It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Country Doesn't Deserve Liberty

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I want to make this short.

I have lived in the US for roughly 8 years and rarely do I spend time outside without worrying about harassment or seeing others getting harassed.

There are people who abuse the so called "liberties" or what I call "privileges." They put it in their own contexts and interpretations which result in hurtful actions.

When I lived in Germany, adults were very courteous. No one said more than what was necessary.

We go to other countries and suppress populations and we want freedom for ourselves?

Isn't that hypocritical?

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
"This Country" is not made up of the same exact person. I would say that most of the people do not know what freedom means, but everyone deserves freedom.

As for 'privileges' please explain exactly what you mean. Freedom is never a privilege.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
There's one big difference between the majority of Americans and the ruling class. Most people (except neoconservativse) think that the war in Iraq was wrong. Many people agree with the war in Afghanistan. I don't think that the whole population doesn't deserve to have freedom for that one war. I don't think that most of the population even wants war. It's one foreign policy and it doesn't seem to change.

Don't blame the voters. The people who voted for Bush didn't vote for him at first because he was a neocon. He wanted to invade Iraq before 9-11 yes. But the voters didn't know he was going to invade all those other countries. People don't usually support this kind of thing. They think they're getting a change but they're not. So, don't blame the voters next time.

[edit on 8-1-2010 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
everybody deserves librety. Even if HE DOSEN'T KNOW IT.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

There are people who abuse the so called "liberties" or what I call "privileges."

Freedom is not a "privilege," as far as I can remember the Declaration is pretty straightforward when it states that we were BORN free. With liberty and justice for all...

No one hands me my "freedom" on account of my good behavior.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Don't blame the voters. The people who voted for Bush didn't vote for him at first because he was a neocon. He wanted to invade Iraq before 9-11 yes. But the voters didn't know he was going to invade all those other countries. People don't usually support this kind of thing. They think they're getting a change but they're not. So, don't blame the voters next time.

I blame the voters.

If after almost 100 years of voting for a candidate that will then betray your trust, thinking that this won't happen again is insane.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"
-Einstein

People should know better at this point. I do not blame them for the crap our government does, but I blame them for willingly doing nothing to stop it.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
America deserves as much liberty as any other country. The problem is that with great power comes great responsibility. The american government is probably the most powerful in terms of military, but instead of fighting wars they shouldn't be in the first place, they should be doing humanitarian work towards people that need it. Of course what I'm saying sounds very utopian and all, but what I mean is that the American people should not blame themselves. It is not the voters fault, whoever you vote you'd get the same results. What you should do though, is more protests and people should go out in the streets. I know people have a life, but this is necessary.

I have never been to the United States, but I want to because it is a beautiful place, despite the politics. Also, I have many American friends who I know I can't blame for the wars that the USA has started. So it is not the voter's fault. Protests would be good though.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alasian
America deserves as much liberty as any other country. The problem is that with great power comes great responsibility. The american government is probably the most powerful in terms of military, but instead of fighting wars they shouldn't be in the first place, they should be doing humanitarian work towards people that need it.

I have never been to the United States, but I want to because it is a beautiful place, despite the politics. Also, I have many American friends who I know I can't blame for the wars that the USA has started. So it is not the voter's fault. Protests would be good though.

Actually, the US and its military does as much or more humanitarian work around the globe than any other nation. Even in the war zones in Iraq and Afghanistan, a large part of the effort (and expense) is humanitarian.

Also, the USA did not start these wars, and even if you believe that it did, it was and still is a multi-national coalition that went into Iraq (Albania, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep, El Salvador, Estonia, Georgia, Honduras, Hungary, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, South Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Moldova, Mongolia, the Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, , United Kingdom, and Ukraine). There are still other nations not even mentioned here which I have personally seen in Iraq, including soldiers from African nations such as Uganda.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by DINSTAAR
reply to post by Frankidealist35

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"
-Einstein

Does that make pushing a random number generator over and over and over again expecting a new result insane?

