It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nanci Pelosi - Catholic Without a Clue

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Speaker of the House Nanci Pelosi has, for years, been an embarrasment for Catholics. The real Catholics that is, the ones who know and understand what the Church teaches.

In a recent interview with Newsweek she has, once again, left many Catholics scratching their heads wondering " How can this woman possibly identify herself as Catholic with a strait face?" (Botox?)

California Catholic Daily

“She never gets one Catholic fact right”
Pelosi admits she’s been counseled by archbishop and lobbied by hierarchy – but won’t change her mind on abortion, other moral issues

In an interview with Newsweek’s Eleanor Clift published on the magazine’s website on Dec. 21 and in the print edition dated today, Pelosi said, “I have some concerns about the church's position respecting a woman's right to choose. I have some concerns about the church's position on gay rights. I am a practicing Catholic, although they're probably not too happy about that. But it is my faith. I practically mourn this difference of opinion because I feel what I was raised to believe is consistent with what I profess, and that is that we are all endowed with a free will and a responsibility to answer for our actions. And that women should have that opportunity to exercise their free will.”

Asked Clift: “Is it difficult for you to reconcile your faith with the role you have in public life?” Pelosi responded, “You know, I had five children in six years. The day I brought my fifth baby home, that week my daughter turned 6. So I appreciate and value all that they want to talk about in terms of family and the rest. When I speak to my archbishop in San Francisco and his role is to try to change my mind on the subject, well then he is exercising his pastoral duty to me as one of his flock. When they call me on the phone here to talk about, or come to see me about an issue, that's a different story. Then they are advocates, and I am a public official, and I have a different responsibility.”

Pelosi's undestanding of "free will" seems more in sync with Aliester Crowly’s "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law."

Luckily, Elisabeth Lev took her to task on this issue in an article for Politics Daily;

Politics Daily (Warning SCARY PHOTO of Pelosi - could give children nightmares)

Pelosi's Catholic-lite construct here suggests that free will means the ability to judge what is right and wrong, with each person's conscience being the final arbiter. Coherency in her concept of Catholic teaching would mean legalizing rape and murder and allowing each person to choose and then take responsibility for his or her own actions. More than the far left liberal that many claim her to be, Pelosi seems to favor anarchy.

Had Pelosi chosen to do a minimum of research before speaking, she might have consulted the users' manual for the Catholic Church, the Catechism, which some American bishop or other must have sent her as a stocking-stuffer this year. There our aspiring theologian would have found a different definition. Freedom, according to the Catholic Church, (CCC article 3) is the person's ability to choose between good and evil. He can choose to do something good or something evil but he cannot choose to make evil good. To take responsibility for one's actions is to recognize that one has chosen evil and to accept the consequences both in this world and the next.

The position of the Catholic Church is that abortion, the taking of an innocent human life, is intrinsically evil.

As a Catholic myself, I find Pelosi's continued identification of herself as Catholic to be very disturbing. She has crossed the Church on virtually every issue dealing with faith and morality yet continues to claim, "I am a practicing Catholic, although they're probably not too happy about that. But it is MY faith.". (emphasis added)

She must think she owns the Church.

God help us all.

[edit on 8-1-2010 by FortAnthem]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

How can this woman possibly identify herself as Catholic with a strait face?" (Botox?)

First,

Second, she's able to identify herself as Catholic because Catholicism for many is just a cultural thing. It's almost like a nationality or something to some. That is why many people who don't even practice the Catholic faith anymore still identify themselves as Catholic. I'd think she probably says she's a practicing Catholic because she goes to mass on Easter and Christmas; so she doesn't commit a mortal sin.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by octotom

To bad Bishops don't excommunicate anymore. It would keep charlatans like Pelosi out and make the teachings of the Church clear for those within the faith.

Life Site News

Bishop Vasa Affirms Church’s Use of Excommunication

BAKER, Oregon, January 7, 2010 (LifeSiteNews.com) - Bishop Robert Vasa of Baker Oregon has written a column in the diocesan Catholic newspaper defending the Catholic Church’s teaching on and use of excommunication.

