It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spring food crisis may trigger economic collapse

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
There always is the possibility that this is just another scare tactic, However think about this for a moment,.. The last few years HAVE been real bad for farmers. Much of the reserve grain has been issued already. It would be naive to think this resource is untouchable. Besides what does it hurt to have a stock of food,.. nothing. Think about the scenario IF this comes to be,.. Katrina anyone?,.. I for one am stocked for a year for all of my family.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

I know that I am prepared. I have enough food for several months, and also non GM/non-hybrid seeds. Food you will always need, even when nothing happens I have food which I eat everyday, and buy replacements, and even some more to store for what could happen.

I also have alternative sources of energy, and in general I am as prepared as I can be. Don't forget about the possibility of having no electricity at all, and having no running water. I have bought and stored some inexpensive "combat bath towels" which can be used without water to take a quick "shower" if the worse happens, which I really hope it doesn't.

What other people decide to do is their choice.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

I am also prepared for no electricity, I fortunately live with well water, and have ability to get water regardless of power. Have a wood burner and live on lots of wooded land, plenty of wild game if needed.This year solar water heat is installed. I'd like some info on the None gm seeds, Where?

MBF

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I don't know about everybody else, but I had a bad crop year. When I sold my crop and put the money in the bank, it was less than most people make in a week. I talked to one farmer that made a worse peanut crop than I did. People around here made a good cotton crop, but you don't eat cotton.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

I bought sets of several thousand non hybrid/non GM seeds, they cost me together about $300 - $350 I can't remember exactly.

The thing is you plant these seeds, you get crops which give you more seeds, you store some of the new seeds and cook the rest, so on, and so forth.

GM seeds are genetically modified so that the seeds don't produce more seedlings, or the seeds won't grow into a plant.

So if a farmer buys GM seeds he gets a yield of food, but he won't get any seeds from that harvest, so he will have to buy more seeds from the GM seed producers....

Hybrid seeds are cross polinated with other species and because of this they may not produce plants with the identical qualities as the parent plants, which would mean that you might get some new harvests you did not want.

Non genetically Modified seeds, and non Hybrid seeds give you harvests and new seedlings so that you can store the new seedlings for next year's harvest. They also will produce plants/harvests with the identical qualities as the parent plant.

What I did to buy my seeds was to look online for the different producers of Non Gm, and non hybrid seeds, I compared the prices but also looked at the history of the producers to make my decision of who to buy them from.

You have for example this company, which I haven't tried.
www.survivalistseeds.com...

I have personally bought from the "Americansurvivalstore.com" But some of the seeds they sent me were inside small paper envelopes, and that is a real bad way to store seeds. They did put the names of the different seeds in each envelope, and they sent me a couple of CDs which explain how to plant the seeds, and at what time, etc.

Seeds need air when stoed, but you shouldn't store them near water, and you should put them inside a storage that would not allow water, or vapor inside.

I put the seeds they send me in paper envelopes inside plastic ziploc bags with double seals. I allowed air inside the bags but they are now sealed so no water vapor gets inside.

The other store I bought from, and which I recommend the most is "http://www.non-hybrid-seeds.com/"

They put their "fruit lover's pack", "medicine Pack" etc seeds inside paper envelopes with the name of the seeds, but they also put them inside completely sealed plastic bags. The regular vegetable seeds they put inside a hard plastic storage device which is completely sealed also.

I now have about 100,000-120,000 seeds of different varieties, from vegetables, to fruits, medicinal herbs, etc, etc.

You can buy just vegetable seeds for a year which are about 50,000 seeds for $99 from the last link i gave you. however, the last link/store didn't send me any cds, unless they are inside the hard plastic storage device with the other seeds.

The medicine, fruits, and other seeds come inside a completely sealed plastic bag, and they seem to have some written instructions, but i am not going to open the sealed bag to see.

[edit on 13-1-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by proteus33
well lets see 10 cases of ramen noodles 10 cases of pork n beans 24 cans to a case. 100 cans each of cream style corn , lima beans , le seur very early peas ,30 cans or hormel chilli, a fishing rod plenty of bait. a 308 with 200 rounds a 12 gauge with 100 riunds . i think i am pretty well stocked maybe buy some chicks a few baby rabbits and build a hen house and a rabbit hutch for some extra meat.

