It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Applies to Become Power Marketer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

The Internet search company, which consumes vast amounts of electricity to run the computers in its data centers, created a subsidiary last month called Google Energy. It then applied for approval from the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission to be allowed to buy and sell power much like utilities do.

Google said it did not have specific plans to become an energy trader and that its primary goal was to gain flexibility for buying more renewable energy for its power-hungry data centers.

If Google’s application is granted, the company would be able to sell any surplus power that results from these or other initiatives.
bits.blogs.nytimes.com...

I'm sure this would be a nice "green" thing for Google to do, considering how much power they require to operate. But surely this seems like a bad idea, no?

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I like Google.

And this seems like a good idea (negating the idea that Google takes over the world).

Lessen demand on "electricity", and raise it for renewable energy sources. A switch that needs to happen.

Also, no matter how profitable or not this action is, it sure is nice to see them doing it none the least.

Google is one of the bigger companies in todays world I respect (could just be because of my ignorance but I do not think so).

new topics

join