It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian man attacked and set alight in Melbourne

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Things happen every day everywhere. I dont know if it was racial. But when something happens to an Indian then it is plastered all over the news like it is a racial attack.

Australia does still have a lot of racists, but it is a small minority of people and they are not just the anglo saxans there are racists in some of the immigrants who come to live here too. They for some reason some, dont like Australian people but they come to live in this country. That i do not understand.

I feel that this situation and issues with race is not going to change there is always going to be that small group of people from all walks of life that feel that they are superior to everyone else.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
What is funny though, is that everyone, especially in the other thread, attacked me like crazy saying I had no proof and was trying to incite hate even.

Now one guy on an internet forum says "hey spoke to an inside guy and he told me it might be an insurance job" and many believe it.

If you guys think i'm gullible for believing what various news articles are saying then what you are you?

Perhaps if you had been less busy inciting hate and more busy learning what had actually happened in this case, you might have come to the same conclusion. Or do you automatically believe every claim, even when the claimant discards all evidence, cannot describe any attacker and stands to gain financially by the incident?

If so, I presume you will unquestioningly believe any women who accuse you of rape, even if you weren't there, and support the local police being characterised as KKK for not locking you up despite the lack of evidence.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
The article doesnt provide much information about what happened, i think it sounds a little suspicious.
In the article it says he was travelling home with his wife but it does not mention where she was during the attack, if she was with him surely she could help identify the attackers.

The 29-year-old man attacked on Saturday was returning home from a dinner party with his wife when he was set upon.

Something just doesnt add up.
Especially regarding the clothes.

As for it being a racially motivated attack, it is very possible, but people of every colour get assaulted every day, its not that unlikely that a few of those are going to be indian.
Its almost like the article is insinuating that it is to do with race simply with the headline "Indian man set alight in melbourne", when it could simply be "man set alight in melbourne", what does his race matter?

And lastly just because someone is injured or considered a 'victim' does not mean they are innocent of any wrong doing.

Just my two cents..

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Now one guy on an internet forum says "hey spoke to an inside guy and he told me it might be an insurance job" and many believe it.

Well MA... not to blow my own trumpet but I'm not prone to BS and sensationalism. Many here at ATS know that!

So... if you are going to make references to what I said, get it correct instead of trying to slant it.

Firstly:
I never said I have an 'inside guy'. I know a city cop. That's all I will say on that matter because I probably shouldn't say anything at all.

And Secondly... Yes they are looking at the possibility that it is an insurance job... but that's only one of the few areas that they are looking at. I believe that where there is a reported crime and where property is also damaged, the insurance companies require the police to investigate as a matter of policy. I'm sure that's the same procedure in most countries!

You yourself have admitted that there are some strange elements to the story. Well... the police feel the same way as you.

IRM

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by sicklecell
The article doesnt provide much information about what happened, i think it sounds a little suspicious.
In the article it says he was travelling home with his wife but it does not mention where she was during the attack, if she was with him surely she could help identify the attackers.

The 29-year-old man attacked on Saturday was returning home from a dinner party with his wife when he was set upon.

Something just doesnt add up.
Especially regarding the clothes. . . .

He had just come home from a dinner party with his wife and went to park his car when four men poured fluid over him and set him alight.
. . .

Police say the strange circumstances surrounding the attack have led them to believe it was not racially motivated.

Detective acting senior sergeant Neil Smyth says police are yet to locate burnt clothing the victim discarded shortly after the incident.
. . .
"I believe there is no reason at this stage to consider this in any way as racially motivated... the circumstances of him parking the car randomly in a side street and just some people approaching him are a bit strange," he said.

www.abc.net.au...

So no, his wife can't give a description of any attackers.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

I think the media suspect the same thing but maybe hesitant to print it till it's verified beyond a doubt.. otherwise Indian media will just accuse aussies of picking on the "victim". If he is guilty of insurence fraud he may get charged and/or deported.. (he's on a spousal visa) and he's also perhaps filed a false complaint with police as well.. not to mention all the damage he's done to international relations.

I really hope the truth comes out before this becomes yesterday's news. I'd be annoyed if he gets found out to be a liar and everyone's moved on with this still tainting our rep.