I recently have birds and rabbits in surburbia. It's quite a challenge.
pork and beans. beans and pork.
I like your post.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
On top of this, 2010 is the year AQ plans to hit a dozen US cities. That would be Katrina x 12.

Hope we don't send all our food supplies to Haiti and leave us unprepared at home. eek.

Sure is interesting living on the edge.

Oh, btw, canned tomatoes are on sale because of the recent Florida freeze, stock up.

[edit on 13-1-2010 by JJay55]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by MBF

Thank you for your input. i hope you have better luck next year.

BTW, do you buy GM seeds, or non GM non hybrid seeds for your harvests?

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by JJay55
On top of this, 2010 is the year AQ plans to hit a dozen US cities. That would be Katrina x 12.

That's what they are claiming. i hope it doesn't happen, although I know sooner or later there is going to be some ahole, or aholes who will do this.

As for what is happening in Florida, yeah my parents, and other relatives have been telling me about it.

I am living in Wyoming, and we are supposed to get a worse artic front starting tomorrow probably. That's last i heard.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
The Florida freeze will hurt the orange juice market. They pick and produce in large quantities so frozen concentrate will be more readily available than fresh for awhile. Prices will go up.
Strawberries are already on sale too. But these aren't essential fruits.
Tomatoes are the other crop that was damaged. They picked and processed those too. Florida isn't the only supplier. California is big in produce and they are running out of water.

I just bought some seeds online. I have my garden plot picked out for Spring, hope it gets here soon.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Last years weather in NZ was extreme records of highs and lows drought here in the north trying to get a crop this year also (organic). Their has been a few posts about this on ATS, and a worldwide push for bigger crops, with no success.

It was a bit over a year ago we had food riots around the world these went off the radar after the drop in fuel prices gave some relief. The world food storage used to be three months supply which has taken a hammering and we are no where near that now.

The weather doing damage there is not good you guys grow a lot of food
sorry to hear this, it looks like the world stores are going to take a hammering. I've been offering suggestions on how to grow more food naturally get a bit of coverage in local papers and such, made a video even suggested a way of growing for bio fuel and not competing with food for resources.

I'm not one for arguing our limitations my understanding is we have everything we need to support a world population growing 3% per year and doing this naturally. Means we would have to do some work however.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peter Brake
It was a bit over a year ago we had food riots around the world these went off the radar after the drop in fuel prices gave some relief. The world food storage used to be three months supply which has taken a hammering and we are no where near that now.

The riots around the world were because of the GREEN taxes that had been implemented around most of the world and which sent up the prices of everything, from food, to gas.

Even regular people, truckers around the world in places like Spain, the UK, etc were also protesting because the prices of fuel had increased so much because of the green taxes that they could not pay for their fuel.

Poor people around the world were also suffering because of this, which is what incited the worldwide riots.

The elites are planning on doing it again it seems, and this time they want to make new laws, and new police forces to stop people from rioting.

[edit on 13-1-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   

The riots around the world was because of the GREEN taxes that had been implemented around most of the world and which sent up the prices of everything, from food, to gas.

The petrol taxes in NZ are a fixed percentage that increased as the petrol price increased (as it is fixed) which does seem mean as the government gets a bigger take for no reason other than overseas cartels want more cash.

The petrol prices did go up from the producers and the speculators, I don't have any examples of any green taxes at that time. At the end though food prices did increase with the increased fuel price and decreased when that crashed. What I am alluding too is that food riots came with increased price and supply and demand will likely cause the same.

Another one not interested in any answers.

MBF

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Thanks ElectricUniverse. I have used GM seeds in the past, but I haven't used them in the last few years.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I've read that we'll have approximately two months of food shortages this year starting around August. This assumes consumption follows the same trend. If prices rise drastically before then, the crisis could actually be averted. It's been said that if everyone in the world ate like the average American, we'd need four earths to support us all. My point is that rising food prices may force many families to consume less. That being said, I'm still selling my truck in a month to stock up on a years worth of food for the immediate family. Better safe than sorry.

