It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian man attacked and set alight in Melbourne

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
Coming from someone who use to be regrettably be "friends" with people in Melbourne who would do this sort of thing (attacking Indians, mugging and whatnot) it was because they were seen as 'easy targets'. I don't understand why this man was set alight though.

I hate Melbourne enough as it is, now I hate it even more.

Why don't you dob them in? As far as Melbourne goes... depends what part ya know? Frankston, Seaford... etc... gawd what a trash heap. Mornington area is nice...

[edit on 9/1/2010 by C0bzz]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Cus I've moved on and to tell you the truth what's done is done it's not my business anymore. Even if I wanted to 'dob' anyone in I don't have proof of any incidents. Besides.. half of them are already in lock-up. The problem is they are only in there for a few months at most, and then let out again to do the same things - including stabbing. Because they're underage they can't be kept locked up forever..

edit: and i'm talking about the city and inner city.
[edit on 9/1/10 by Nventual]

[edit on 9/1/10 by Nventual]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

hahaha nah brudda, in Sydney but yeah used to be around this kinda thing heaps back in High School, not as extreme as this but did all the basics. Not stuff to be proud of.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I wonder how the lad culture in UK managed to make its way to sydney and then down to melbourne? It's a shame really.. I know violence with youths was happening decades ago but not to this degree - not this fierce gang mentality violence.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by riley

There is really no use trying to plead the case, people have already made up their mind that these are racial and nothing more,
These same people probably believe the footage of Arabs dancing in the street when the twin towers fell, you know the footage of the wedding celebrations that where passed off as evil Arabs celebrating the towers collapsing.

The people you are trying to convince are easily swayed by the propoganda, the vast knowledge of them living in a distant country being an expert because they watched Crocodile dundee a few times and the odd Steve Erwin documetary.

we are labled racist so live with it, this distraction only keeps peoples minds off real issues occuring just now.

people need to wake up to the magic show being played at the moment, stop watching the pretty assistant and try to focus on the magician.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I remember a few years ago in Werribe a bunch of youths set alight some homeless people and recorded it. It was being passed around the schools. I wonder if that got world-wide press? I know it got Australia wide press. I wonder if this man was Australian would it be reported on ATS? Probably not. I'm not trying to demean the Indian victim I'm just wondering.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I wonder why don't the australian racist gangs pick on middle eastern,black muslims or pakistani men?

I think its because these people don't go crying to authorities and retaliate gang violence with gang violence.

Maybe the indians should get some lessons from their neighbours.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Well from my experience they are usually friends with the "black muslims" and might even live amongst them. There seems to be a lot of reports insinuating Australians as racist, or saying that we have racist gangs. We're not racist and we don't have racist gangs. There is a small majority of people that prey on weaker people, and more often than not these people are of a different race. Australia as a people are not racist.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
There seems to be a lot of reports insinuating Australians as racist, or saying that we have racist gangs. We're not racist and we don't have racist gangs.

Actually we did used to have a racist gang... though I'm not sure they are still around. Do you remember the Lebonese Tigers?

IRM

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I might be too young to know of them but I think I have heard them mentioned, probably by my old man. Certainly sounds familier.

Care to enlighten me? As a matter of fact I've personally been subject to discrimination by lebanese gangs to the extent that I had to lie about my ethnicity and say I was german (which I'm not).

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
I've linked to another thread regarding recent violence between Aussies and Indians.

I'm not Australian, but have Australian family down in Sidney and Melbourne.

From what they tell me, the situation there is no different from any European countries. The government lets in more and more immigrants despite the rising voices saying, "No more". People are getting tired of seeing how their own culture is being put on the back burner while the immigrants culture takes center stage.

It builds up anger and resentment when the government won't listen to her own people. When the people say "stop", you should probably stop. Or at least try to open a dialog with the people so frustration doesn't build up and lead to these sorts of horrific crimes. (I am not condoning what happened here or any other attck mind you.)

When you open up a country for immigration, there will always be the few who say, "no". That's normal. But as immigration continues, and the government fails to protect your heritage and culture over that of an alien culture, that's when you start to see a growing resentment in the people. It's happening and to try to label them all as "racists" or pretending there is no problem isn't going to help. In fact, it'll do the exact opposite.

I'm for immigration, I'm not for mass immigration. I understand it's a bit different in Australia seeing how they (England) came and put the aborigines out of their homes, but that's not the case with Europe. We've lived here for thousands of years with our own kind, our own beliefs and our own culture and heritage. When you open immigration doors wide open, you allow a slew of alien cultures to come in. Not that it's a bad thing, but sometimes you don't need a melting pot. America is a melting pot, it's built on immigration, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany etc. are NOT. And I honestly think it's a bit unfair that we're asked to follow America's foot steps when America has only been around for a couple of hundred years. We weren't founded the same, so why must we follow suit?

