness and contact with other dimensions.

In most people, the pineal gland is prevented from developing because it is robbed of kundalini energy by the reproductive glands. Meditation techniques are used to redirect a small part of energy back to the thymus and pineal gland. Complete abstinence from sex is not required to achieve this. Indeed complete abstinence can reduce the flow of kundalini energy in the body. What happens is that kundalini energy is drawn up the spine where it interacts with the pituitrin produced in the pituitary gland to produce small quantities of another substance, which finds its way through little pathways in the brain to the pineal gland. Over time, this slowly activates the pineal gland, and as the gland opens in stages so does ones capacity to perceive greater levels of enlightenment.

Has anyone else read/heard of this theory, that the actual ego can cause physical pressure resulting in calcification of the pineal gland? (Sorry I cant find the site I read this theory on )

[edit on 9-1-2010 by Mr Green]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Hi there!! Welcome back to ATS. Nice topic you got there.
I'd like to go a little further. To my personal point of view, freedom starts within the mind. Enlightenment is spiritual in nature, in other words, it's when an ego believes there is a higher power above. When humans will discover the true nature of the thinking process, and start to study all the inner workings of the psyche, they will start the process of freeing themselves from any and all manipulations that are imposed on the mind.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by lagenese
Hi there!! Welcome back to ATS. Nice topic you got there.
I'd like to go a little further. To my personal point of view, freedom starts within the mind. Enlightenment is spiritual in nature, in other words, it's when an ego believes there is a higher power above. When humans will discover the true nature of the thinking process, and start to study all the inner workings of the psyche, they will start the process of freeing themselves from any and all manipulations that are imposed on the mind.

Yes the mind has many manipulations upon many levels and realities. It is only now I am starting to see our true nature. I once did a thread on what enlightenment actually was, I think now it is being aware and in complete contact with your higher soul self completely free of all dimensional/entity/psychic manipulations...not easy to achieve and requires great inner work.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Green

The real freedom comes when the soul, purified ego and spirit are in perfect harmony, in other words, in a perfect alignment, with no karmic memories. The biggest problem humans have is their own beliefs, which brings them away from their own cosmic identity. Identity is knowing, without interference or influence.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
The need to believe is part of the egoic insecurity towards the infinity of life and the mysteries of life.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by lagenese

The real freedom comes when the soul, purified ego and spirit are in perfect harmony, in other words, in a perfect alignment, with no karmic memories. The biggest problem humans have is their own beliefs, which brings them away from their own cosmic identity. Identity is knowing, without interference or influence.

You put it wonderfully, yes this is exactly what i have found freedom is to be found from. freedom from all, even that which we think as freedom but is not. This is the manipulation, that we are made to feel we have reached a level of enlightenment that is freedom of the soul but upon closer inspection it is not a perfect alignment.

To reach our true cosmic identity we must be prepared to give up all we think we are, we must totally empty our cup and allow pure knowing to fill it back up. We must be prepared to stare into infinity, accept it and surrender to it, something as you say the ego finds unbearable. Our trinity to become as one without interference . We may think we are enlightened but are possibly only in one of the early stages.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   

"When the foetus is about 2/3 months old in the mother's womb, the column of rays of consciousness emitted through the all-pervading Divine Love, passes through the brain to enlighten it. The shape of the human brain being prism-like, the column of rays falling on it gets refracted into four diverse channels corresponding to the four aspects of the nervous system:

1)Parasympathetic nervous system
2)Sympathetic nervous system(right)
3)Sympathetic nervous system(left)
4)Central nervous system

1) The set of rays that falls on the fontanel bone (apex of the head known as Taloo) pierces in the centre and passes straight into medulla oblongata through a channel(Sushumna). This energy, after leaving a very thread-like thin line in the medulla oblongata, settles down in 3 1/2 coils in the triangular bone placed at the end of the spinal cord (Mooladhar). This is known as 'Kundalini'. The subtle energy enters through the centre of the brain (Sahasrar Brahmarandhra)and precipitates on its way in six more centres. The gross manifestation of this subtle energy in the "Sushumna" channel of the spinal cord is termed as "Parasympathetic nervous system" and "chakras" are expressed as plexuses outside the spinal cord....Later when ego and superego bloat up like balloons and cover our brain at the apex of the left and right sympathetic nervous systems, the fontanel bone gets calcified and the all-pervading vital force of the Divine gets cut off completely."(Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi from a pamphlet - Sahaja Yoga: A Unique Discovery".)