[edit on 2-2-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
The weather had ALWAYS been unpredictable since earth began. Ancient mankind had been aware of that. Thus they learn to keep stocks of food in times of bad harvests.

So too does modern human civil authorities keep stock supplies of food. It isnt going to run out. Rather, those stocks will rot if kept too long. Furthermore, most crops are not localized in one location on Earth, but spread to several other regions. What bad weather one nation ecounters does not mean another state or nation at another geographical location suffers the same.

The prices may rise, but do not forget, crops are perishable. If it is held back too long to get a better price, it perishes quickly. There is only so much time a fast buck can be made by farmers and the middle men.

There is enough food on Earth to feed mankind several times over. Crops are new modified to give better yields and hold better nutritional value. Land usage are wisely maximised. Fish are reared and harvested rather than to depend on natural fishing, stocks of which environmentalists claim are depleted.

It is only selfishness and greed that is keeping it hoarded up, or fears stoked to push up prices. Let a neutral auditor organisation not affiliated to Corporations or who plays climategate scandal games check the world stocks, and you will realize that is more than enough and the rises had not been justifiable.

When oil shot thru the roof at $147 a barrel, food prices rosed and blamed it on oil. Now that oil had dropped to $70 a barrel, had the price for cakes and bread dropped? Nope. Greed and play up fears is being acted out. Once again, mankind is being screwed by those who practise greed religiously. They have no conscience, as millions starve around the world, while driving their brand new lamborgini.

[edit on 1-2-2010 by SeekerofTruth101]

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
oh no were doomed again!!!!

america has tons of free space, if the entire country really was going to get taht hungry, we can grow more food, its as simple as that.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
The weather had ALWAYS been unpredictable since earth began. Ancient mankind had been aware of that. Thus they learn to keep stocks of food in times of bad harvests.

So too does modern human civil authorities keep stock supplies of food. It isnt going to run out. Rather, those stocks will rot if kept too long. Furthermore, most crops are not localized in one location on Earth, but spread to several other regions. What bad weather one nation encounters does not mean another state or nation at another geographical location suffers the same.

The prices may rise, but do not forget, crops are perishable. If it is held back too long to get a better price, it perishes quickly. There is only so much time a fast buck can be made by farmers and the middle men.

There is enough food on Earth to feed mankind several times over. Crops are new modified to give better yields and hold better nutritional value. Land usage are wisely maximised.

Good common sense finally. There have been widespread and localized bad weather periods that ave accounted for massive population diminishments as far back ans we can look. Even animal life forms were susceptible to calamitous natural circumstances.

The major impetus of the rise of agriculture and trade was to decrease the possibility of starvation. But it never completely disappears and whole civilizations like the Mays have been wiped out - largely due to deforestation and poor utilization of arable land.

Early in the 20th Century ten million in Russia and Ukraine starved due to poor planning by the new Communist regime. Similar events in China, and right now in North Korea, Zimbabwe, Somalia, Yemen.

When a country increases it populations by millions in the span of a few decades it also has to accomodate the increased demand for food. Something not being done, particularly in the Middle East and Africa.

Hunger is rarely reported on in the media. No sensation and too depressing. But very real. It is the reason behind a lot more political extremism than people care to admit.

2010 with a combination of inhospitable weather, many poor countries exhausting their credit with food producing sources will produce a series of crises unprecedented. Some of the food will be exported as opposed to going to wast, but much will be held back to maintain prices.

This is the sort of thing the UN should be co-ordinating. But as an organization rife with corruption and self-interest, they actually do little to alleviate suffering and starvation worldwide.

Tragically food providing and distribution aren't as immensely profitable or sexy like oil, weapons, technology, entertainment, etc. So little attention given by the public and politicians - or reporting on them.

Hopefully that will change and soon.

M

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Throwing money at starving people isn't a solution. Why aren't we sharing technology instead? Why does the US send so much foreign aid???? Can't we stop, aren't we suppose to be paying off our own debt?
And these efforts like "we are the world" only prolongs starvation.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join