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Zedd31415

Does that make pushing a random number generator over and over and over again expecting a new result insane?

I guess if you were expecting a letter.

Voting is kind of like a random number generator.... just that there are only 2 numbers. Both the numbers are poor choices.

Think of the South Park episode Douche and Turd where the kids are coerced by P Diddy and his Vote-or-die people to decide between a Giant Douche and a Turd Sandwich for their school mascot.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Maybe everyone that we label as enemies should get as many "rights" as we have.

But they don't.

In this world, people have different amount of rights.

Why would God do this to us? Does God favor social Darwinism?

We seem to blame everything that's wrong in our country on others.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
I want to make this short.

I have lived in the US for roughly 8 years and rarely do I spend time outside without worrying about harassment or seeing others getting harassed.

There are people who abuse the so called "liberties" or what I call "privileges." They put it in their own contexts and interpretations which result in hurtful actions.

When I lived in Germany, adults were very courteous. No one said more than what was necessary.

We go to other countries and suppress populations and we want freedom for ourselves?

Isn't that hypocritical?

Freedom a privilege?

Additionally, you're excessively generalizing.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DINSTAAR

You blame people for willingly doing nothing to stop the crap our government does but do not offer a solution or tell us what you personally have been doing to stop the crap.

I would like to think that your answer to stopping the crap is not to be found in the wisdom of South Park and P. Diddy and that you were just kidding.

Also, I can pretty much identify and list the crap from the last 50 or 60 years but would you detail the crap between 1910 and 1940? I look forward to your thoughts.

Peace..............yak055h

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Hope is not lost for the United States, nor is the sense of responsibility that comes with Liberty lost. So long as but one person in the United States remembers what their country once stood for, and holds firm to those ideals without compromise, without condition, and rises to fulfill their duties and obligations to ensure Freedom, Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness for All People equally, then the sacrifices that have been made to keep that dream alive will be for naught.

It is very much true that many would take their Freedom for granted. It is equally as true that many would take Liberty as a Privilege disregarding the Duty and Responsibilities that it demands in return. It is also true that many would trample upon the Rights of others so long as they have their own.

The ideas embodied into the founding writs of the United States was not to overturn Human Nature. There is no thing that can take away the Human Condition. People will be people, for better or for worse, as such is their inalienable Right to do with their lives as they so choose, whether that means tarnishing their credibility, forsaking their ideals, proving themselves to be devoid of moral decency, wallowing in self pity, giving in to their vices, damning their souls, or doing the complete opposite and rising above their own selfishness and faults and becoming something truly great to contribute to the betterment of all humanity. Although by Nature we may not be created equal, some of us born into circumstance, and some of us born into privilege, but under the ideals of our Nation, we all have the same equal rights to choose how to live our lives, to be noble or to be petty.

As such, our system is just as prone, if not perhaps more so, to corruption as the next political model. However, in a political system of Freedom and Responsibility, there is personal accountability, not communal culpability. The sins of the many cannot be held upon the shoulders of the the individual. Every American is not responsible for the crimes our leaders or our military, or another American commits in the name of the Nation. We only can share in that guilt if we fail in our Patriotic Responsibility and Duty to speak up, or act, when we witness wrong when we have the ability to stop it.

Besides, America is still the youngest of the great Nations of the World. Just as a teenager must grow petulant and disrespectful, frustrated and irate as they go through puberty, think that they know it all, and are God's Gift to Humanity, and make countless mistakes before they grow into a conscientious adult, so is America. We have made it through our childhood, but we aren't quite grown to adulthood yet as a Nation. Some of us are there, but most of aren't. Even Edison had to fail 2,000 times before he got the invention of the lightbulb right. Those failures paved the way for his success, and so it is with America.

