It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gordon Brown UK PM sucks up to xtianity after backing gay rights and marriage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Gordon Brown insists that religion is at the centre of his Government

Prime Minister Gordon Brown repeated his claim this week that Britain is not a secular society and that religion must be at the centre of Government policy-making.
Gordon Brown

In a video released this week, Mr Brown said “I don’t subscribe to the view that religion should somehow be tolerated but not encouraged in public life, that you can somehow ask people to leave their faith at the door when they enter a town hall or a Commons chamber.”

He said: “If Christians engage with politics then all of us together can build a society where wealth helps more than the wealthy, good fortune serves more than the fortunate, riches enrich not just some of us but all.”

Mr Brown also gave an interview to Premier Christian Radio in which he made similar points. But his emollient words have not been received uncritically by all Christians. The fundamentalist group the Christian Institute suspects that Mr Brown’s appeals to the religious communities are a “cynical ploy”.

On its website, the Christian Institute says: “Under Mr Brown’s premiership the Government has also introduced the Children, Schools and Families Bill which seeks to make sex and relationship education compulsory from the age of five. Last year the Government tried to delete a free speech protection to a controversial ‘gay hate’ law using the Coroners and Justice Bill. However, the move was defeated in the House of Lords. In October the Prime Minister controversially called for gay couples to be allowed to have civil partnership ceremonies inside Parliament.”

The CI is furious with the Government for backing gay rights. It says: “Mr Brown has made a number of moves recently to encourage homosexual voters to back Labour. In July he told the organisers of a gay pride march taking place in London that they had ‘changed the world’. Earlier in the year he invited the organisers of a controversial month-long drive to teach schoolchildren about homosexuality to a reception at 10 Downing Street. At the reception he attacked as “unacceptable” a measure reserving marriage for one man and one woman passed by public vote in California.”

Terry Sanderson, president of the NSS, said: “This is the mark of a politician looking for votes. Mr Brown is desperate to head off criticism that he and his Government are disregarding the ‘rights’ and ‘needs’ of Christians. At the same time he is also looking to keep the gay vote on board. Look out in the near future for a high profile visit to a mosque where he will, no doubt, praise Islam to the skies.”

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
He basically needs votes from wherever he can get them

After all the policeis of the past 15 years, he now puts out this veiled attempt at trying to keep the country as was??

He has forced anti christian legislation onto the christian groups, by making catholic adoption agencies accept applications from Homosexual groups, which is against their teachings.

His, and Tony Blairs, governments have been complicit in undermining the very link betweeen church and state via their secret immigration and mutlicutural policies, therfore attempting to water down christianity in the UK

Gordon Brown is a devious JOKE

[edit on 9/1/10 by osc121]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Total rubbish, while uk is torturing innocent people with mind control and microwaving them authorised by the government, he comes out with this.

this is just election pandering.

Uk government are just murderers, and they see any religious person as mental, and have to torture them. My life was destroyed by these scum, and they get away with it as they are in power.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by osc121

His, and Tony Blairs, governments have been complicit in undermining the very link betweeen church and state via their secret immigration and mutlicutural policies, therfore attempting to water down christianity in the UK

Ah, so he has his good points then watering down xtianity seems to be a pretty good way of spending my taxes, I look forward to the time when the tax payer no longer gets robbed to support the church in the UK.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

if you remove the words christianity & church and insert "all religions" I might have a tendency to agree with you

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Religion is no big thing in everyday British society.

Some may say that as Christianity has declined in influence in the UK we have seen the breakdown in the family unit and the decline in moral and social values.

I am merely playing Devil's Advocat here and have no particular agenda to push; I am an avowed Agnostic.

Brown is chasing votes, same as every other politician does.
Why the suprise?

[edit on 9/1/10 by Freeborn]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I would agree, just trying to get some extra voters. Britain is very secular when push comes to shove. Religion really isn't that important over here...just an ever persistent noise in the background.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
"Gordon Brown insists that religion is at the centre of his Government "

Very true Gordon-but its not the sort of religion we may be thinking of,thats for sure.
Corporate Fascism seems to be what they worship IMO.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
Total rubbish, while uk is torturing innocent people with mind control and microwaving them authorised by the government, he comes out with this.

this is just election pandering.

Uk government are just murderers, and they see any religious person as mental, and have to torture them. My life was destroyed by these scum, and they get away with it as they are in power.

You seem to like microwaves dont you, since I live in the UK I take it you have some kind of proof for microwave and mind control apart from paranoia.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Its great how Mr Brown contradicts himself, he back gay rights yet supposrts a religious stand point on policy making
it is quite clear in the bible, that it is against religion to be gay, I wont put the quote in here i have done it so many times, but it is in Lavidicus not sue of the chapter, but like i said, to be gay is against religion. at the same time he is insisting that relationships family and marrage is to be supported, how can you have a legitimate family with two people who are gay
I think most people will agree that, that is impossible, two men cant have a baby no more than two women can FACT.

IMHO, i don't think religion plays a huge part in British society any more, we have had so many other religions come in to the country that its getting harder to please them all, one wants this ruls and one disagrees with it. religions fight all the time over policy in government etc.

I understand some are religious but i think its safe to keep religion and politics separate. As someone said in another psot, he is desperate now for votes, and he knows it, and is trying to appeal to other souses.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by osc121
reply to post by moocowman

if you remove the words christianity & church and insert "all religions" I might have a tendency to agree with you

I was making a side swipe at the Anglican church

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by osc121

Gordon Brown is a devious JOKE

The guy managed to manure himself into one of the most powerful potions in the world without getting elected far sharper than me and no joke in my book.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by neo5842

Some men and woman can't have babies due to infertility either. As for the bible and homosexuality, im guessing he just hates the sin and not the sinner
In any case the vast majority of Christians(especially in the uk) cherry pick what to believe in the bible and adapt or completely forget aspects of it to fit in with modern society.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c24647ce8c4b.jpg[/atsimg]

Please steal me. Right click on image, Save as...,

[edit on 10-1-2010 by mikeg2222]

new topics

top topics

join