Prediction: Terrorist Activity Toward Cruise Ship?

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Disclaimer: I made sure to present my threat subject as a question, citing the obvious that my prediction is a question and definitely not a threat. (Can never be too careful in these terrorist-paranoid days we live in!)

I am an avid cruiser and have been fortunate enough to take multiple cruises a year, visiting almost every island in the southern, western, and eastern Caribbean. If you have never been on a cruise ship, you have to go on at least one trip so you can fully appreciate the magnitude and size of these huge ships.

Today's cruise ships have been constructed to be floating neighborhoods, zip codes, and towns. The average cruise ship has about 3,000 passengers and Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas can accommodate over 6,000 passengers.

Sounds like quite a target, eh?

2009 headlines included a great many pirate attacks of big ships, generally cargo. But if some terrorist cell really wanted to have a detrimental impact...why not target a cruise ship?

Cruise ship security can't defend or thwart an incoming attack. It would be entirely defenseless. And despite post 9-11 security measures, they can't restrict others on the high seas.

Just a prediction. But I also hope I'm so wrong too!

FYI:

Immediately after the terrorist attacks of September 11, cruise lines implemented what they call "Level 3" security measures, as outlined by the U.S. Coast Guard's "Security for Passenger Vessels and Passenger Terminals" regulations. These measures include:

# Screening of all passenger baggage, carry-on luggage, ship stores and cargo; intensified screening of passenger lists and passenger identification; close coordination with the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service and other federal agencies to ensure that any passengers or crew suspected of being on the INS "Prevent Departure" list are promptly reported to the federal authorities.

# Restricting access to any sensitive vessel areas, such as the bridge and the engine room.

# Implementing onboard security measures to deter unauthorized entry and illegal activity.

# Requiring all commercial vessels to give 96 hours notice before entering U.S. ports. Previously, ships had to give 24 hours' notice.

# Maintaining a 100-yard security zone around cruise ships.
www.cruisemates.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I shall start my reply with an appology for not having the facts...but I was watching TV, or listening to it while playing on this box...it was a news show that was on...the host and guest were talking about terrorism...I don't remember even if the guest was a politician or military man...nor what show, I know totally usesless. The point, the guest said he didn't know why terrorists weren't attacking cruise ships...they are very vulnerable and high profile, with many potential victoms.
Just so ya know, your not the only one considering the dangers. Hopefully those that want to strike fear in their foes will continue to overlook this easy target.

new topics

join