It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian man attacked and set alight in Melbourne

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

The Darwin Markets!

No where else in Australia have i been has showcased multiculturalism than those delicious markets!

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   

sounds awesome. beats my boring parties that's for sure!!

I agree though you cant beat it when you have a good mix of people. when I was living and working in Holland I had this, and it was great.

sitting at the canteen table talking to Muslims from Iran, Vietnamese, turks etc etc. I was just a young guy then, but I was like a sponge soaking it up, I loved it!

I wish more of my friends from Scotland had taken the plunge and got out of their hometown as well.

there's a whole big world out there and it's not all bad!!

g

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cygnus_Hunter

The Darwin Markets!

No where else in Australia have i been has showcased multiculturalism than those delicious markets!

My girlfriend and I are saving to go north later this year instead of going OS to Greece and Italy like we originally planned. We've always wanted to see Darwin. I have made note of the markets and can't wait to experience them!

Cheers,
IRM

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Spent many a night wandering those markets,truly an experience if you wish to fork-out and splurge!

I made some lasting friendships with many a person from a wide variety of backgrounds in the Territory.To this day i thank my lucky stars that i live in Australia,The vibrant culture that i hungered for surrounds me in a way i don't think many countries have the good fortune to experience.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by riley

You have NOT been dicussing the "possibilty" of a race/hate issue. You have been convicting aussies of crimes you have not been able to prove they commited. That is slander.

Star for your ignorance.

PLEASE show me where exactly have I convicted ANYBODY.

This entire thread has been baseless assertions that aussies are responsible for attacks against indians. You accused me of being over sensitive because I refused to accept that slander and then down played it as just disussing race hate issues. Nice spin.

btw. this thread is NOT about aussies attacking indians.. it's meant to be about a specific news story where one man got attacked yet some of you used it as a spring board to bash aussies. Stick to the facts.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by riley]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   

This entire thread has been baseless assertions that aussies are responsible for attacks against indians. You accused me of being over sensitive because I refused to accept that slander and then down played it as just disussing race hate issue. Nice spin.

SIGH.

No spin.

It's very simple. I'm not responsible for other peoples views and opinions. You can read through this thread and focus on the text of what I've written and please inform me WHERE I have slandered anybody.

HINT.

Try not to read between the lines that tends to be what's in your own imagination.

Thanks.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

This entire thread has been baseless assertions that aussies are responsible for attacks against indians. You accused me of being over sensitive because I refused to accept that slander and then down played it as just disussing race hate issue. Nice spin.

SIGH.

No spin.

It's very simple. I'm not responsible for other peoples views and opinions. You can read through this thread and focus on the text of what I've written and please inform me WHERE I have slandered anybody.

HINT.

Try not to read between the lines that tends to be what's in your own imagination.

Thanks.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by SLAYER69]

Come off it.. when I said this thread was slandering aussies I made it very clear that I was talking about those who claimed aussies were responsible for the "hate crimes" without proof. You chimed in and told me I was being over sensitive.. which suggested you agreed with those who claimed aussies were the ones going around attacking indians.

Now you hop to the other foot and pretend you weren't agreeing with them at all. That is spin.

Now.. maybe you can PROVE that the guy in the article (you know the one this thread is meant to be about..) was in fact a victim of a hate crime. After you do that.. others who insist his attackers were aussies can go find some actual evidence to support that assertion as well.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by riley

Riley, there are more than a few links in this Thread proving that some aussies are committing racial crimes, for Christs sake, even the australian Government have admitted it's a problem.

No-one is saying it's the majority of australians or all australians doing it.

Why is it so hard to swallow that there is a racial problem in australia between Australians and those of Foreign origin?

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

No doubts about that at all,but i think what smarts is the extremely large brush which the overseas media is painting Australia with.

Its like saying all Indian men burn their wives on pyres when they die,or,all Americans are crack smoking gun totting inbreds OR all Australians are blonde haired, bronzed gods that spend their time smoking pot and surfing.

Generalizations and stereotypes all.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
reply to post by riley

Riley, there are more than a few links in this Thread proving that some aussies are committing racial crimes, for Christs sake, even the australian Government have admitted it's a problem.

Nice try.. those links you provided show it was mostly other ethnic groups attacking indians.. not mostly aussies which is exactly what you were implying.

Why is it so hard to swallow that there is a racial problem in australia between Australians and those of Foreign origin?

See you did it STRAIGHT AWAY. You denied you were talking about aussies being responsible yet here you are yet again saying it's Australians who have a problem with people of foreign origin. :shk:

How exactly do you know those attackers are naturalised australians and not people of foreign origin? Those links you provided PROVE many are.

You seem hell bent on blaiming aussies for all the violence yet ignore all other ethnic groups that have been responsible for attacks against indians.

