It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immigration Legalization would boost U.S. economy, study says

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Immigration Legalization would boost U.S. economy, study says

www.sfgate.com

Legalizing the status of the roughly 12 million undocumented immigrants living in America would create jobs, increase wages and boost the sagging U.S. economy, according to a study released Thursday.

Hinojosa-Ojeda found that citizenship and flexible limits on legal immigration would serve future labor demands and boost wages for native-born workers.

legalizing undocumented immigrants already in the United States could add $1.5 trillion to the gross domestic product over the next 10 years.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
hahaha, I know you guys would love me for this thread

President Obama has urged Congress to pass immigration reform legislation this year that provides a path to citizenship for the undocumented. Republicans have opposed citizenship as an amnesty for those who broke the law and entered the country illegally.

Repubs have always been against this actually.

Well this is good as there is a shortage of qualified candidates here and a surplus of available jobs.
just kidding.

But honestly, I think the U.S. is the new mexico

Soon countries like Russia, India, China, Japan, and others will outsource their cheap labour to the North America and they will have the high-paying jobs.

Why? Because the dept. of Education ruined education here and while kids are playing Xbox and PS3 in other countries they are studying like there is no tomorrow.
And this relevant to the article as well, because allowing 12 million illegal immigrants citizenship will only increase the unemployement rate.

So why do this?
Because Obama is a neocon and Neocons want a welfare state, this will just make U.S. even more of a welfare state.

www.sfgate.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Well if we are to repeat history I will say that now we are in deeper Crap after Reagan gave amnesty to illegals back in the 80s, now how can this time around is going to help the economy?

Because if I remember very clear the economic boost of the 90s were do to the growing credit cars and loans that were given freely.

Now time to pay the Piper.

So how this round of amnesty is going to fix the economy? oh yeah this will make them legal recipient of Obamacare and private insurance to make profits.

[edit on 8-1-2010 by marg6043]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I'm not so sure.

Scarcity drives up prices, not surplus. Add/eliminate 12,000,000 potential job candidates and re-calculate the effect on wages.

My guess is that adding 12,000,000 reduces scarcity and places a downward influence on wages.

Eliminate 12,000,000 and penalize indiscriminate employers, and "documented" workers become more precious, no?

This "study" has as many fundamental flaws as the "study" that supported claims that 60% of bkcys were attributable to medical bills. Equally bogus.

Deny ignorance.

jw

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Sorry, I have to laugh...

Isn't it obvious that that would help them economically? Thinking of it in an egoistic way, it would get the US a lot of workers and more people to pay rent. On the other hand, for the immigrants, I mean to say, they would have jobs and would be able to feed their families.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
here's another theory
more military recruiting?

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Unless is mandatory I believe people have better time sitting at home waiting for the due welfare checks.

Sorry to say this but it makes no sense but to corporate America and the decline of wages in the nation.

Right now unemployment keeps rising so where this 12 million people will be working without leaching the system, as we already have plenty doing just that.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Maybe i;m missing something, but how on earth would legalizing 12 million illegal aliens create jobs?

-E-

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Perhaps is not jobs what the government wants then to find but a new wave of credit lines for small business as already struggling Americans are full of debt, and to help buy into the increasing mortgage market downfall.

Second Consecutive Year for Record Foreclosure Filings

A total of 3.9 million notices were sent to homeowners in default, topping 2008’s previous record total of 3.2 million filings

They need at least 3.9 million people to take over the mortgage default this year.

Nearly one-third of American homeowners, or 16 million, are currently underwater on their mortgages. That is an early sign that 2010 could be yet another disastrous year for the already beleaguered housing market.

I bet among those 16 millions were Reagan's amnesty recipients.

www.economyincrisis.org...

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
This bull..12 million undocumtned illegals to be legalized after steeling from you and me through the system? thier ARE no more jobs, not high paying ones, like before. SOunds like obama is faovring the corporations over cheap slave labor, so the CEO's can keep making hundreds of millions, scrwing over his own citizens* so illigal immigrants would get a pat on the back and amnestya nd jobs, and US citizens get the homeless shelter, suicide and no jobs?
sounds VERY fishy to me, like this is devious, VERY devious...

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

totally agree, the is BULL. how about they seal the borders and cancel all the work visas and we'll see how many jobs open up. that should keep construction busy. my study took 2 seconds i think it's a better solution.

[edit on 8-1-2010 by notsympl]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

I THINK it is because even if they apply for welfare,food stamps etc. they will only get it if they are disabled and what not.
the rest would be productive taxpayer wage slaves.

of course nowadays depression and alcoholism are considered disabilities so it's not too hard to get on ssi.
I was drunk and sad before it was cool,nobody paid me for it.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
It just seems to me, the system, the FED obama government* want us lower to middle class to live in tiny apartment buildins ontop of eachother, in a sense, while houses would be for rich and upper class people only. the point im trying ot make is allt hat land the government coould tkae away n have form us. Make illegals legal, since they will work for half the pay, get rid of us the citizens* somethings going on indeed. corporations moving overseas, no joobs being created. 12 million for jobs that arnt thier???
the only answer i can think of is he himself is an illegal alien, which i know has been disproved, but whyd oes he have so much favortism to them, and not us??

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
ummm, just looking through this thread briefly, would this illegal immigrants stay here if they had to be TAXED???? Wouldn't they just jump ship/eerr border and high tail it out of here? No more free ride for them? How would this help us at all?

They snuck in, they can sneak right back out....

A_L

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
its common in the construction buisness, for the conttractor to go around and look for ilelgals, good with building things and working hard, huddled at a street corner and pick the ones he wants. VEry common around where i live. The police sseem to like them too, but i'll get pulled over over stupid things, and havnt done anything illegal.
its time to re claim this beutiful country for US taxpayers and help eachother out, and to banish corporate america* turn it back into WE the people, not the land of being selfish and greed.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Nothing elevates my blood pressure like hearing about the miracles the influx of unskilled immigrants will supposedly bring to this country of ours!

That's complete insult to anybody's intelligence. Who can spell "depressed wages"?

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
Make illegals legal, since they will work for half the pay, get rid of us the citizens*

How would they work for half the pay?
They wouldn't, if they are taxed they wouldn't.
if they are taxed it's impossible.

the only answer i can think of is he himself is an illegal alien, which i know has been disproved, but whyd oes he have so much favortism to them, and not us??

What you are talking about has been going on way before Obama.
Take Israel for example, for how many decades has america financed every finger they move?

Also sending jobs overseas has been happening since a long time now
U.S. govt. creates too many regulations as well that makes it too difficult for companies to keep jobs here, like sarbanes oxley

its time to re claim this beutiful country for US taxpayers and help eachother out, and to banish corporate america* turn it back into WE the people, not the land of being selfish and greed.

In away illegals are model americans as they don't pay income tax

Forcing you to pay income tax is illegal and finances all the things govt. shouldn't be doing in the first place.

America = Forced Labor

[edit on 8-1-2010 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
It seemed to work in the EU. Imagine the savings on border patrol and ICE spending.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I'm not sure about their logic. Wouldn't an increase in the supply of workers decrease wages rather than increase them? The rules of supply and demand would suggest they are wrong in their predictions.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by 4ortunate1
I'm not sure about their logic. Wouldn't an increase in the supply of workers decrease wages rather than increase them? The rules of supply and demand would suggest they are wrong in their predictions.

They are not just in error, this is a deception.
Enough said.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join