It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immigration Legalization would boost U.S. economy, study says

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
12 million illegale immigrants are going to be legalized with a pen and they think it would boost the US economy? Well if it was not apparent before, it will soon be, cause the people in charge are not thinking in realistic terms.
You have 12 million workers who broke the law to get into the country, so I would say there needs to be a penalty for that, but lets skip the law and law suits that will follow, or have been broken, and get to the good stuff.
Illegale immirgrants work for cash, and do not pay into the tax system, except for when they purchase items, (Sales Tax). Most of the money they make is sent back to their country of origin. And most of them are paid by the hour, but not at the federal wage rate, rather it is below min wage. The system of such, also means that there is no insurance.
So they legalize 12 million workers, and care to guess what will happen? Prices will skyrocket, and there will be millions more on unemployment or out starving, cause they can not get hired at this time. Not many in washington consider the cost of business, or what all goes into running a busness. 80% of business cost is labor. From paying a person, to the different taxes that go into the system, and that cost is passed onto the consumer.
Then there are the families that those who are here are going to want to bring over to be with them, after all they are here and legal immigrants, from the very young to the elderly. This is a diseaster in the making.
I say secure the borders, send those who are here illegally home, telling them when they can come in through the front door, and legally, then they will be welcome. But to sneak into the country at night, to avoid the authorities and to break the federal laws that we all have to follow is just wrong.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig
So they legalize 12 million workers, and care to guess what will happen? Prices will skyrocket, and there will be millions more on unemployment or out starving, cause they can not get hired at this time.

Precisely! I mean it's just an idiotic premise, to claim it'll be fine and dandy.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
It makes sense to legalize immigration, in saying that I am Irish in Ireland and can't get a job because all the Nigerians and Polish people have taken all the jobs as they accept lower pay rates. Ironic ehh?

Let us not forget that America was full of Native Americans, then everyone in Europe etc just traveled there and claimed land, they themselves were illegal immigrants.

The entire "Illegal Immigration" is a complete and utter divide and conquer tactic. In my eyes, Earth is my planet, and it is all mine as it is all yours.

Wherever I may roam, no fences should be seen or acknowledged as this is our planet. Its all childish nonsense, a lot of us here were born out of time I think. People that think like myself have an advanced way of thinking. I think we would belong in a time maybe a few thousand years from now. The world is not ready for peace, even though people like me want it. The world is not ready to pull the fences down, even though people like me want it.

We were born out of sync. Until then, let the weak argue amongst themselves, life is just a ride.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
To me it seems like they are betting everything on health care reform, amnesty and carbon trading. All three are potential trillion dollar bets and I would hate to think what will happen if they are wrong and the bets don't pay off.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Jobs data show economy at critical crossroads

There's a major hurdle to the U.S. economy's recovery: The mismatch between the skills held by the millions of people who are losing jobs and the expertise needed for the few jobs that are being created.

The nation lost 53,000 construction jobs during December, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported Friday, the lion's share of the net 85,000 jobs lost last month. It also shed 27,000 manufacturing jobs. Taken together, those two sectors have shed about 3.7 million jobs since the recession began in December of 2007.

“The mismatch is there. People with certain kinds of skills that may not be readily transferable to other parts of the economy … continue to be hit really hard in this downturn,”

In contrast, the number of people who have been unemployed for six months or more reached 6.1 million in December, and now account for about 40 percent of unemployed Americans.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Wouldn't legalizing 12million illegal immigrants magnify the above problem?

For the record I agree with the poster who said you should be able to go wherever you want. But 12million all at one shot makes zero sense to me.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
((snip))

But 12million all at one shot makes zero sense to me.

Maybe its all BS? Hype? Media disinformation? Did they count the people individually? Is it to anger the Americans? Cause stress and discomfort?

I think so.

Your right, it makes zero sense to me too.

EDIT: Typo fixed

[edit on 8/1/2010 by the_denv]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by the_denv

How is the welfare, disbility, medicare, medicaid and SS in Ireland, legalized 12 million people and more than half will leach the system on social programs without even paying a penny of tax on wages, that is what is been happening in the US for decades with and without the help of illegals.

And this amnesty is suppoused to boost the economy? it doesn't take a genious to understand how the great America works when it comes to feebies at the expenses of the working class, you know the ones that don't qualify for any programs but still have to pay for those that doesn't work or work and still need welfare to feed their families because they still are under poverty level even with a job

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

UUUuuuhmmmm - you do not have to be a US citizen to join and serve in the US military.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
You also do not have to be a US citizen to receive free health care, housing, food, education, and law enforcement.

The upside to being a US citizen is what again?

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I agree with you, but I dont understand what your saying. I agree with you. Im puzzled

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig
12 million illegale immigrants are going to be legalized with a pen and they think it would boost the US economy? Well if it was not apparent before, it will soon be, cause the people in charge are not thinking in realistic terms.
You have 12 million workers who broke the law to get into the country, so I would say there needs to be a penalty for that, but lets skip the law and law suits that will follow, or have been broken, and get to the good stuff.
Illegale immirgrants work for cash, and do not pay into the tax system, except for when they purchase items, (Sales Tax). Most of the money they make is sent back to their country of origin. And most of them are paid by the hour, but not at the federal wage rate, rather it is below min wage. The system of such, also means that there is no insurance.
So they legalize 12 million workers, and care to guess what will happen? Prices will skyrocket, and there will be millions more on unemployment or out starving, cause they can not get hired at this time. Not many in washington consider the cost of business, or what all goes into running a busness. 80% of business cost is labor. From paying a person, to the different taxes that go into the system, and that cost is passed onto the consumer.
Then there are the families that those who are here are going to want to bring over to be with them, after all they are here and legal immigrants, from the very young to the elderly. This is a diseaster in the making.
I say secure the borders, send those who are here illegally home, telling them when they can come in through the front door, and legally, then they will be welcome. But to sneak into the country at night, to avoid the authorities and to break the federal laws that we all have to follow is just wrong.

Not all illegals work for cash. Many of the illegals steal people's identities and thus use other people's social security numbers, etc to work jobs. Many U.S. citizens find themselves in trouble with the police and IRS because of what the illegal alien invaders do.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Come on people, read BETWEEN the lines... The Democrats, knowing that they are going to take a thorough drubbing in November, need to boost their voting block. They also know that people are literally dying for jobs. Soooooo... telling them that granting amnesty will create jobs serves their purpose.

What the Democrats are TOO STUPID to understand is that nearly EVERYTHING that they are doing, a HUGE majority of Americans oppose! They will pay dearly in November and for many more elections to come!

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

Totally. It's simple maths. Add more workers for less jobs = wages going down.

Not to mention it's way more than 12 millions illegals... more like 20-30 millions...

Even if we gave them amnesty right now, in a few years we would have the same problem with another few millions illegals wanting to be legal...

And Mexico is crying that illegals are not made legal and anytime we want to enforce border security... while at the same time, Mexico kills anyone trying to get in illegally on it's southern border.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join