It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spare a thought in this freezing weather

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   
i was just thinking in this freezing weather that we should all spare a thought for our neighbours at this time of year especially with the price of heating (here in the uk)
going threw the roof especially people that are on their own the infirm and the aged
there used to be adverts on the tv to remind us to doe this but not any more so if we could just take ten minutes out of our day to knock on a door to make sure every thing is ok and they are warm enough would be great and also the homeless if you don't like giving money bye them some thing they can eat or warm clothes that we don't wear any more if not i can see this weather taken its toll on peoples lives as well
bye
digby

(Mod edit to fix title)

[edit on 9-1-2010 by asala]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Very good idea. It is a good time to get to know your neighbor better as usually we are too busy to do it. Tough times force us to slow down and THINK what is going on around us !!

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by digby888

/Excellent thread.

A star for your humanitarian post.

Where I'm sitting, it's pretty damn cold and I'm in a nice house with central heat.

How the hell did the pioneers and indians survive this?

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Definately consider all the homeless people in europe right now, im sure they would all be freezing their tits off

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
people had to ski to get to work and to grocery shop here in the u.k. which is a rare sight indeed

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Good thread,
And something we all do need to remember, The UK right now is like the north pole and we have more to come,

I am checking on a few old neighbours and getting them the things like bread and milk, I stocked up so i would have stuff to share if needed, I'm also making soups that can be frozen,

If you live near a homeless shelter maybe pop down and give spare covers or clothes you may have that's not needed any more,

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
From your typing, it appears that your fingers are frozen, still.

Anyway, lovely thought. I hope everyone reading it will make the effort to go check on a neighbor, or make a few phone calls.

Perhaps go check on some people you don't even know....maybe the old people down the street or a shut-in that you've heard of.

haha. Looks like you have thawed out. I see you corrected many of your spelling errors as I was posting! Hot chocolate to you!

[edit on 9-1-2010 by Alethea]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by digby888

I'm in the American southwest and just went out to start my truck. It's 10 degrees F. All I can really say about it is M/F. Well take care.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
my spelling has never been great but just thought the message was inportant its just so easy to forget these days the people that are not so well of when there is so much to do in our own lifes
ps thankyou to the person that sorted my spelling out

[edit on 9-1-2010 by digby888]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I'm an American and I was curious as to how much you actually DO pay for heat there in the UK. What percentage of your income do you spend and what does that translate to in USD?
Sorry to hear things are so tough over there, were kinda used to the cold temps over here and so far I don't see any big spikes in energy prices. Warm thoughts to you

edit for spelling

[edit on 9-1-2010 by Asktheanimals]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

i am paying between £50 & £70 a week on electric which is a lot dont know how much that is in dollars though

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I’ve just got in and man my hands are soo cold right now I really don’t know how people can survive being outside especially at night when the temperature plummets.

Great thread and you made me think about going to check in on a few people just in case now aswell.

Flagged and starred

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Excellent thread and yes we should be sparing a thought for others.

I have been calling my nan every day (amongst others) to chat as she is stuck indoors. She has been inside for 5 days and is getting stir crazy - she has been spending her time clearing out cupboards and bags and such like (like an early spring clean).

As to how people survive, they find a way although it is not easy. I think it is alot to do with supporting each other and working hard to get through the tough times. Fortunately I've never had to experience anything like that and though we do complain we should remember that things could be (and have been) alot worse.

We have had a few things go wrong in the last few weeks, like getting stuck out in the snow, and having no running water for a short time. It hits home just how fortunate we are, but also how dependent we are and the life skills we have lost (and are losing).

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Hi digby888 and all of you stuck in this unusual winter condition.

Do take care and hope that things will change soon.

For me here in the tropical southeast asia, we are having more rainy days compare to the previous years.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
My fathers family came from the UK in the 1920's. I know my family history well. They came to Chicago, and were shocked by the wide swings of tempeture between winter and summer. When one of my cousins came from the UK in 1973 he stayed in the house because it was so hot. (We had a/c.) Europe is now having to deal with more severe swings of tempetures in winter and summer. The so called "new world" has all ways had to deal with this. I wont offer advice, but I will give you some history. The weather in Europe is changing. It may change to the point where you have to deal with severe swings of tempeture between seasons. You might look at how Americans deal with this, it might help you.

By the way, I have lived in Minnesota since 1974, thats where I am now. In northern Minnesota its -40 degrees below zero. We have warm to hot summers and very cold winters. All I can say to the people of the UK and Europe, brace your self, things might get much worse before they get better.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Great and cheery thread for being stuck indoors with - a little ray of sunshine

Have done my bit, cleared steps for next door neighbours, both 70 years old. Even cleared their car as it had to go for an MOT test on Thursday and made sure the garage delivered it back

Far cry fromneighbours on other side who moved in 2 years ago and have never spoken to anyone in the street
even when people have tried to engage!

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Grrr Well now im the one in need! lol My boiler has just failed! So no hot water or heating!

Been trying to get hold of the people who fix it for nearly 5 hours now, Lucky i do have heaters laying around,

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Bit off topic I know, but I've been feeding the wild birds, seeds and water don't cost much but it could save a few little birds lifes, i'm not even a twitcher, just felt sorry for the poor little robins and sparrows in my back garden, I've also cleared paths for next door and gone to get food and wine in for them

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
OK, this cold snap is something, isn't it? I remember growing up in Northern Indiana, and it would get really cold like this then too. This was in the late 50s to mid 60s. The snow would come right after Thanksgiving, and stay on the ground until April, when it finally melted away. I remember my Dad digging a tunnel out to the barn, so the animals could be fed, and the cow milked. The snow would be over the tops of the fence posts, and up to the top of a car. Roads would drift up to 15 feet high, and passage was impossible, unless one owned a 4 wheel drive, rare in those days. We would take our John Deere tractor and drag a makeshift blade behind it, and go clear out the neighbor's driveways. The wind would blow at night and make a song, and I would wake up to find a little snowdrift on my bed covers when I woke up, coming from a crack in the wall. We heated with kerosene in those days, it was nasty smelling, and made a big mess when the carburator flooded. My Mom would take fresh snow and mix it with milk and sugar to make snow cream. Those were the days!

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Here in Denmark volunteers have opened extra shelters for the homeless to sleep in, so touching.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join