It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soda fountains contained fecal bacteria, study found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I new I didn't like going to Virginia for a good reason...now I've found it!

Would you like some feces with your drink ma'm?

It fizzes. It quenches. And it could also contain fecal bacteria.

Nearly half of the 90 beverages from soda fountain machines in one area in Virginia tested positive for coliform bacteria -- which could indicate possible fecal contamination, according to a study published in the January issue of International Journal of Food Microbiology.

Researchers also detected antibiotic-resistant microbes and E.coli in the soda samples. edition.cnn.com...

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Heh my exgirlfriend likes fountain drinks.

That explains a lot.

MessOnTheFED!

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by joey_hv

I'm not sure I want to know how that happened. The thought of what highschool kids working the late shift did there is just mind-numbing.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
A lot of human parasites are found in human fecal matter. The best solution is to eat and drink at home and keep your hands washed. Just keep your hands washed and drink bottled or canned soda pops.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by joey_hv

G'day joey_hv

I know a little about this "infection control" area & that doesn't suprise me at all.

If you really want some cheerful reading, look up some information about what's growing in those soft-serve ice cream & yoghurt machines.

They're an absolute shocker!

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Eat crap, my friend.
Stay thirsty.
Are you really surprised by anything we do so we may stay "civilized".?

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
One thing I remember from watching Mythbusters, is that they did an experiment where they had results showing fecal bacteria everywhere in their building.
Not sure what it meant, but with that and since most convenience stores have restrooms on the insides of the stores, as well as people who don't wash their hands, couldn't that go to some measure towards why they found the presences of fecal bacteria?

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by RuneSpider

One thing I remember from watching Mythbusters, is that they did an experiment where they had results showing fecal bacteria everywhere in their building.
Not sure what it meant, but with that and since most convenience stores have restrooms on the insides of the stores, as well as people who don't wash their hands, couldn't that go to some measure towards why they found the presences of fecal bacteria?

G'day RuneSpider

You're on the right track......those little beasties are everywhere.

Do a test on your own toothbrush.

You'll probably find fecal contamination.

It can get there a number of ways, including aerosol production from toilet flushing & also by hand contamination.

Hey.....don't shoot the messenger.....I didn't start this thread

Cheers
Maybe...maybe not

[edit on 8-1-2010 by Maybe...maybe not]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
If it's a self-serve fountain, the result doesn't surprise me at all. Humans are nasty creatures. Their offspring even more so.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Well, they do say that a dog's mouth is cleaner than a human's mouth. Considering dogs sometimes eat poop, lick their privates, and eat anything that happens to be on the ground, this new information shouldn't be any kind of surprise . . . but, I'm still shocked by it, nonetheless.

Frankly, if we can digest foreign fecal matter and all the other nastiness we seem to consume unwittingly, it's no wonder the human species has survived so long--our bellies should be made of cast iron by now.

new topics

top topics

join