[edit on 10-1-2010 by riley]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

What else doesn't add up is that apparently he got burnt in his car.. yet if you click on the pic here:

www.abc.net.au...

there is damage to the front headlight and bumper bar.. yet there is NO mention of them hitting/kicking his car or of him being in a prang.

So he discarded the burnt clothes.. can't describe his attackers and the articles are not even mentioning the considerable damage to the front of his car. You would think would be very relevent given the burns on his car are meant to be from where they set him alight. Did his attackers put all those dints in his car and smash his headlight? Yes heat can make glass explode but if he was radiating that much heat (he was meant to be set on fire not the car) he'd be dead.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   

He had just come home from a dinner party with his wife and went to park his car when four men poured fluid over him and set him alight.

This still seems vague to me, are we to assume he arrived home with his wife, let her out, then went to park the car in a side street?
Because it doesnt really say that.

Is it particuarly hard to get a parking spot outside your house in melbourne?
Just curious as im not from melbourne nor have i been so i wouldnt know.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Is it particuarly hard to get a parking spot outside your house in melbourne?
Just curious as im not from melbourne nor have i been so i wouldnt know.

He was in the burbs mate (Essendon)! They generally have drive ways and ample space at the front of the house to park cars.

IRM

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Hmmm thats what i thought.
It makes no sense to go and park in a side street when you have a driveway, which makes his story all the more suspicious.

Probably up to no good IMO

*edit for spelling error*

[edit on 11-1-2010 by sicklecell]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   

I will add, not just ample room for 1 car, but probably up to 3 or 4 cars in your average home in the burbs.

Looking through news services, there seems to be no updates.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66

I will add, not just ample room for 1 car, but probably up to 3 or 4 cars in your average home in the burbs.

Looking through news services, there seems to be no updates.

- And all flats and units here have to provide adequate parking for their occupants.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   

This still seems vague to me, are we to assume he arrived home with his wife, let her out, then went to park the car in a side street?
Because it doesnt really say that.

There are several articles about this.
It's been made quite clear in the media he dropped his wife off at their home and then parked his car down a side street. That's unusual enough here to have already started people wondering.

Is it particularly hard to get a parking spot outside your house in melbourne?

No, we have wide streets and adequate parking for residences is a must.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by riley

What else doesn't add up is that apparently he got burnt in his car.. yet if you click on the pic here:

www.abc.net.au...

there is damage to the front headlight and bumper bar.. yet there is NO mention of them hitting/kicking his car or of him being in a prang.

So he discarded the burnt clothes.. can't describe his attackers and the articles are not even mentioning the considerable damage to the front of his car. You would think would be very relevent given the burns on his car are meant to be from where they set him alight. Did his attackers put all those dints in his car and smash his headlight? Yes heat can make glass explode but if he was radiating that much heat (he was meant to be set on fire not the car) he'd be dead.

Yes, that car is quite didn't in at the front. Looks like he smashed into a lamp post.

I wonder if it was his wife's car and he crashed it, and then set it on fire to try and cover up the damage?

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Australians are somehow feeling the pinch of Chinese and Indian communities occupying their social space and also their increasing footprint in public life. This is a phase of social transformation, adjustment and the question of identity. Indians are the most vulnerable lot.

For the Australians, there is a sense of vulnerability and insecurity on the jobs front. Indians are more hardworking and prepared to work for half of what their Australian counterparts would get for the same job without sacrificing quality.

Australia seems to be shooting itself in the foot as little or no action is being taken to apprehend/convict the culprits. With 40% of potential students cancelling their applications/visas to Australia, the latter would stand to loose a cool $2 billion!

But why the heck would Indians want to go to Australia for a 'Facial Massage' course when there are enough facilities available in India?

Well, nothing like a 'degree' from a foreign country I suppose! One gets paid double or even three times with a foreign degree in hand!

And since the Indians thrashed the Australians of late in all forms of cricket, they're finding it difficult to stomach the ignominy of getting repeatedly drubbed and dethroned by the Indians from the number one position they held since the past decade or so! There's no doubt that they're really pissed off! Is it Jealousy resulting in retribution?

Can these hate crimes be attributed to all the above?

[edit on 11-1-2010 by OrionHunterX]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by OrionHunterX
Australians are somehow feeling the pinch of Chinese and Indian communities occupying their social space and also their increasing footprint in public life. This is a phase of social transformation, adjustment and the question of identity. Indians are the most vulnerable lot.

