It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian man attacked and set alight in Melbourne

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Indian man attacked and set alight in Melbourne

news.bbc.co.uk

An Indian man is in a serious condition in a Melbourne hospital after being attacked and set alight by a gang.

The attack comes a week after an Indian graduate student, Nitin Garg, was stabbed to death in the city.

This prompted a travel advisory from the Indian government about the safety of Melbourne.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
India and Australia condemn student killing

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I honestly don't know what to say...

I've linked to another thread regarding recent violence between Aussies and Indians. These types of crimes [Hate/Race] seem to be on the rise down under. Sad really.

Could any of our Aussie members please chime in and give their perspective?

Thanks

PEACE

Slay

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9-1-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I remember a few years back there was a lot of racial fighting going on in australia. I think it was Sydney.

Looks like it's flaring up again in Melbourne now.

IMHO some countries will never be very good at hosting coloured immigrants without major problems. Some people are just so narrow minded and need to travel a bit to realise that there is a huge mix of people in most places you go.

I'm guessing it's mostly young folks causing the problems.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Good god, it never ceases to disgust me as to how inhuman we are.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Here is a local Aussie news perspective.

Indian man 'set on fire' in Melbourne attack

"The circumstances of parking a car randomly on a side street and just some people approaching him are a bit strange and it's highly unlikely, therefore, to be a targeted attack on any individual."

Police were told the man had dropped his wife at home and gone to park his car after a dinner party when he was set upon in Grice Crescent.

Police allege that as the man was getting out of the car, four men attacked him, pushing him back against the vehicle and pouring an unknown fluid on him.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
While the bacground specifics of this case are as yet unknown and it's purely conjecture at this stage, I would suggest that maybe gangs who would previously attack random people for thrills or initiation are now deliberately seeking out Indians to attack because of all the recent media hype. If it makes international news then all the more bragging rights. Perhaps it has become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

[edit on 2010-1-9 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Ugh this is disgusting! For what it's worth not all of us hate the Indian people that live here, but unfortunatley there is always some group ready to ruin our reputation because of their small minded views. I just really hope this doesnt escalate into something further. People already think we are all racist, it only seems to be getting worse!

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Hello,

I've been reading through ATS for a little while now but this post made me want to state my observations as an Australian.

I grew up in Liverpool which is a fairly rough place with plenty of hateful people of ALL cultures just looking for a reason to pick a fight.

I can tell you now

it is almost ALWAYS racially motivated.

As a country we love to tell the world that we are friendly and carefree but I can tell you there is a deep natural culture of racism in our society. If your back is turned you can bet that people of all ages are making quick judgments and comments about you based on your culture and social class.

The current notion that being a bad person is the new "in" thing holds true in Australia. We are very apathetic.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by bkaust
Ugh this is disgusting! For what it's worth not all of us hate the Indian people that live here, but unfortunatley there is always some group ready to ruin our reputation because of their small minded views.

I never assumed it was a wide spread feeling down under. This just does not seem like the Australia I know. I've been there three times in the past 15 years. I hope this does not continue to increase in frequency and level of violence.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Very sad to see this headline. But racism rears it's ugly head everywhere, for the most part Indian natives are only there to further an education that is unavailable to them at home too.

Why does the color of a man's skin or his nationality spark such hatred in some? What kind of mind does it take to decide to hate based on such petty reasons? It is just an enigma to me, but I do think it starts at home, what the children are taught, more people need to address racial differences in their own homes, raise their children with respect for others, and not to fear those who are different and things can change.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
It's the kind of society we live in and we all know it. Too many young people these days are being brought up with no good parenting, therefore they have no respect for anything or anyone.

This case is sickening, although horrible assaults like this are happening all over the world.

Youth gangs, who are having a good night out getting drugged up and kicking the **** out of whoever looks weaker or different than them.

Bring in National Service in every country. The Army is the only way these Wasters will learn any respect for anyone.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
It does feel like brutal attacks are on the rise. A similar thing happened in Florida to a 15 year old boy. I wish there were more details in this case, more background, some sort of information that would help narrow down a reason for such a thing to have happened... Horrible.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Please read this.

www.abc.net.au...

No-where in the media does it state what nationality/race carried out this crime,only that yes it happened in Australia.Please do not judge us all on what some mentally unstable individuals do.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by Cygnus_Hunter,for spelling]

[edit on 9-1-2010 by Cygnus_Hunter]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
I would suggest that maybe gangs who would previously attack random people for thrills or initiation are now deliberately seeking out Indians to attack because of all the recent media hype. If it makes international news then all the more bragging rights. Perhaps it has become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I'm with you there.

The media always seems to repeat "the Indian man" in situations like this. All we need to know is that he was a man, and maybe his age.

Maybe the media are the real racists. They know their actions will cause more attacks.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
These reports are designed to stir up anti-India/anti-Australia sentiment. Are there racist people in Australia that specifically hate Indians? Yes, but they make up a small minority. The people that perpetrate these crimes are cowardly idiots filled with irrational hate. Make no mistake: the behaviour carried out by this minority goes against the spirit and values of the majority of Australians...

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I think it's a hard one to call for the media. they're damned if they do and damned if they don't so to speak.

I mean the victims name will be in the Newspapers anyway, so there is no hiding the fact he was a coloured man.

with all the racist violence these days, it would not surprise me one bit if it was because he was Indian.

My opinion - tell the facts, give us the details.

No-ones saying the majority of young australians or whoever are racist. I've lived there myself for a while, and the same problems are here in New Zealand in a big way.

One thing i have noticed in Australia and New Zealand - people are so cut off from civilisation over here, they can be very racist and very narrow minded. It's always going to be a problem...period

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Attacks of this nature do seem to be increasing in number in Oz and a number of people who I know have travelled there a saying the sighs are quite evident of this especially in the inner cities.

The cause remains a mystery but maybe it is a consequence of the countries stance with regards to their small immigration stance, something which is held up as a beacon of hope by the right wing and an example for others to follow around the world, which in turn leads to those of a violent nature to protect this ideal via actions such as these.

Similar acts carried out in the UK, France and Germany can generally trace the motive back to a disenfranchised youth generation striking out in at a society which they deem to be job/benefit stealers especially in these hard economic times.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Australia is probably the last country that does not bow to the alter of political correctness. If that is their culture I see no reason for any of us to look down upon them. Cultural diversity is something we should all embrace, and not consider them to be any less simply because they are different from us.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by factbeforefiction]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
I honestly don't know what to say...

I've linked to another thread regarding recent violence between Aussies and Indians. These types of crimes [Hate/Race] seem to be on the rise down under. Sad really.

Could any of our Aussie members please chime in and give their perspective?

What violence between aussies and indians..? I'm really getting tired of people saying this is a aussie/indian issue. Past attacks on indians (specifically the ones students were protesting over) have either been from other indians or other ethnic groups that would never refer to themselves as aussie.. so who are you talking about exactly? Where does it say his attackers were an "aussie" gang?

"Aussie" typically means someone who is naturalised australian so it's insulting to have propogandists try marry the term "aussie" and racist" together when it is not the aussie culture that is causing the (alledged) racial attacks but conflicts that have been carried over from other countries. Why don't the indians protesting mention the other ethnic groups that are actually involved rather than blaming "aussies"?

Never let the truth get in the way of a good witch hunt! :shk:

[edit on 9-1-2010 by riley]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by riley

what violence?

this violence -

blog.taragana.com...

www.youthworkinternational.com...

www.thaindian.com...

www.youthkiawaaz.com...

www.workers.org...

theres just a few of the stories that i found in two minutes of searching.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join