Besides, as seen over a few threads here on ATS, immigrants come into a host country with no intention og "melting" with the host country.

Sorry for going off topic, but the point is: Start listening to your people. Immigration is fine, but not when it puts the host populace on the backburner. Episodes like the one above will only continue to grow.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frontkjemper
But as immigration continues, and the government fails to protect your heritage and culture over that of an alien culture, that's when you start to see a growing resentment in the people.

I'm sure the lost generations felt the same way

Originally posted by Frontkjemper
I'm for immigration, I'm not for mass immigration.

This isnt' about immigration... i think
they aren't moving there to live only to study

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by bkaust
Ugh this is disgusting! For what it's worth not all of us hate the Indian people that live here, but unfortunatley there is always some group ready to ruin our reputation because of their small minded views.

I never assumed it was a wide spread feeling down under. This just does not seem like the Australia I know. I've been there three times in the past 15 years. I hope this does not continue to increase in frequency and level of violence.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by SLAYER69]

That's really nice to hear you say to be honest, because all i've heard lately (when i switch on and watch the MSM news anyways) is that Tensions overseas are rising and we are being named as a completley racist nation particularly in India & around Asia.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   

and we are being named as a completley racist nation particularly in India & around Asia.

You are not being labelled a racist nation
this is incorrect
nobody is saying that in this thread or even in India
and if people do say that in India they represent an incredibly small minority

this is about the police force more than it is aussie citizens

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed

Cut off from civilisation...what is that supposed to mean exactly?

It means australia and new zealand are geographically distant from europe and the USA. Many people have never been outside their homeland and can not afford to travel.

this leads to many people here having quite a narrow minded opinion on lots of things, and immigration and race are part and parcel of this.

I've seen it first hand many many times. We have got lots of Filipino workers at our factory, they arrived about 2 yrs ago, and many New Zealand guys have still not accepted their presence even today.

they will not speak to them, will not train them and are 100% racist towards them.

Yet , funnily enough, all the New Zealand people who have actually got their Asses out of New Zealand and travelled (further than across the ditch to ozzy) are superb with these Filipinos..........

Now is'nt that a coincidence?

Why does the fact that victim was Indian have to be such a key part of the story? Why is it highlighted and emphasised that a group of Australians ganged up on and beat an Indian man for no apparent reason other than his skin colour or nationality?

Why is it key? It is key because Australia promotes their country as being a peaceful, friendly place that outsiders are welcome to come and live in if they have the jobskills. So it is appauling that any visitor, from any country should have to be subjected to this.

I'll tell you what i've noticed. I grew up around many native aussies, and i hear in the 70's is when a large amount of vietnamese people came over to settle, i think we tend to be more tolerant in general to what we are used to as compared to the new ethnicities that we are seeing today.

I've noticed alot of anger towards Indians & Africans (in our suburbs we have alot of new somali refugees) and people tend to be more racist to them nowdays - as compared to when i was younger when i remember hearing racist jokes about mainly asian nations. Even now, some of the things that come out of my grandparents mouths astound me. I won't say any of their 'sayings' as i think it would just anger people, but as a kid i never thought i'd grow up to lecture my parents & grandparents on tolerance!

I think it's all about what we are already conditioned to. We tend to fear and blame things that are new, or to the other extreme, judge and hold grudges passed down from our parents etc.

sometimes it seems like the media are just stirring the pot, so to speak, more then anything, especially on the 'boat people' issues. Inciting fear and anger between aussies born here, and those who have moved over for asylum. It's all sorts of crazy.

People overseas just have to realise that we arent all that way, some of us welcome change and diversity! But it's a mixed bag really.

I tell you what if i see one more sticker on the back of a car saying 'don't like it - leave' or along those lines i'm going to rear-end someone!

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I'm sorry but I'm starting to feel as if the media is calling Aussies the racists. From first hand experience I know that there are many many cases when an Aussie is assulted by a WOG(Aussie term for those from the middle east and surrounding areas, Not racist, Just Aussies are too lazy to say long names
). Secondly, It could have been a case of gang violence between two clicks. I have had friends my age that still gangbanged after work. And thirdly, Melbourne is a very rough city with quite afew hooligans. I was once in an elevator with a drunk who tried to set my shirt on fire with an empty lighter.

All Im saying is that there is alot of violence that goes on which the media doesnt show the rest of the world. An example would be the time three men raped a mother then cut her throat from ear to ear. That was kept on the D.L in Aus as well as everywhere else.