I have found the information on how the actual EGO causes calcification of the pineal gland and cuts off our connection to the divine.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Do we need a teacher?

I think the question might be missing the point. "Enlightenment," roughly speaking, is growing to become aware of the sum total of all that is.

A "teacher" may be any thing that is perceived by the "student" as an "external other." If a person walks through the woods, and has a spiritual experience with the trees, is it not fair to describe the woods as a "teacher?"

The whole point here is coming to be aware of the union of self with other. To realize and perceive that there is no other apart from self. But if you perceive portions of your self as other, how can you realize you are one without at least coming into contact with them?

In this sense, yes a "teacher" may be required. But to limit the concept to the idea of a mere human guru, is I think very misleading.

Stages of enlightenment

I won't dispute that there may be trends and measureable "plateaus" in any progression. But I wonder if labeling them in this case is helpful at all? There are many paths between two points. To illustrate, let us consider two dots:

Point A Point B
. .

As an external oberver, you might arbitrarily draw lines between Point A and Point B to mark progress between them. For example:

Point A B
0% 25% 50% 75% 100%
. | | | .

Here we've marked progress between the two points. And we might give those marks names. Let's call 25% the attainment of "Foo Consciousness." And let's call 50% the attainment of "Strawberry Ice Cream Consciousness."

Do these names really help you walk the path between the dots?

And...might they interfere? For example, as mentioned, there is not merely one path between those points. A person might walk in this way:

Point A Point B

___2___
/ \ __
/ \ / \
| .-- | / \.
| \ / 4
\ | / /
1 / 3______/
---

Here we've marked the "progress" along the path in a very different way. And so let us ask...the person who takes this path between Point A and POint B...when they are at position 1, what shall we name the type of consciousness they have attained? What about position 3? They have attained the 50% "Strawberry Ice Cream" level of consciousness, but have retreated away from it. What do we call that? Do we say that they have backtracked and fallen back to Foo Consciousness? But is it really fair to say that they've backtracked when they've made positive steps along the length of path they've chosen?

And...what if a person at point 1 has studied some arbitrary system and been told that his next state of growth is to acheive Strawberry Ice Cream consciousness? The most direct path from where he is to point 3 is backwards along his path. Will it help him more to focus on names and goals, or to merely walk the path before him?

Looking to external goalposts might not always be helpful.

I am also fascinated by how the ego slows or prevents enlightenment.

as the individual ego dissolves the Divine Will manifests
through the personality - "not my will, but thine".

The ego is part of that which is. I would caution anyone against rejecting anything that is part of that which is. I do not think a seed becomes a tree by focusing on the fruit until it forgets that it is a seed.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

Brilliant post, saved me about 30 mins writing my opinion...

Star for you

[edit on 9-1-2010 by IamNow]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket

I think the question might be missing the point. "Enlightenment," roughly speaking, is growing to become aware of the sum total of all that is.

I would agree but I do think from my experience this comes in stages of awarness, and does not just happen over night, which is why the "stages" listed in the OP I feel are relevent. Would you agree there is a vast difference in the two listed below, yet both are of enlightenment. I do not feel we go from point A to B without a gradual realization of our own awarness of self.

Awakening - this is a general term describing expansion in consciousness. Most teachers agree that it proceeds in stages or levels. A change can occur abruptly, so that one may feel that they have suddenly become "enlightened" - however, as Mariana Caplan points out in her book (cited above), there are many such experiences, each one bringer a greater level of awareness. The first level of awakening that a student experiences is not necessarily "self-realisation".

Samadhi - the final stage in Patanjali's 8-step yoga sutras. A state of deep meditation in which there is complete communion with God. Within Samadhi, 8 further states of consciousness are defined - refer Patanjali's Yoga sutras. Or just two fundamental types of Samadhi - Sabikalpa Samadhi (Self-Realisation), and Nirbikalpa Samadhi (God-Realisation).

A "teacher" may be any thing that is perceived by the "student" as an "external other." If a person walks through the woods, and has a spiritual experience with the trees, is it not fair to describe the woods as a "teacher?"