[edit on 10-1-2010 by riley]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Cygnus_Hunter

yeh, i agree. It is plastered all over the Media at the moment, and it probably does not help the situation any at all.

I do think it is blown out of proportion, although the racial violence still exists.

It's not a good thing at all. I was just thinking ( take cover ), and it's the Australian Open tennis away to start, and there has been some racial trouble here in the last few years.

Let us all hope it does not get ruined by the Indian Situation.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
reply to post by riley

Because this thread was about an isolated incident and not about the attitudes of Australians in general.
We focus on the article which then gets broadened to Australias attitude in general.

I would prefer to stick with one issue at a time, we may have isolated problems with race/hate crimes in general, but when anyone who is of different ethnicity gets attacked, it would be better to get the facts first rather than assume it was racially motivated.

The initial argument was about a man being set on fire, the only race mentioned was Indian, it has then been assumed this is racial attack even though the people reported to have done the crime where described as "MALE"

So please lets try and deal with either the issue of racism which is prevelent in every country to an extent, or deal with this one article, which is it?

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Forget the Aussie open.The Commonwealth games are too be held in India this year,And i believe England has pulled out,and Australia is considering the same.

England strenuously denies that it will pull out of the games over security issues,and Australia has released a media doc stating the same.

Time will tell.I hope all will compete at the games.

[edit on 10-1-2010 by Cygnus_Hunter]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by SuperSlovak
Here is more proof of Aussie racism. This coukd indeed be because of that kfc ad. Maybe the Aussies are trying to exterminate the indians. Racist bastards.

Yet here in a new thread you write:

Originally posted by SuperSlovak
Why do muslims claim to be peacefull? I've never heard any good news about Muslims. They like fire.

Thread

Wow... Just WOW!

It's one thing to say the advert is racist.. that's fine, everyone has an opinion... but to generalize and claim 'Aussies' as 'racist bastards' is nothing short of an ignorant cultural generalization.

And then you go and make cultural generalizations about Muslims and how they 'like fire' and that there aren't any peaceful Muslims.

You Sir, are a hypocrite of the worst order!

WOW!

IRM :shk:

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by riley

Riley, you really need to go and open a Dictionary and look at the difference between, Some, Many, Most and All.

You have got your heart set on bending the words of me and other posters. No-one in this entire thread have stated or implied in any way that the majority or all White Australians are responsible for the racism.

Now please, re-read what I just wrote very slowly and cross reference with your dictionary.

As Munkey has just stated above, I am now going to concentrate on the story that the OP intended to talk about, so i'm done with this banging of my head of a wall.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Now.. maybe you can PROVE that the guy in the article (you know the one this thread is meant to be about..) was in fact a victim of a hate crime. After you do that.. others who insist his attackers were aussies can go find some actual evidence to support that assertion as well.

Why should I?

I've not made any claims of facts. I do however understand that "apparently" some are sensitive to the "discussion" of such situation. Why is that? I just opened a discussion on HATE/RACE crimes which "seem" to be on the increase in Australia. Why is it so hard to believe that some down under are capable of this?

Denial over the possibility?

Let me ask you a question?

If it turns out not to be racially motivated or that is was done by "Other minority groups" what difference does it make? [It's one possible aspect of the case] A man was set a blaze. If it is racially motivated how is that any more or less? It's still a heinous crime.

If it turns out that in fact to be racially motivated shouldn't it be discussed out in the open so the situations can be addressed? The difference between you and I is that I can accept the possibility that a small group in Australia who "May be" racially motivated have possibly committed a crime.

[edit on 10-1-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

We all should be open to the possibilities.We should all be guarding against the spread of disinfo.

These crimes happened,the perps WILL be caught regardless of race or creed.

And they will be made to PAY for what they have done to these pour souls.

I live in Australia as an immigrant,but i see myself as a citizen of the world.We need abolish nationalism and embrace a federated world.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   

This matter remains under investigation by the Victorian police," she said, adding that the government would not comment further until police could provide more information.

A police source has since told Fairfax Media "there are things that don't add up in the initial reports".

A police spokeswoman said the investigation was ongoing and the first task was always to establish whether a crime had occurred.

news.ninemsn.com.au...

Wouldn't it be an interesting turn of events if it was found he accidently set himself on fire and out of embarrasment tried to lay the blame at 4 men of no description.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66
Wouldn't it be an interesting turn of events if it was found he accidently set himself on fire and out of embarrasment tried to lay the blame at 4 men of no description.

This is a very real possibility.
No Doubt, nothing has been ruled in or out.

Stay tuned.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

There are some strange aspects that don't seem 'normal'...

But it will all come out in the wash. The best thing anyone can do is to exercise some caution and resist the urge to make draw conclusions until all the evidence is available for scrutiny.

IRM

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join