It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does it bother anyone that there is more coverage on Lost airing on time than what the content of th

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
When I put State of the Union in my search engine the first 500 or so news articles seem to cover the fact that the show Lost may be preempted and the internet "uproar" around the potential preemption. Then a slew of stories when it was confirmed that it will air during it's original scheduled time.

i.e. below:
content.usatoday.com...
blogs.abcnews.com...
artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com...

Is this just another sign of the general disenfranchisement of the American people? The government has nothing to fear from a populace that would rather watch a TV show than hear what the President has to say, whether you believe in what is said or not.

Or is this just another sign that the 24 hour news cycle that we have created makes fluff stories like this major ones that are pushed to the forefront in order to fill time and gain advertising revenue by drawing in eyes with offbeat stories?

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by badmoviefan

Well obama is on tv more than Billy Mays(rip) and he just lies anyway so people are probably not to worried about missing him.He's like a bus another one will be along in a minute and it will be just the same.

By the way I will be watching the state of the union.Just trying to help get a handle on the apathy.

[edit on 8-1-2010 by genius/idoit]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
While TV Broadcasts are private companies that are going to do whatever will make them profit, I understand their choice they make. I disagree with it, but understand it.

On the other hand, the State of the Union is constitutionally mandated but up until recently (1947, Harry Truman) it wasn't televised. (damn forgot to finish my thought
)

Another note is, the president doesn't have to even address the nation. He just has to present it to Congress. Most of our presidents have delivered it in writing to Congress, rather than delivering it in person.

So really, the American people are spoiled into thinking that it must be televised and it must be given in a speech. From what I see, the State of the Union has become nothing other than another stump speech for presidents.

[edit on 8-1-2010 by ownbestenemy]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by badmoviefan

It is kind of sad that I personally would rather watch the long awaited Lost Premiere, than watch the POTUS read a speach someone else wrote off a teleprompter.

Now, if he was going to actually hold a press conference without a teleprompter and not be forewarned what questions he'd have to face, I wouldnt miss that !!

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Kind of a toss up, I think. Both shows being fiction and all, it's no wonder the upset. Of course one will have more of a comedic twist to it, so maybe that's where the real problem lies.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

I personally believe the President should go back to the times pre-Wilson and hand deliver the State of the Union without a speech. Make it public, but there is no need for the the fake State of the Union we have nowadays

top topics

join