*edit for the squirrels*

[edit on 9-1-2010 by Ghost in the Machine]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
I'm sure the lost generations felt the same way

They didn't have any government like the Australians have today. They had tribes. And I believe I touched on the Aborigines in my previous post.

This isnt' about immigration... i think
they aren't moving there to live only to study

It doesn't matter. They are foreigners and people will resent them until the government starts listening to Australians, even if they are there just to study.

**Edited for BBC code**

[edit on 9-1-2010 by Frontkjemper]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I knew GB had a problem with knife and gangs but did not know Australia did too... we Yanks just dont get a lot of down under news...

I guess this too is a sad part of human nature

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   

I've noticed a lot of anger towards Indians & Africans (in our suburbs we have alot of new somali refugees) and people tend to be more racist to them nowadays - as compared to when i was younger when i remember hearing racist jokes about mainly asian nations. Even now, some of the things that come out of my grandparents mouths astound me. I won't say any of their 'sayings' as i think it would just anger people, but as a kid i never thought i'd grow up to lecture my parents & grandparents on tolerance!

Well, the older Australians, on the whole, could be divided into two groups: those who mouthed off continually with loud racist sentiments and the "nice" ones, who patronised everyone in the conceited belief that they were greatly superior and knew what was best for everyone else.

The latter group could pass as non-racists, but they were far more dangerous than the mouth-offers.

The funny thing was almost all Australian communities consisted of several nationalities living together, and mateship, in those days, over-rode racism. It was like, "sure you guys are Wogs, but you're Our Wogs, so that's different." But then my growing up was in a succession of small country towns, "the bush," as we call it. People fought fires, floods and famines together, and everyone went to the church picnics and local dances, whatever their beliefs.

Although there is more violence now than before, I believe there is actually less racism. Children are growing up with a broader perception, and I believe the internet has a lot to do with this. Parents, such as my ex, are being forced by their own children to take another look at the situation and see where maltreatment of Aboriginals in particular has led to the situations Aussies like him complain about.

Gangs are happening all over the world, and of course we have a gang problem here too. However many of our gangs are composed of recent immigrants who are fighting each other. A big problem with having so many refugees here is that they are bringing their old enmities with them. Many street battles have been waged here between groups with hereditary disputes which have nothing to do with Australia.

Two of these groups with deep tensions dividing them are Hindus and Muslims from India. The Muslims feel they have been treated badly in India and forced to leave because of discrimination against them in their homeland. (I'm not suggesting this is all of them.) Some of these are eager for revenge against Indians here, particularly students, who tend to be from wealthier families and can't fight back. Terrible damage has been done in India by each group to the other, so it's not surprising some immigrants can't just put it all behind them.

Australia, while wanting to keep accepting immigrants and students, (for selfish, economic reasons,) is left in a quandary. Clamping down on ethnic groups could spark international charges of racism and even spark off more violence.

Currently our answer has been to try to avoid publicising any information on the racial identities of attackers, in order to cut down on revenge or copycat incidents. It is better to have people mistakenly labelling Aussies en masse as racists, guilty of this violence, than to escalate the violence by publicly pointing out the nationality of the culprits.

Just one example of inter-racial trouble which, surprisingly, was reported as such:

About 70 young men blocked off an intersection at Harris Park just after 8:00pm, demonstrating against what some claim is racially-motivated attacks against Indian students perpetrated by members of the Lebanese community.
www.abc.net.au...

Some ethnic gangs in Australia:

THEY call themselves MBM - the Muslim Brotherhood Movement - a gang of 600 men who boast they are the toughest and best young street fighters of Middle Eastern descent in Sydney. MBM claims to be the biggest of four new gangs to emerge on Sydney streets in the past year…
. . .
The emergence of MBM also coincides with the rise of two other urban Sydney gangs - the Parra Boyz or Asesinoz MC and Brothers For Life or BFL.

Police say BFL - with a logo featuring crossed machine-guns - is not dissimilar to MBM in its extremist views, but membership numbers are unknown. Police describe Asesinoz, comprising teenagers of Middle Eastern decent, as “tough kids” who use the video-sharing website YouTube to promote Islamic extremism and anti-Australian actions…

Its creation follows that of the Notorious bikie gang, comprising members of Middle Eastern and Pacific Islander extraction, more than a year ago after a split in the membership of the Nomads motorcycle club.

blogs.news.com.au...

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Cruel.

How could someone do this to another being?

Sad, vile, no words deep and cutting enough to describe this horrible act.

Savage ape with no soul.

I was in nursing and being burned is one of the most painful injuries a person can go through.

Horrible, despicable, terrible...............I'm going to skip to another thread this upsets me so. How could someone do this to another?

When will humanity grow up and realize we are all interconnected, parts of a whole.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by ofhumandescent]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join