It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spare a thought in this freezing weather

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by conar

thats why i put the thread out my heart goes out to all the people that are on the street it doesent matter how the got there they are men and woman just the same as us and anything we can do to help we should do it thanks every one for all the stars and flags it shows me that human kindness is not dead but far from it wich just gives me a wonderfull feeling inside me my self i am going to start making some big pots of home made soup and putting it in tubs for some people i know who can use it and any theng else i can

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Some advice learned over the last few days.

If waking in the morning with no heating or no hot water. First try shutting off your main stopcock (Usually in kitchen somewhere) then quickly turn it back on and run your water. (Plumbers tip from yesterday he said it pushes the ice through using water pressure)

If you are elderly and the cost of heating is a priority switch off your radiators for 2 hours at a time to all rooms except for the one you have chosen to make your cosy den for the day. Cover yourself with a blanket and drink plenty of hot liquids...not to much coffee though.

Make sure you have a mobile in case the phone lines go down.

Have a "Call Buddy" take turns to check in by phone or text with each other every 3 hours or so.

Respects

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Well I dont know about anyone else but Ive seen a ridiculous amount of old people out & about since we've had all this snow, they love it!
I would help my grandma with her shopping, but she's clever and has managed to get my cousin to fetch her shopping every week for the past 5 years.

But yea, good idea to go and check on any elderly neighbours.. most probably dont like to live on the edge like the one's in my town seem to do.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Great thread

I was actually immediately going to post a post here stating "how many weather threads relating to the cold weather" do we need?

Athough, this thread is different.

Its about helping people and bringing in some community spirit.

I gritted my entire estate, including the driveways of old people. It took me an hour, it was well worth it though! Even though I am dying with a chest/throat infection!

Doing something good works both ways

Dont forget about how cheap hot water bottles are!
Dont forget how cheap camping gas cans are!
Dont forget how cheap blankets are at a local charity shop!
Give them to people who need it!

UK is mostly heated by OIL and GAS! The prices are soaring here and transporting the gas cylinders and oil drums are a hassle! I wish we all still had open fires and burned wood.

A pensioner in my country had no heating for 3 days, he had to stay in bed
Poor guy.

[edit on 9/1/2010 by the_denv]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by asala

Completely understand your aggravation. I recently moved back to the city and I'm now in a building that uses radiator for heat... Seems like it's possessed. It goes on and off at the strangest (most inconvenient times) as does the hot water. Though strangely, only in the kitchen, never in the bathroom/shower... I am very confused about the whole system.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Looks like somebody is abusing the H.A.A.R.P.
Won't name any names...

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Here are my tips and tricks for surviving extreme cold... from a northerly guy:

- Venting is very important when heating a shelter or house with combustion-based heaters (that runs on either gas, oil or wood). The air has to come from outside through a pipe that's as nearest to the ground or underground if possible. If not, the cold air will go through the cracks, holes and other gaps of your shelter and contribute to freeze the place, and make it harder for the heater to warm up the place.

- The centre is obviously the best place where to put a heater or fireplace.

- Kill off any moisture in the air with candles.

- When having to go outside for a long time, either condition your body by doing some jogging or by doing a short exposure (of about 5-10 minutes) outside once or twice. The body can actually adapt itself to the most excruciating cold (although with some protection), as long as it is properly conditioned.

- Be careful to always change your clothing according to the condition. When in the warmth, NEVER keep your warm clothes on, as your metabolism will be weakened.

- Snow is a good insulator, if you have it in big quantities around your place. Make a thick layer of it around your shelter, especially at the bottom, and do it very tight, so the air won't pass. It's easy to work with, it's natural and it's free!

- Make your windows and corners as much airtight as possible.

- Grease (especially animal grease), vegetable oil or even vaseline are very good all-purpose skin warmers, and to give a little bit of extra warmth to your leather clothes and boots. If you get to be in a messy uncomfortable situation at extreme colds, don't hesitate to spread some over the sensitive areas of your body. The Inuks were using it aplenty in the cold season o their skins, clothes and boots, and where living quite comfortably at minus 50 celcius.

- In contrary to most conceptions, nature (especially a forest) is the best place where to get lost in the winter, since you can easily build a shelter, dig yourself a hole in the show by a three, get pure water and dead wood to burn.

Cone threes, especially spruce offer branches that, with a thick layer, give good insulation and comfort as mattresses, and fir resin and sap are very effective fuels, both for lighting torches or as firestarters. Threes are also good indicators for knowing where is the north, since the fungus grows always on the northern side. You can also make traps to get some rodents to eat, or hunt some other animals of unendangered species.

