It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian man attacked and set alight in Melbourne

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I'm against racism, and I'll just start with that but has anyone stopped to think maybe there is too many Indian immigrants in Australia? It would seem almost everywhere you go they are in packs (Brisbane) as if trying to be intimidating. I've seen groups of Indians loitering outside the local shops all standing in aggressive stances, and no.. I haven't seen Australian's doing that in my area.. We're not much for "gang activity".

Maybe Aussies are sick of seeing a Indian almost everywhere they go, in almost every taxi, convenience store or hospital.

It's not a remark that I intend to be racist, as I know how many of you are itching to hit ye olde "reply to this post" or "quote" button and jump on the international bandwagon declaring that Australia is a racist country. I am only being observant and any other honest Australian that lives in a city area would be able to tell you the same thing.

Edit: Attempt to fix spelling

[edit on 9/1/10 by WishForWings]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I'm finished here.

But in conclusion: violence bad/bigotry=mind killer.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cygnus_Hunter
reply to post by OhZone

Wow what a stupid post.
Seriously,its drivel like that that reinforces stereotypes.Crimes against people here in Australia know no racial boundaries,in fact its probably one area which multiculturalism has flourished.

DENY IGNORANCE.

You must be either very young and thorougly brain washed or just very ignorant; lacking basic eduation.

What I said stands a truth. Something about truth that people don't like.
I wonder what it is. Maybe it just is that it upsets their Programming.

Learn the Truth and the Truth will set you Free;
But first it will make you very angry.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
This article perhaps sums up the whole drama...

www.smh.com.au...

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

Ok this is my last post.

You sir/madam,actually believe that?You believe that the rivers will run red with blood due to race-wars here in Australia? Its xenophobic views like that that probably will make that happen.

The vast majority of us Aussies,just want to get along and live our lives with out that racist crap that is being spouted.

If anything like that happens its because of small minded people who spew racist views and foist that poison on others with weaker will power.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please review the above link.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by Cygnus_Hunter]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
reply to post by riley

fyi everyone.. HE was not set alight.. he was in his car and his car was set alight

Really, that's not what i'm reading.

The gang - said by police to comprise four men - poured fluid over him and then set him alight

news.bbc.co.uk...

and from an Australian News source -

As the man was getting out of the vehicle, four men allegedly attacked him, pushed him back against the vehicle and poured an unknown fluid on him.

One of the men is alleged to have then ignited the fluid with a lighter before all four men fled

www.perthnow.com.au...

I heared it on the tv news but the articles have not been updated yet however there is a pic of his burnt car in some. If he was standing away from his car and got set alight that is very different than sitting in his car and being set alight. That makes sense as the front of his car is all burnt (around the drivers seat). For all we know they might have been trying to carjack him or he might have interrupted them stealing/torching his car.

Regradless it still does not prove it was a racially motivated attack; nor does it prove the attackers were aussie (white). He can't even decribe them.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by OhZone

Why do dark skinned people immigrate to countries with a predominanty white population?

The white people's discrimination against dark people is no secret.
No human has any inherent liking for those who are not like themselves.
That is one of the basic laws of nature.
If we adjusted our activities according to these basic laws there would be more harmony in the world.

I don't even know what to say ...
Do you really not see the resounding bigotry in these statements?
Perhaps I misunderstood. Help me out with your message...
Please explain a bit more

[edit on 9-1-2010 by LadySkadi]

What do you want me to explain?
What I just stated is Basic Human Nature.
It transcends reason; it is hard wired in our DNA.
It is also basic to all Species on the Whole Planet.

There is a natural fear/hatred of that which is different.
There is also a natural fear of Strangers that runs across all species.
That which is different and strange represents a threat to survival.
Survival is the #1 Instinct of all Life.

This isn't my idea.
Go argue it with your creator.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
People should focus on the politics instead of the attackers.
The attackers are the result of politics and their laws.
In the end, is the result of years of bad immigration and integration laws.

Politics are the ones to blame, not the revolt citizen.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by OhZone

There is a natural fear/hatred of that which is different.

