It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google wants to buy, sell electricity in US

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Google wants to buy, sell electricity in US

rawstory.com

nternet search giant Google is seeking government authority to buy and sell electricity in the United States, a further expansion of its operations aimed at boosting renewable energy.

In a document filed last month with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and obtained by AFP, Google indicated that its Google Energy unit asked for "market-based rate authority."

Under that authority, "Google Energy will engage in wholesale electric power and energy transactions as a marketer," the filing said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
How does a simple search engine climb to such highest ?

Does this news trouble you or inspire you ? Seems to me if google is given enough time they just may end up owning everything , they are nothing if not ambitious !

Personally I have no idea , perhaps one of you out there can enlighten me / us , as to how google makes money and how a search engine company can rise to such highest ?

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I heard that the majority of its funding comes from the NSA but they say that they are raking in billions through online ad selling. I don't buy it.

...its not that simple of a search engine, theres a lot of back end coding to that.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
It would seem to me that one other asset they have and perhaps there most lucrative could be all the information that they have collected on each of us .

[edit on 9-1-2010 by Max_TO]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Yep thats what the NSA does and google has become sorta like their front-man.

gmail, google office where you can edit documents online..
the buyout of youtube...

just keep all your personal stuff right on their servers, don't worry, google is your friend

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO

It would seem to me that one other asset they have and perhaps there most lucrative could be all the information that they have collected on each of us .

[edit on 9-1-2010 by Max_TO]

More like the information that you have voluntarily give to them - quit acting like you must use to internet in order to survive. Privacy only exists in your mind for the most part. In today's world it is an outdated concept.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Actually Google has their hands in just about every pie these days.

They may have relied on speculative investment funds in the beginning when they were looking to expand beyond being just a Search Engine, but now they are as wealthy as Microsoft.

And don't underestimate the revenue stream they get from Advertising. Google AdSense and AdWords generates an obscene amount of revenue. There is very good reason why Search Engine Placement is their most carefully guarded secret (and jealously guarded Intellectual Property).

Although one has to question which is the lesser of two evils. A State mandated Monopoly as is the case with every Public Utility Company, or a behemoth Multi-National Corporation? I'm actually all for competition, especially when it comes to Public Utilities. It could be good for consumers at least until Google became a Monopoly in that market.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by fraterormus]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
One thing is for sure , once people start getting a monthly bill from google in there mail box there will be a lot of people that stop seeing them as a cool company and will in turn start looking at them as yet another mongol .

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Why do people see those who give you electricity as Mongols?

Curious.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
what if they want supply water next what if they want to start puttin there programs in cars and houses, i mean anytime a company gets to big we run the risk of having them start seeping into our everday lives even today we see this i mean ( ask yourself what search engine do you use most of the time?) what makes you think they wont or havent started censoring the flow of info we must be careful of any company that starts moving into new fields, we dont need a search enigine that is "to big to fail"

new topics

top topics

join