It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Statue of Pharaoh Taharqa Discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I did not see that this was brought to the attention of the ATS Forum as of yet, so I offer this recent find for review.

Archaeologists Discover Statue Of Black Egyptian Pharaoh

Archaeologists have discovered a monumental statue of an ancient black Egyptian pharaoh of the Nubian 25th Dynasty in Dangeil, Sudan, about 350 kilometres northeast of the capital, Khartoum.

The granite statue of the warrior pharaoh Taharqa weighs one ton, according to its discoverer, Dr Caroline Rocheleau of the North Carolina Museum of Art, who added it was: “More than life-size and weighs over one ton.”

Black Egytian Pharaoh

There is an excellent Photo of Taharqa's Head, from some previous dig, since it seems to on display

While at another Source

Massive statue of Pharaoh Taharqa discovered deep in Sudan

Dangeil is near the fifth cataract of the Nile River, about 350 kilometres northeast of the Sudanese capital of Khartoum. There was a settlement at the time of Taharqa, but little of it has been excavated. Most of the finds discovered at Dangeil, so far, date to the time of the Kingdom of Meroe (3rd century BC – 3rd century AD).

While this is the furthest south that a pharaoh’s statue has been found, it doesn’t necessarily mean that Dangeil is the southern border of Taharqa’s empire. It’s possible that he controlled territory further up the Nile.

The statue of Taharqa is truly monumental. “It’s a symbol of royal power,” said Dr. Anderson, an indicator that Dangeil was an “important royal city.”

Taharqa found in Deep Sudan

Along with Photos of the actual find, there is quite a bit of information about this in this article, as well as some related finds.

There is also a link to further details including translations of the Inscriptions on the Base and Side of this statue. It does appear to be in pieces, but nonetheless it is a remarkable piece of history.

The Link to the translations is found at the following line, near the bottom of the above page. It is currently crashed, but I trust in the days to come, this will be up and you can navigate to this via the following phrase in the body of the Independent News Story.

"Massive Taharqa Statue Discovered deep in Sudan – Pictures, inscriptions and an interview"

Look for the above phrase

Wiki also offers a bit of info on the subject, and indicates Mr Will Pinkett (aka the Fresh Prince) Smith will play Taharqa in an up and coming film on this Pharaoh.

Taharqa

I hope this wasn't previously posted, and hope that further finds will occur, since they are now needing to reconsider the actual importance of the region of Dangeil.

Ciao

Shane

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   

There is also a link to further details including translations of the Inscriptions on the Base and Side of this statue. It does appear to be in pieces, but nonetheless it is a remarkable piece of history.

I made reference to this "Other Link", and found today it is active and operating quite well.

Massive Taharqa statue discovered deep in Sudan - Pictures, inscriptions and an interview

On Taharqa’s belt these words are inscribed:

The perfect god Taharqo son of Amun-Re

The statue’s backpillar also contains a partial inscription-

‘The Perfect God, ‘Lord of the Two Lands, Lord of Action... King of Upper and Lower Egypt, Nefertum-Khu-Re’, son of Re’, Taharqo, [beloved] of Re’-Harakhty who resides in Ms (the inscription here is gone) forever

It does repeat the first portion, but goes on and expresses the interest the researchers have in finding three other "Missing Statues" of Kings between the ones found so far, as well as their expectations for Next October in locating the Head of Taharqa. Of course there are the inscriptions as well as several Photos of these pieces.

Pictures, Inscriptions, Interview

Ciao

Shane

[edit on 9-1-2010 by Shane]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
The Louvre to host an Nubian Exhibit in March

Sudan's land of 'black pharaohs' a trove for archaeologists
Kush was one of the earliest civilisations in the Nile valley and, at first, was dominated by Egypt. The Nubians eventually gained their independence and, at the height of their power, they turned the table on Egypt and conquered it in the 8th century BC.

They occupied the entire Nile valley for a century before being forced back into what is now Sudan.

At the end of March, the Louvre will host its first exhibition on the Meroe dynasty, the last in a line of "black pharaohs" that ruled Kush for more than 1,000 years until the kingdom's demise in 350 AD.

It will be interesting to see what is presented and displayed at this event. They where the team that actually "found" Taharqa

Their team recently discovered a massive, one-tonne statue of King Taharqa, the most famous of the "black pharaohs," who ruled in the 7th century BC.

Although very much in Egypt's shadow, Sudan remains a gold mine for archaeologists because it has been far less explored.

"Egypt is fabulous, it is fantastic, but Sudan is a paradise for archaeologists because every time you excavate there, you write a new page in the country's history," says Ahmed, adding that 30 archaeological teams are working in Sudan compared with more than 1,000 in its northern neighbour.

Sudan is full of untouched sites, explains Rilly.

I wonder if this lack of interest, (so to speak), is a result of the Political Situation seen in this region over the last few decades, or if the neglect was due to other concerns or priorities, like Lower Egypt, for an example.

"It's absolutely amazing what has emerged. There are several temples, a huge palace and houses, in a place where I would never have thought of finding anything," Rilly says.

Swiss archaeologist Mattieu Honeggar recently discovered a site at Wadi Al-Arab, in a corner of the desert area of north Sudan that was inhabited nearly 10,000 years ago, many millennia before the "black pharaohs," and could allow a better understanding of man's transition to a sedentary lifestyle.

There truely seems to be MUCH going on now, but still to few to work in these fields.

I guess Time will resolve this.

"Sudan" Link

Ciao

Shane

join