In some less secure people there may be. Personally I enjoy different cultures. When I walk around Melbourne on my way to work, I often think to myself how great it is to have such diversity and how awesome it is that most of us can all walk around in peace with each other. Variety is the spice of life, as they say.

IRM

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by crustas

Birth - good parenting - good schooling - national service - travel a bit

I reckon this kind of timeline would make a decent man out of anyone. Must e-mail Kevin rudd.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

the World needs more of YOU InfraRedMan!!

If only more people thought like this, we would all be living together much happier.

Unfortunatley, there's too many people on the other side of the coin.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by riley

The context the posters are using the word "aussie" is the stereotypical "white aussie"*. They won't actually say white australian but thats who they are slandering.

Slandering?

We were discussing the possibility of a Race/Hate issue. What's with people tonight? I've never known any Aussie [Both Friends/Extended family] to be so thinned skinned.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I'll 2nd that one.

If I had a $ for every time someone called me a "jock" for being Scottish then i'd be a rich man.

Oh, I was so hurt they never called me a White Scotsman!!

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I think its because this is the first time our "tolerant" society has really been called into question and we are overwhelmed by the negativity that is usually reserved for America and Britain!

And I'm a Scottish-Australian,proud to be surrounded by people from all nations.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by Cygnus_Hunter]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

The context the posters are using the word "aussie" is the stereotypical "white aussie"*. They won't actually say white australian but thats who they are slandering.

Slandering?

We were discussing the possibility of a Race/Hate issue. What's with people tonight. I've never known any Aussie's
[Both Friends/Extended family] to be so thinned skinned.

You have NOT been dicussing the "possibilty" of a race/hate issue. You have been convicting aussies of crimes you have not been able to prove they commited. That is slander.

and don't try the "you're just being sensitive" bs.. just because aussies don't want to put up with YOUR racism doesn't mean we're being over sensitive.

I could always say.. why are people taking these crimes so personally? It's not like it happened to them. I am entitled to my opinion and I am entitled to get offended. Telling me I'm just being over senstive is just a lame attempt to shut me and others up.

Aussies are racially attacking indians are they? PROVE IT.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by riley]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cygnus_Hunter
I think its because this is the first time our "tolerant" society has really been called into question and we are overwhelmed by the negativity that is usually reserved for America and Britain!

Well being an American I can vouch for having our "dirty laundry" plastered all over the media/internet. It's no sweat off my pair.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
More on the poor chap that was cut and partially burned.

www.abc.net.au...

Two men, believed to be Indian seasonal workers employed by Mr Singh, were arrested at Sydney airport's departure lounge last Monday as they were about to board a flight to Nepal via Singapore, Fairfax reported.

As more information comes in i will try to debunk,or concede as the cases may be.

Once again,crime favors no race.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   

You have NOT been dicussing the "possibilty" of a race/hate issue. You have been convicting aussies of crimes you have not been able to prove they commited. That is slander.

Star for your ignorance.

PLEASE show me where exactly have I convicted ANYBODY.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Eeew vinegary!

But do you see what I'm trying to say?No one is more shocked by these shenanigans than we Aussies.(apart from those whom the crimes are perpetrated on)

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
reply to post by InfaRedMan

the World needs more of YOU InfraRedMan!!

If only more people thought like this, we would all be living together much happier.

Unfortunatley, there's too many people on the other side of the coin.

I honestly believe that most people share my sentiments. It's just that normal, peace loving people don't make headlines.

My family is very multicultural. I have Dutch/German, Aussie/Welsh, Chinese, Czechoslovakian and Chilean relatives. Mate, you should get a sample of the food and music we have at our parties. Simply sensational!

Each year, my girlfriend and I also celebrate Diwali with our Indian friends, Chinese New Year and the Awakening Of The Dragon, Chilean Independence Day, The Greek Festival, The French Festival, Oktoberfest and once a year, we all come together to celebrate Australia Day.

IMHO, this is what Australia is all about!

IRM

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join