- To avoid having the flu, consume as much garlic as you can. It's proven to be very good to strenghten the immune system.

- Wine, grape juice, chocolate and coffee (of course real ones... no the processed food crap!) are also good for keeping your blood thin enough to have a good bloodflow and thus making your metabolism more adaptative.

Take Nature as your ally. You only have to study it instead of fearing it.

That's all I have to share for now. Take care!

[edit on 9/1/10 by Echtelion]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Mid Western PA (USA) Checking In Here. I wish the world Wellness and hope that nobody, homeless, poor, has to be cold and hungry. We all need to help in anyway we can. Where I am right now is about 12degrees and we have about 3.5 feet of snow and are out of places to put more. It's just nasty outside.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
The postman can't get down our lane so mail is being dropped off at a house in a nearby village and someone has to walk to get it.
I am running out of coal and am going to try to get some delivered to the top of the lane where the car is parked - then I will keep it in the car and drag it down the lane by hand bit by bit. Either that or beg a favour from someone with a 4 wheel drive.
Lots of people falling and breaking bones. Someone froze to death because they got locked out of their house. In fact there have been a couple of instances of people being found dead in the snow.
I don't think this is a 'one off'. Where I live, it has been getting colder for longer the last few years. Very worrying.
Meanwhile 2 police authorities in the South arranged for a private firm to tow away abandoned cars on the road and people had to pay to get them back with a charge of £20 a day on top. Unbelievable.
Stay safe everyone!

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Hope Global warming gets here soon was out 12 .5 hours at from 20 to 10 degrees and got a bad sun burn on my face from the reflection off the 18 inches of snow I had to shuffle around in. It was sparkling so beautiful but blinding so bad I had to squint my eyes but the warmth was like a sauna at mid day when the sun went below the horizon it droped quickly 10 degrees. Maybe someone should tell Al Gore about the sun . The sun sure affects temperature more than scam green house gases. Tip for cold weather , 1. stand on a piece of wood instead of the ground or ice wood is a good insulator. 2. four layers on head and five on body two on legs is good to 10 degrees in light winds to 12mph. If you get cold you`ll have to walk.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by digby888
reply to post by Asktheanimals

i am paying between £50 & £70 a week on electric which is a lot dont know how much that is in dollars though

Mate, if your paying £50-70 per week on electric, unless you live in a 6 bedroom house, then you need to be changing supplier!, that's a crazy amount!

I live in a 3 bedroom house, with 3 rooms downstairs and pay around £140 per month for gas and electric!

'tis colder than a witches tit at the moment though!

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Echtelion

WoW amazing advice thanks! Just like to add, this guy was giving damn good advice and warning about people around you who are maybe mortally feeling the cold,, then within a few posts he gets criticism on his spelling! Drop it! Just respect this guys good heart, dont challenge him, dont correct him, applaud him for noticing what others dont!

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

Whoa, 50-70 a week? I live in a 5 bedroom house and we pay-as-we-go with a meter. We pay in about £20-£30 a week.

I just heard on the BBC radio that this is expected to last all month and temperatures will drop to below -20 degrees here in Ireland/UK.

Heavy snow is also forecasted for tonight and for the next few days.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
hi Digby,

hi everybody else.

good thread digby, nice idea.

I hope everyone can stay warm enough.

here is a little , true story, rather fitting for ATS i think... lol

I remember years and years ago when I lived with my mom,
I was about 17 or so.. and my girlfriend also lived in our house (her mom was on another planet, mentally) lol...
and one night we were driving to a friends house, and were going through the "downtown" area, near an intersection of bridges...
it was the middle of winter , and very very cold out, and we saw a person walking down the street with no jacket on, short sleeves, and carrying a large , empty box from a nearby appliance store...

We had a couple of our friends in the backseat also, and I told them I was going to ask him if he needs anything, and if anyone had any objections they could get out until i was done talking to him. ... no one objected,
So i drove up to him and asked him if he was "ok",
He said that yes, he was ok, but there was just allot of wind and difficult to carry the large box..

I told him that he shouldnt be out in this weather in shoirt sleeves, and that he should take my jacket..
he said he had a long flannel shirt that he had on , but took off because he started to sweat carrying tthe box, .. SO I had a hooded sweatshirt in the backseat and told him to take that if he wouldnt take the jacket...
he did take the sweatshirt.

