It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fears that World Cup could increase spread of HIV

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Fears that World Cup could increase spread of HIV

www.cnn.com

(CNN) -- Advocates for sex workers in South Africa have warned that this summer's World Cup could be a public health disaster.
With up to half a million football fans expected to visit South Africa for the World Cup, and up to half of South Africa's prostitutes carrying the HIV virus, there have been calls for the country to decriminalize prostitution to help tackle the spread of HIV.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

"And where there's demand there will be a supply," Harper told CNN. "It could be a potential recipe for disaster both for the clients and the sex workers," he added.

This is not new news to me - but the article is new and I feel it's important so I posted.

This could be bad, but any ramifications would be pretty hard to link to the world cup and quantify due to the nature of the problem - after the first couple of passed infections in the chain it will just be people that have caught AID's - not people that caught AID's from someone who slept with a south African prostitute.

People are going to go from all over the world and back to their home countries and without a doubt some will inevitably return infected.

Any thoughts? -

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
i guess my only thought is dont have sex with prostituteS?

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
If you play in horse manure you will always come out smelling like S**T....

Its their own fault if they catch HIV. It is common knowledge that Africa is plagued by it..

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

This isn't news for South Africa, well for anyone who has lived in South Africa, might be news for those PC's with blinders on. AIDS in SA is rampant, but it isn't just the sex trade workers. If you get raped there, you have a 1:1.00012 chance of getting AIDS (meaning 1 out of 12000 rapists won't have AIDS to give to you). The retrovirals they give you after you've been raped or contracted AIDS are little more than a placebo.

If you go to FIFA in South Africa, you do so at your own risk.

Cheers - Dave

new topics

top topics

join