The whole point here is coming to be aware of the union of self with other. To realize and perceive that there is no other apart from self. But if you perceive portions of your self as other, how can you realize you are one without at least coming into contact with them?

In this sense, yes a "teacher" may be required. But to limit the concept to the idea of a mere human guru, is I think very misleading.

yes I agree again with you. a teacher can be anything that leads us to the realization of self, that there is no other than self. All is one. It is important to see you are all that is and all that is not. I have had many "teachers", all guide me in some way towards that that I AM, but your right this does not have to be a human guru, and most of mine have not been . They can be an experience, a piece of art or music. However I can not see how any one can go through this without speaking or finding guidance from another human in some way or form. It is this guidance that I asked if anybody felt they needed at points along their path. I see how labelling this guidance as a teacher may be mis leading.

That said in many paths to enlightenment people are often guided by another human. Maybe calling them a teacher is not exactly right but I think at certain stages towards enlightenment a human guide may be required. even if they just point out what you cant see for looking!

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   

The Goal
Some final words on what the "goal" is. The purpose of life is to bring "heaven" (the higher astral planes) into manifestation on the physical plane ("as above, so below"). Individually we don't really have a purpose - there is no "meaning" of life. We want to explore life on the physical dimension in a multitude of ways, and in doing so bring in to manifestation the deep inner memories of the glories and harmony from the higher astral planes.

www.inthelight.co.nz...

This is why for me enlightenment has become about connecting to my higher soul self, that which is above All manipulation, that which is above the veil and resides with the One. To bring down into the physical realm the memories of the divine higher Aeons, which for me can not be done without total connection to my higher soul self.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Question is does enlightenment even exist?

And if it does, how do you know you have it, or if anyone else has it?

My opinion.....

Smoke and Mirrors to keep you taped in the illusion, always making you feel like you need more, always making you feel like you have to achieve something to be something. Nothing more than worthless fancy labels, New Age, Religion, Spirituality.... All labels, Smoke and Mirrors, All telling you one thing.....

"YOU ARE NOT IN CONTROL"

Or at least you have to earn control.....

Take a look around, lost little sheep everywhere all following each other up the pathway of enlightenment. That pathway to me smells like some "Agenda" it really does, it screams out fake. You only have to look at the Avatars on ATS to want to throw up, come on wake up people

"You call this Awareness"

You don't need your head in a book to understand life.................

Falsified Philosophies

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by IamNow

Hi IamNow

Which of the following would you agree/disagree with

We are under a veil

Above this veil is the All Knowing Light of the One Source from which we came

While we exist in an un enlightened state below the veil we will continue to face spiritual death

My personal answers of agreement with the above three questions tell me YES enlightenment of the soul does exist . To avoid spiritual death we must become enlightened, we must connect to our higher cosmic soul self and transcend the veil. This of course is my opinion and I do not wish to cause offense, so please take it just as an opinion.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Green
reply to post by IamNow

Hi IamNow

Which of the following would you agree/disagree with

We are under a veil

Above this veil is the All Knowing Light of the One Source from which we came

While we exist in an un enlightened state below the veil we will continue to face spiritual death

I agree that we are indeed under a veil, I also believe Religion, New Age, Spirituality is all adding to this veil/illusion

So who or what put the veil/illusion there?

We did, each and every one of us, and we are still adding to it today. However this is not to be seen as "Wrong or a failure" this is to be seen as a "Lesson"

"You have to taste faliur to truly taste sucsess"

You can't have one without the other, Now is That, 2012 is the other.

Anyway back to the OP

Can I ask, what is the first image in your mind when you see the word...

"Enlightened"

Did it make you smile

That's all it will ever be........ You don't need a set of complex instructions, you will never understand through knowledge.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Green
reply to post by IamNow

My personal answers of agreement with the above three questions tell me YES enlightenment of the soul does exist . To avoid spiritual death we must become enlightened, we must connect to our higher cosmic soul self and transcend the veil. This of course is my opinion and I do not wish to cause offense, so please take it just as an opinion.

Do you not see a belief with foundations set it Fear, are you removing the veil or adding the veil. Fear of death, not just any death "Spiritual Death"

Interesting....

No offence taken, everyone has a right to their opinion
I don't disrespect anyone for their opinion, not when I have walked the pathways of Religion, New Age.

