It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Absinth - anyone ever drank that?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by KayEm
This stuff hits you like a ton of bricks, but it's not like being normally 'drunk'.

When I tried it, it enhanced the effect of the drink. It reminded me of when I was 16 and could get ratarsed on one pint. Very strange. And I didn't get a hangover either.
I'd definitely try it again though.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Never tried the stuff i heard that 1 shot of it is lethal.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I had 3 bottles of French Absinthe while in Japan. 2 were 55% alcohol and one was "premium" 60% alcohol. Tasted horrible (Ultra Intense Black Jellybeans/Licorice) and got me pretty lit. Moderation is key. If you let the alcohol overpower the Thujone/Wormwood, it's pretty much wasted.

The "Premium" gave me severe blackouts and vomitting (I don't blackout or vomit from hard liquor alone). I foolishly overdid it. It was a unique experience, and I would try it again (in moderation, sans the vomitting and blackouts) given the opportunity.

Erowid has some good information about it, from a scientific standpoint all the way through user experiences.

If you are looking for a "massive high" or even a "massive stone" this is NOT for you. It is very mellow and very subtle, and if you go in w/high expectations, I think you'll be disappointed. If you're open-minded and into new things and unique experiences, I say give it a chance.

Habitual use WILL cause short-term memory loss!!!

American-made or American marketed Absinthe does not contain Thujone. Absinthe is not regulated by the United States DEA, but thujone is regulated by the United States FDA. It is regarded as a poison not fit for human consumption. Legal info can be found here.

My understanding is possession is legal, sale is not. The only legal way I know of to get it into America is to bring it in yourself, in small quantities, and don't try to sale it once you're here. I've had a bottle checked out by customs, and I didn't catch any flak, but that was a coupla years ago. You may not even ship it into America as far as I know.

If you decide to make it yourself, please be aware of the laws regarding the distillation of alcohol (if you plan to make it alcoholic). These can also be found @ the above links.

Hope this helps, always be intimately familiar with anything you put into your body.

--J1M

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Absynth is a great drink, especially for artists. I drank a hell of alot whilst in spain, it's legal over there so I was on the 80% stuff. After a bottle and a half of that the effects are mind numbing, can be psycadelic too. Another way to consume it is to burn it with sugar, this way you get the full experience. It makes you go nuts!

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 09:07 AM
link   
any way of getting hold of it in the UK? i've done a few ludicrously large paintings going crazy with acrylic and knives on a canvas when nicely drunk.but if this stuff makes u slightly hallucinate too that would be interesting

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Used to drink it alot on a hot summer day in New Orleans.

Not sure what the big deal is. It's just a cool and refreshing drink IMO.

There are quicker ways to get smashed if ya ask me.

I put it in the same medicinal category as Jagermeister. Something the monk's didn't intend people to drink in mass quanitites but people do.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 09:24 AM
link   
hmm... im determined to not be much of a drinker anymore so i may steer clear of this thread. absynth sounded enchanting

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 09:31 AM
link   
A mate of mine managed to bring some of the good stuff back from Europe after a holiday last summer. Its hefty, but no worse than a lot of other high % stuff. What really hit hard was the heat and fumes, he got free glasses and that funky spoon they use to burn the sugar on (Like in that Jack the Ripper movie). But after you burn it the fumes and the heat really nail you more than the alcohol alone, its like drinking hot metho.

Certainly fun on the night, but not something I'd drink regularly.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 05:43 AM
link   
You can buy it in Chicago but not the wormwood bottled one ( It even has a pic of Van Gogh on it) Also you have to do the sugar to get a better taste. We drink it here(Berlin) once in a while and no one has gone crazy just a bit drunk.

<< 1   >>

join