The article by the outspoken and deeply pro-life bishop aims to show that the practice is motivated by mercy and charity, and that the bishops who resort to its use are not “tyrannical power mongers,” contrary to the typical mainstream media treatment of the subject.

Rather, he explains that the first purpose of excommunication is for the good of the person being excommunicated. “It is intended primarily as a means of getting the person who is in grave error to recognize the depth of his error and repent,” says Vasa.

Vasa says that the declaration itself does not cause the excommunication, but rather, by excommunicating somebody, the bishop “only declares that the person is excommunicated by virtue of the person’s own actions. The actions and words, contrary to faith and morals, are what excommunicate.”

Edit to add: If ANYONE can identify themself as Catholic because of cultural identity regardless of their personal belief, the word looses all meaning.

[edit on 8-1-2010 by FortAnthem]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I wonder if she is in conflict with her husband. He is Jewish and the woman is usually expected to convert.
I guess she is Catholic enough in the reproduction department. Was she married in the Catholic Church?
Any one know?
Funny how she has all these kids and still backs abortion?

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Bah, humbug. She is far from a liberal. She has shown herself as a corporatist stooge. Furthermore, it does not matter what HER views are, she is supposed to represent the views of her constituents, that is why she is a REPRESENTATIVE. If she got voted in, on a platform of pro choice...then that attitude must be what was important to most of her voters.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
A congressmans job is not to get voted in and then do what they think is right, their job is to get voted in and represent the will of their constituents. NOT that this is what i think pelosi does. I think she just panders to the powerful and wealthy in the hopes that she will get broken off her slice of the pie. The majority of people wanted true reform on healthcare, but she has stood in the way of that. The majority wanted inquiry into impeachment, but she stood in the way of that. The majority want an end to hostilities and more of that money spent here at home....and she stands in the way of that as well. A classic politician. She got a big bonus from the banking lobbyists to vote for the bailout, and im sure shes getting kickers from the pharmeceutical lobby and the oil lobby as well. Probably arms manufacturers and companies like KBR and halliburton too.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Kinda thought this thread would fizzle as no one really
knows who or what Nancy is. Scary

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donny 4 million

I never expected this thread to go too far. It just gave me an outlet to vent over Pelosi's mangled understanding of Catholic teachings.

Yes, it is scary how few people know who the speaker of the house is.

What's even scarier is the pic of her from the Politics Daily article. THAT could make you loose your lunch.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

Originally posted by Donny 4 million

I never expected this thread to go too far. It just gave me an outlet to vent over Pelosi's mangled understanding of Catholic teachings.

Yes, it is scary how few people know who the speaker of the house is.

What's even scarier is the pic of her from the Politics Daily article. THAT could make you loose your lunch.

Dig deeper Fort.
It is way more disturbing than that. Looks can't kill. Background skeletons can.
Nancy needs a good belated examination. Obama is getting one.
Religion is just a name for manipulation and greed IMO.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Just as an update: Pelosi's Archbishop Correctd Her "Fundamental Misconceptions" on Catholic Faith in a column in the Catholic San Francisco newspaper Wednesday.

In response, Niederauer said that "embodied in that statement are some fundamental misconceptions about Catholic teaching on human freedom" - misconceptions he noted "are widespread both within the Catholic community and beyond."

"Human freedom does not legitimate bad moral choices, nor does it justify a stance that all moral choices are good if they are free: 'The exercise of freedom does not imply a right to say or do everything,'" wrote the archbishop, citing the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

"It is entirely incompatible with Catholic teaching to conclude that our freedom of will justifies choices that are radically contrary to the Gospel — racism, infidelity, abortion, theft," he continued.

"Freedom of will is the capacity to act with moral responsibility; it is not the ability to determine arbitrarily what constitutes moral right."

"While we deeply respect the freedom of our fellow citizens," Niederauer concluded, "we nevertheless are profoundly convinced that free will cannot be cited as justification for society to allow moral choices that strike at the most fundamental rights of others. Such a choice is abortion, which constitutes the taking of innocent human life, and cannot be justified by any Catholic notion of freedom."

Life Site News

Good to se a Catholic Archbishop actually doing his job for once.

top topics

join