Have you not been reading? It was an insurence scam so continueing to make out like it's a racial problem from aussies is just supporting the fraud commited.

For the Australians, there is a sense of vulnerability and insecurity on the jobs front. Indians are more hardworking and prepared to work for half of what their Australian counterparts would get for the same job without sacrificing quality.

Wow THAT is a racist comment.

I'm wondering.. is it a cultural thing that indians are more hardworking than aussies or is aussie laziness a genetic abnormality that we have to contend with? I'd like to know if indian superiority is innate or not.

Australia seems to be shooting itself in the foot as little or no action is being taken to apprehend/convict the culprits. With 40% of potential students cancelling their applications/visas to Australia, the latter would stand to loose a cool $2 billion!

Again.. the CONVICT in THIS story was the alledged victim.

But why the heck would Indians want to go to Australia for a 'Facial Massage' course when there are enough facilities available in India?

Perhaps the australian education is superior to what india has.. or perhaps it's more accessable given india has a very classist system that tends to penalise poor people.

Well, nothing like a 'degree' from a foreign country I suppose! One gets paid double or even three times with a foreign degree in hand!

And since the Indians thrashed the Australians of late in all forms of cricket, they're finding it difficult to stomach the ignominy of getting repeatedly drubbed and dethroned by the Indians from the number one position they held since the past decade or so! There's no doubt that they're really pissed off! Is it Jealousy resulting in retribution?

Can you at least TRY to stick to REAL hate crimes to slander us rather than pretend ones?

[edit on 11-1-2010 by riley]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   

If this Indian burnt his own car and filed a false report, as seems likely, I doubt it had anything to do with education or cricket.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Hi Slayer,
not sure how to really approach this myself, yet, I do think it is somewhat blown out of proportion.
Not the fact that it is a terrible crime (no-one ever deserves to die in this manner).
Just sayin, that there is probably more to it than meets face value.
For a start we don't even know who perpetrated the crime to know whether it was racially motivated or not.

There have been a few crimes against Indian nationals that have been branded as 'Hate Crimes' in recent times. I recall an Acid throwing incident (in Melbourne Area also) that was given the same label; but do not remember whether thay even cauhgt the perpetrator.

The 'thin edge of the wedge' is the fact that Australia is now so multi-cultural that we have many foreign nationals whom have recently naturalized, yet still carry the ideals of the old-land close to heart.
How are we not to be sure these crimes were not indeed committed by ex-indian nationals, pakistani nationals, Nepalese Nationals or indeed Sri-Lankans (all -apart from maybe ex-indian nationals, that don't have a particularly favorable view of indians).
Just a though.
Australia has been labelled recently as overly racist; this comment sickens me.
Foreigners get away with much more here than many of the Asian countries i've visited (including India).

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by KRISKALI777

No one died,

He claimed he was attacked by 4 men and set on fire, he is still in hospital, probably trying his best to forget he speaks english when being questioned by the police now.

And to say that Australia is a dangerouus place to live
India is ranked No.1 in the world for murders with 37,170 , ranking higher than the US #5 with 16,204 and the UK #14 with 1,201 . Australia is way down at #36 with 302
www.nationmaster.com...

If you want an education on racism, look at honor killings which take place,

Honor killings take place when the family isn't happy that the daughter wants to marry a non Indian and the daughter goes missing if you know what I mean

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Are you for real man? Jeez.. talk about not checking your facts and grasping at straws!

FYI.. The Aussies beat the Indians in the recent 7 One Day International Cricket matches... which incidentally were played in India. So even with India having the home ground advantage, the Aussies were still victorious!

Winning in India against the largely hostile crowds is no mean feat!

And this sir is how you back up your facts... take note:

India vs Australia 1st ODI: 25 October 2009
Australia win by 4 runs

India vs Australia 2nd ODI 2009: 28 October 2009
India by 108 runs

India vs Australia 3rd ODI 2009: 30 October 2009
India win by 6 wickets

India vs Australia 4th ODI 2009: 01 November 2009
Australia win by 24 runs

India vs Australia 5th ODI 2009: 04 November 2009
Australia win by 3 runs

India vs Australia 6th ODI 2009: 07 November 2009