Please forgive the People, for oftentimes they know not what they do...we're still learning to fly with our new found national wings...and although this isn't the first time we've crashed and burned it probably won't be the last time either. However, we are learning both from our mistakes as well as our successes, and growing from them both. Other, older countries have been there before. They may roll their eyes having forgotten what it was like in their youth, but we do have to do it our own unique way if ever there is to be hope that we will grow up to become a responsible and conscientious adult Nation that truly is concerned with the benefit of all Humanity rather than their own selfish Nationalistic interests. Have patience, the United States will get there, eventually.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by bagari

Even if those countries were taking part in the wars, they were actually dragged there by NATO etc, the American government was the leader of these wars. It does not matter who started them, the USA is leading them. And all I was saying was that the US government did not consult its people before going to fight these wars, which equals to a fascist government doing whatever it wants. Something like Hitler.

Didn't you know? Wars are a bad thing.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL

What exactly is the relation of your post to this thread?

Thought I should ask since it does not seem very relevant.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by yak055h

Short and sweet

You blame people for willingly doing nothing to stop the crap our government does but do not offer a solution or tell us what you personally have been doing to stop the crap.

Already have, other threads. It gets long and tedious. LINK

I would like to think that your answer to stopping the crap is not to be found in the wisdom of South Park and P. Diddy and that you were just kidding.

Trey Parker and Matt Stone saturate their show with life lessons, morals, and relevant ideas. They also saturate it with swearing, violence, and other things of adult nature. It is not everyone's cup of tea, but it has merit. P Diddy was a character, he wasn't actually in the show. They were making fun of his "Vote or Die" campaign.

That episode is about voting. Stan chooses not to vote because they are voting between two terrible things.

I have heard it said, "If you don't vote, you don't have a right to complain".

I heard a very funny reply, "If you choose to vote between a piece of poop, and a piece of poop with corn in it, don't complain about the smell".

Also, I can pretty much identify and list the crap from the last 50 or 60 years but would you detail the crap between 1910 and 1940? I look forward to your thoughts.

1913-the FED is put in place.

INCOME TAX
Check the link. It is a wonder that we had anyone get rich in 1917.

WWI -the sinking of RMS Lusitania and its questionable time, place, and circumstance.

"Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations--entangling alliances with none, I deem [one of] the essential principles of our government, and consequently [one of] those which ought to shape its administration."-Thomas Jefferson

The Great Depression- a perfect example of government mishandling. The bubble was first off, directly caused by regulation in the market and new powers given to banking institutions. Then, Hoover saw it fit to try to save us, and FDR did the same, only a little more so. All attempts failed and we went into WWII. In fact, we are now reaping some of the poison we created then. Fannie Mae was created then, as were the blocks in the savings and loan crisis.

Deficit spending- Our government found a new 'viable' way to create capital(dammit Keynes). National debts are never supposed to be permanent, but it this one was intended to do so.

WWII- The Pearl Harbor bombings were set up as a conspiracy to get us into world war. Also, unfair treatment of the Japanese through trade embargoes etc.

The Cold War- it began when the Allied nations were slicing Europe up. Also, take into account, the hack job we did in the Middle East, leading to many problems today.

So besides things occurring before 1950 that are unconstitutional, wrong, or otherwise against freedom, we have created greater problems for the future all the while making them greater into debt.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
lol, ok... go back to germany then.

I for one like the few rights remaining I have. *wink* *wink*

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Generally speaking "Freedom" is synonymous with self interest. Self interest is usually focused on selfishness. Most of the time, courtesy and manners are tools of manipulation towards selfish interest. People world wide are in such a condition. The indulgence, brainwashing and conditioning in the uSA has been worse than in most countries. The situations is one of conquest of the people, primarily the middle class, in order to facilitate false revolution. The situation in the uSA today is not unlike Germany leading to the Nazis. It's hardly an original condition. The bottom line is that people are getting what they want most of the time and most people just want to be left alone. From a long term point of view, that isn't really wrong, they the country may disappear as a result. Wrong will right itself for a time. The world can only be so corrupt and degraded before it would risk merging in the region below it. Likewise, it can only become so good. The world is not the home of the soul.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join