Can't really rule my self out the Spirituality category though, just my concept of spirituality is a little different.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by IamNow]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Originally posted by IamNow

I agree that we are indeed under a veil, I also believe Religion, New Age, Spirituality is all adding to this veil/illusion

I totally agree.

So who or what put the veil/illusion there?

This is for each to find themselves but my answer is in my signature. It may not be your answer but it is mine. You did ask so I give you my "veil casters."

We did, each and every one of us, and we are still adding to it today. However this is not to be seen as "Wrong or a failure" this is to be seen as a "Lesson"

To me spiritual death is not a lesson it is a manipulation.

Can I ask, what is the first image in your mind when you see the word...

"Enlightened"

The Inner Sun (cosmic light of self)

Did it make you smile

No it takes my breath away.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Mr. Green -- this is an excellent point you bring up about the ego as the left side of the brain and then pushing against the pineal gland causing calcification.

I trained with a Chinese yoga master who sat in full-lotus 49 days straight in a cave, taking no food, no water and no sleep. springforestqigong.com... is his website -- Chunyi Lin is his name -- he works with the Mayo Clinic, the top hospital in the world. There are many testimonies of video on his site from people he healed of late-term cancer, M.S., etc.

Now I can flex my pineal gland at will -- there is a blissful permanent magnetic force from my pineal gland and this electromagnetic energy is then transmitted to where it is needed -- through walls, ceilings, etc.

But this energy comes from electrochemical energy of the lower body -- through the vagus nerve going up the right side of the neck. The right side neck vagus nerve connects down to the stomach and lower body -- when it is ionized then the vagus nerve transduces the large amount of serotonin in the lower body. The ionization works through ultrasound which we can hear internally when we focus our minds internally.

So when we sit in full-lotus the energy -- the blood of the carotid artery and the vagus nerve transduction -- then increases the blood and electrochemical energy of the brain. Normally for modern people the left side of the brain is stagnant in terms of blood and electrochemical activity.

So left-brain dominance is actually cutting off the brain from the larger energy of the body -- the emotional or electrochemical energy. So the first blockage that is cleared out in the brain is the left side of the brain -- the blood and neurohormones flow to that side. You can actually hear and feel the skull cracking as the blockages are cleared out.

Then the left side vagus nerve goes down to the right side of the heart -- so the energy, once the left side of the brain is cleared out, goes down to the heart which is the largest electromagnetic field of the mind-body connection. After that the electromagnetic energy increases more up through the central channel to the pineal gland again for long distance healing, and spacetime travel, etc.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I read a lot of threads on ATS that mention 'seeing the light', 'awakening,' etc.

As a newbie, these terms have confused me greatly. Seeing what light? Awakening to what?

I am very interested in expanding my consciousness, but most of these threads seem to be way over my head. Kinda like I'm a first grader just learning to read the Dick and Jane books, and I sit down in a college class discussing Shakespeare.

Do you have any suggestions for those of us who'd like to start toward enlightment, but haven't the foggiest notion of where to begin?

Thanks so much for your thread!

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   

The veil was imposed on the souls to protect the ego from to much information for the invisible spheres. The veil is the great cosmic lie that was necessary for the evolution of the 5th race.

I like the way this thread is going. Exchange is very important, on a vibrational level for we are all from the light, and we are returning to the light.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Well since your symbol is the tai-chi -- then you would like Chunyi Lin's practice -- it's very simple yet can be very powerful if you practice it more. Even a little practice makes a great difference. You can start with these video testimonies of people healed by Chunyi Lin

www.springforestqigong.com...

The light in Taoism is called "shen" but I call it laser-love energy. In the West it's called "biophotons" -- but it's created from electromagnetic energy called "chi".

You can watch this amazing video of Taoist healer John Chang for more on chi abilities:

www.mind-energy.net...

Consciousness is the eternal process of the energy transformation through the yin-yang-emptiness dynamic. I discovered that yang is the Perfect 5th music ratio 2:3 and yin is the Perfect 4th music ratio 3:4. So no "one" is listening -- we exist within consciousness which is also called "empty awareness" but we use our consciousness to go into deeper levels of empty awareness. This is because the process is eternal but also asymmetric -- which is what keeps it being eternal.

reply to post by smyleegrl

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join