It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the World, or United States, About to Face a Massive Food Shortage?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
This past week, I have come across several radio shows and articles that speculate, forecast, and project a significant food crisis/shortage later this year. These reports have cited weather patterns/effects, governmental interventions, and supply/demand as reasons for this looming shortage.

The most recent was reported by UrbanSurvival.com:

With the caveat that the ALTA/SOTTC reports tend (by their very linguistic-dependent) nature to err on the side of grim and extreme, we nevertheless have our eyes watching for next weather systems and along with that the interesting possibilities that shutting down (even substantially delaying) Canadian and northern States grain operations would have on the global food supply.

Once again, I'd draw your attention to the continuing theme around encouraging people to plant whatever they can from heritage/heirloom plant stocks in order to build a personal buffer as best you can for what could be a scarcity of food later this year.

Conceptually, at the extreme end of contingencies, the planning framework that emerges revolves around delayed, or at least shrinking, harvests in 2010. With that could come what? Higher prices? Almost without doubt. What else? Food controls/rationing? If the PTB are struggling hard to maintain control, perhaps a staged event of some kind that would justify seizing control of food distribution wouldn't be out of the question.

At the 'mellow end' of the scale, delayed and slightly reduced harvests with limited food price impacts, substantial flooding and some belt-tightening, but within the ability of systemic recovery is the more probable.

Still, the prudent person, already beginning the opt-out process, would spend more time developing 'out of system' food and water alternatives to ensure self-preservation.
urbansurvival.com...

While a food crisis was unavoidable to some extent because of the abnormal weather and financial crisis, the total panic which will soon grip world agricultural markets is a creation of the USDA and its fictitious production estimates. If not for the USDA’s interference, food prices would have risen in the first half of 2009 in anticipation of the 2009/10 shortage. The United States Department of Agriculture has caused incalculable damage to the world economy by encouraging overconsumption of rapidly diminishing food supplies.

Once the 2010 Food Crisis starts, confidence in the US government will be shattered as a result of the USDA’s faulty estimates. The starvation and misery caused by higher food prices will also create a lot of anger . . .
www.homelandstupidity.us...

Is there any credence in these forecasts and projections?

[edit on 8-1-2010 by MOFreemason]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
You can only guess or speculate, but Lyndon LaRouche talked about total economic collapse and massive food crisis for years, decades even. He usually referred to it as a "impending modern dark age".

Don't have any reliable information on the possible cause of food crisis.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SassyCat
You can only guess or speculate, but Lyndon LaRouche talked about total economic collapse and massive food crisis for years, decades even. He usually referred to it as a "impending modern dark age".

Don't have any reliable information on the possible cause of food crisis.

I just found an interesting, yet long, YouTube vid of LaRouche speaking from November 11, 2009 covering topics you mentioned.

Thank you for mentioning and referring his name!

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Sure we are!!!I already see it in the area I live in. When you go to the local grocery store, take a good look at your grocer's shelves. They are not stocked the way they were even a couple of years ago, and typically, there isn't any backstock of what you are looking for.Whatever is on the shelf is what they have.

[edit on 8-1-2010 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Kerry Cassidy mentioned something about this on one of the Project Camelot interviews although she didnt expand on the point and came across as something of a throw away comment.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I'd err on the side of caution. I noticed that the USDA "all's well" reports didn't square with either their own map of emergency-declared counties or with on the ground farmers' reports. Rain and cold caused a late planting for many areas last year and rain and cold caused a lot of crop damage and poor harvests. Now we're looking at orange juice prices rising possibly 33% due to the extreme cold in Florida affecting the citrus crops.

I don't care if it's predicted or not. My own little brain is telling me that all is not right with the agricultural world.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
My wife and I intended to keep grocery advertisements from a year ago, so we can compare products and prices. Unfortunately, we did not keep track.

I have been reading a lot of articles speaking of a surge in food prices. I have difficulty determining if this so-called surge is do to a global food shortage or hyperinflation.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Not only are food stocks being affected by production/weather, many food wholesalers are reducing their orders in anticipation of a worsening of the economy.......Since very little of our food comes direct from the farm, the ordering habits of the wholesalers and chains will affect not only our supply, but also what the producers produce......I, for one, am stocking up for the perfect storm....

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I recently read something similar with some additional information on a Libertarian blog. We live in a farming area and I have an older uncle who still does some farming in Iowa. There have been many issues with the past fall's harvest. In some cases, moderate temperatures left a crop unripened for harvest. When they did ripen, some areas had so much rain they couldn't use their combines in the fields. Some farmers talked about harvesting right into January or finishing in early spring. It's not just about harvest either, as some crops are sown in the fall.

Last spring, heavy rains washed away some plantings and late freezes caused some farmers to have to resow.

Food is something that many people take for granted but when it comes to production, farming is largely a one shot deal.

Here's the link to the piece I read. The article itself has several embedded links.

Spring food crisis may trigger economic collapse

This site has reports over the course of the year from farmers on their crops and any issues they may have had. It's from the above linked story.

Agweb Crop comments

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
It is well on its way to becoming a more visable thing..i have noticed a good many things that are getting scarce in several stores here...

Better stock up folks or it could get real rough and very ugly...

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Imagine what would make this situation great for martial law. A long brutal winter in the great plains lasting into April or May. Then a spring of devestating tornados and record heat waves and cold snaps that will stun the environment there. Then in the summer there will be either serious floods or terrible drougts along with scorching heat. Then in the fall a very early record cold snap bringing snow in September to the middle plains. and a long hard freeze in mid to late september throught the food belt... Wouldn't this be a great reason to declare martial law? Well don't forget what that Russian professor predicted that there will be civil war in the spring to summer of 2010, great reason, a?

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
Well don't forget what that Russian professor predicted that there will be civil war in the spring to summer of 2010, great reason, a?

Yeah, more here: online.wsj.com...

But it's off topic really, afaik he never talked about food crisis or bad weather, he's an analyst not shaman after all

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
I always wondered, really, if that is why people are getting fat. Like, sometimes animals seem to KNOW things that they don't even know - they,by instinct, might act a certain way to prepare for a particularly hard winter or something.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   
We have similar reports here in the UK...

"People do not quite realise the scale of the issue," added Bevan. "This is one of the most serious problems that science has ever faced." In Britain the lives of hundreds of thousands of people will be threatened by food shortages. Across the globe, tens of millions – if not hundreds of millions – will be affected.

Source

For the past two or so years there have been numerous TV shows promoting "grow your own" and schools are creating small vegetable gardens in the playgrounds to teach the kids how to grow food.

It certainly makes you wonder.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Well I definitely appreciate others' input on this matter.

My family has been shelving, stocking, and setting aside food for the worse case scenarios. I can't lie, often times I feel quite foolish and overly-paranoid.

But, I would also much rather feel embarrassed/prepared than hungry and under-prepared.

new topics

top topics

join