So i asked him why he was "out here" and if he is alright, and does he need anything...

and he began to tell us how he has lived under this particular bridge for awhile, and pointed out which bridge, and said thats where he was taking the box,,

He said that sometimes people come down to the river, near the bridge and "stone" him... and throw things at him.. and a couple times he said that people had lit his little shelter on fire with all his belongings inside.... and wished he had some way to protect himself.

anyway.... we told him we would bring him some things if he wanted us to, and he said that would be nice if it wasnt too much trouble... so we went back to my house, and got a nice pocket knife, a jacket, a few blankets, a sleeping bag , and as much food as we could get from my house that he could use. lol

we took this stuff to him, and saw where he was actually living... and it saddened us deeply... he seemed to be "ok" with it, and had accepted it,
and we would go visit him 2 to 3 times per week, and bring him things, and just sit and hang out and talk with him, sometimes for hours at a time, in the winter.

he turned out to be absolutely brilliant!! His name was Mike.

He taught us how to tell time with the stars, and carried on some of the deepest, most insightful conversations that i have ever been a part of, to this day...

and one time, my mom had a broken foot, but where it was broken wasnt yet known... and my girlfriend and I told him about it, and described how it looked and the pain she was in....
and this man drew a diagram of a human leg and foot, with every muscle, tendon, bone, everything.. and pinpointed the area that was the problem with a circle on the drawn diagram...

we gave it to my mom, and she couldnt believe "the homeless man" that we sometimes visited had drawn it.

She took the piece of paper to her doctor next time she went, and he wanted to know who the medical student was who drew it.

She told hiom it was a homeless man, a friend of her sons, and he almost pooed. lol

One night we were hanging out with him at his "home", and had a small fire going in a metal barrel he had down there, and a fire truck came down and told Mike that he had to leave, and could no longer "live" there, and he had 1 day to be "out"

well, he asked them where he should go, and they said " we dont care, go down 4 bridges and your out of our jurisdiction".. wtf?

he told them hed been down there and there was no kind of place for any shelter, but they said he had to be gone.

this is when we learned that he may be a little "out there" ... lol

I told him that i had a cool mom and a decent sized house, and that he could prolly stay with us if he needed to, until he could find somewhere...

he then started to tell us how he gets claustrophobic indoors, and that sometimes, within walls, and within the concrete pillars of the bridges that he slept under... he would hear "clicks" , and it was the government trying to listen in on his thoughts, because he had some 'formula' from when he was a 'professor' , that "they": want, and have been trying to get for years.

lol

in retrospect..... knowing what goes on in this world...
he may have been telling the truth!! lol

but back then, (like 13 years ago) , we thought. " whoah.. hes kinda nuts" lol

anyway, to make a long story a lil bit shorter...
he eventually came back to my house, and stayed in our basement (where he preferred) , it was a finished basement, but he didnt want to sleep anywhere but down there.

he wo0uld take baths for literally, hours at a time , and he would draw the most intricate diagrams oif the solar system, the human body, other animals bodies, and drawings of nature that ive ever seen in person.

he stayed with us for about 3 weeks, maybe a month,.....

and one day we woke up, Mike was gone...
and there was a letter from him on the stairway banister...

it was a very, very nice letter...
and the most surprising thing was.......

he had left 10 $100 bills in an envelope, ($1,000 dollars) addressed to me and my mother, thanking us for our kindness... and with it, a long explanation of his financial situation, letting us know that he was rather...
"comfortable" , and had plenty of money, but money wasnt the issue...
he also said he "wished he could ;leave more"?

he didnt explain much further on that in the letter,
But it was an interesting time..... and even more interesting now that i think back on it... lol

Have never seen the man since. and I looked.

Wherever you are, Mike, I hope you are well, and warm, my friend.
I still have a pic of you with my dog, Sam, and myself. lol

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
80 below in Alaska, a unconfirmed 100 below in alaska also , 33 below N Dakota, there ain`t no street people there . Not now anyway, not live one`s.
variences must always be taken into a count in every statement a house with a broken out window or lack of insulation takes alot more money to heat, all houses are not equal.
I bet all the shamrocks in Ireland will soon be frozsen! Bye Mates

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Not sure about -80 in Alaska, it has been a warm dry winter here. Highs have been in the 30's for the last week.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I hasn't a neighbor. Will someone be my neighbor?

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by bryan2006

alaska current temps -47 below north coastal area,south coastal area`s 30`s and 40`s don`t walk to far inland colder as you go north quickly. Water keeps you warm ,water me also great lakes area.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose

Very cool story.
Loved reading it.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

hi Lady.

Thank you.

i love that you loved it. lol

top topics