It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Local 2 Investigates Police Secrecy Behind Unmanned Aircraft Test

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Local 2 Investigates Police Secrecy Behind Unmanned Aircraft Test

www.click2houston.com

WALLER COUNTY, Texas -- Houston police started testing unmanned aircraft and the event was shrouded in secrecy, but it was captured on tape by Local 2 Investigates.

"I wasn't ready to publicize this," Executive Assistant Police Chief Martha Montalvo said. She and other department leaders hastily organized a news conference when they realized Local 2 Investigates had captured the entire event on camera.

"We still haven't even decided how we were going to go forward on this task, so it seemed premature to me to announce this to the media," Montalvo said. "But since, obviously, the media found out about it, then I don't see any reason why just not go forward with what we have so far."

Montalvo told reporters the unmanned aircraft would be used for "mobility" or traffic issues, evacuations during storms, homeland security, search and rescue, and also "tactical."
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9-1-2010 by Flakey]

Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
In seven months this operation goes online. No more protesting. Civil disobedience will not be tolerated. Did you say or do something questionable? Your home was geo taged in the 2010 census. The UAV knows exactly where to find you.

It can carry a payload of fifteen pounds. Thats more than enough to install tear gas or small bombs. This is a military tool. It does not belong in civilian hands. The police do not need their own air force to protect and serve.

Link to video
www.click2houston.com...

This is a picture of the UAV they were testing out.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Flakey

Just thought I would mention that in my home town in England, the police also have a planned UAV section, due to launch in 2012 I believe. Of course there is no question of this vehicle ever being used in a "tactical" setting , because here in England only certain sections of the police force are allowed to carry or indeed use firearms of any kind. But I really feel bad for all the innocent folks in the US who may now be subject to tails and even armed confrontation with this UAV technology. I saw an episode of CSI New York which was based around the idea of one of these being used as a murder weapon a little while back, and it was pretty freaky.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Find the right software, and just yank 'em outta the sky. If the Iraqis can do it, so can WE. 'Tactical', my ever lovin' eye.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
The worst thing I can envision is that these things will not be remote controlled.
Hence, the geo tagging. I can see police confirming and programing co-ordinates and setting this thing to auto. That way we can not jam any signal because their would be no signal to jam. The thing flies to target lets say a meth lab, blows it up. Mission accomplished. Any innocent by standers or mistakes will be justified as is the majority of police brutality. We the people may suffer for it.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
why is this news now?
this is from over 2 years ago

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Perfect stranger
why is this news now?
this is from over 2 years ago

What are you talking about? if you click on the link provided you will see that this news story happened with in the last few weeks.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Both the article and image are from 2007.

Just wait til one of these falls out of the sky and injures someone. The lawyers will have a field day.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Stuff is really going to get out of hand here in H-Town ... Whenever it does I will be the one on the ground for alot of you all. I am sure it will be very interesting. Now were do I get a Satellite Laptop /? LoL ... Nah, but for real ... things are getting out of handsSOUTH

[edit on 20-1-2010 by Deus_Brandon]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by amance

I stand corrected. I could of sworn it was more recent news. My mistake. Moderators please feel free to move to the appropriate forum.

[edit on 20-1-2010 by Flakey]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Flakey

Um just thought I would mention, the chances are that regardless of the pre programed possibilities presented by this device, it would still need to uplink to a satalite in order to attain accurate geographical and navigational data. In this lies its weakness.

new topics

top topics

join