It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thanks For Being Fat America

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana

Now, about bread... lol I'd like to see someone make and eat bread with no salt. I'll pass though.

Learn to make sourdough, its the healthiest bread around and needs absolutely no salt or additives to make it taste good. All's you need is some flour and water to make the starter, then make a good proof sponge and throw it in the oven, steamer, however you cook and bam you'll have the best bread you ever tasted!

Still not sure on the health benefits or negatives of sodium chloride but a little bit here and there shouldn't be too bad, as long as you have a 4/1 ratio of potassium to sodium you should be good.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
While I've read up on nutrition and health, it's certainly not my forte. So, just to be clear, are you saying that with a reduction of insulin fat would be reduced?

Absolutely!

Any type 1 diabetic (can't produce insulin) will tell you that when they were diagnosed they were experiencing extreme weight loss (regardless of caloric consumption), they pissed a lot and were overwhelmed with thirst.

Anorexics were once treated with insulin injections, which increased hunger and weight gain (fat, to be precise).

Insulin is an anabolic hormone; meaning, it causes organ/tissue build up. Not only will it make you store fat but it will also contribute heavily to muscle growth, just ask a bodybuilder.

In terms of fat metabolism, insulin activates Lipoprotein Lipase (LPL) in the fat cells, the gatekeeper of fat cells. Essentially, insulin, through the stimulus of LPL, will lock fat in the fat cells and while "shoveling" more fatty acids in.

So, yes. The negative stiumuls of insulin, and positive stimulus of glucagon, will allow fat to enter AND exit the adipocytes allowing fat to enter the bloodstream to be burned for fuel, resulting in weight loss.

-Dev

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
......Insulin is the difference between fat mobilization and fat storage.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
i should apply rename this thread
'
(the first page talks about obesity, and every page after that is nonsense arguing)

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by l neXus l

See the last two posts.......

-Dev

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
It's true that the BMI is outdated... but lets be honest with ourselves here folks, I've been to America

How about quit blaming "large portions" and genetics and put the damn fork down.

The problem with America is that so many of them are obese now that a tipping point in enabling has been reached. No one wants to make eachother feel bad so they tell eachother it's not their fault that they eat 8000 calories a day.

It's no one's fault but your own, man up.

But hey, if you're fine with being fat, that's totally fine, I can respect that. It's only those who whine and moan about how it's everyone's fault but their own while they sit there and eat a triple cheese burger.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieOctopus
How about quit blaming "large portions" and genetics and put the damn fork down.

Really? Put the fork down?

What about childhood obesity? Do you think those kids want to be fat? Do you think it's their fault?

What about overweight infants?

Chew on this: Do you think Yao Ming is nearly eight feet tall because he ate so much growing up; or did he/does he eat so much because he's nearly eight feet tall?

Growing vertically (tall) and horizontally (fat) are not so different, in that neither is caused by overconsuming.

-Dev

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieOctopus
It's true that the BMI is outdated... but lets be honest with ourselves here folks, I've been to America

The problem with America is that so many of them are obese now that a tipping point in enabling has been reached. No one wants to make eachother feel bad so they tell eachother it's not their fault that they eat 8000 calories a day.

It's no one's fault but your own, man up.

But hey, if you're fine with being fat, that's totally fine, I can respect that. It's only those who whine and moan about how it's everyone's fault but their own while they sit there and eat a triple cheese burger.

Amen Brother!

People need to step up and take responsibility for their own choices! Stop blaming your problems on everyone else when your the one who put that piece of fat in your mouth. Good Lord.

I think we are stupid for trying to fight obesity. We think that we can change our society. What happened to us all uniting together and taking responsibility for what we do.

Lets say I have lung cancer because I smoked all my life. Why can't the government give me a butt load of money and help since I'm suffering? BECAUSE I CHOSE TO SMOKE. Stop giving my tax payer money to other people...jeez! I want my money to keep my safe, secure, and alive!

It's funny how people have interpreted the Declaration of Independence to mean they are guaranteed happiness. You are guaranteed PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS, not happiness. Everyone has the change. The government can't give you happiness - it's futile to even try.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Thanks for this thread. Obesity also increases our risk of cardiovascular diseases, so it definitely puts a crimp in our lifespan. The comments on serving size reminded me of a recent survey of paintings of The Last Supper, done over the last 2,000 years...as the eras in which the art was created get nearer to the present day, the plate sizes get steadily bigger, no joke! This study compared the plate size in each painting to the size of the people's heads in that painting. Here is a link to a discussion of that study on the WebMD site:

www.webmd.com...

And in Dan Brown's novel The DaVinci Code, he points out the tiny size of the wine cups on the table at The Last Supper...it's true, those things are truly small. My family and I moved to the home of a deceased relative who lived into her 90s...many of the drinking glasses in her kitchen cupboards are only 4 ounces in size! What a trip. She also left us 3 sets of dishes: The ones handed down from her mother look to have been manufactured around 1915, with 4-ounce teacups and 9-inch dinner plates. A slightly newer set of dishes has 9 and 1/2 inch dinner plates, and a set of dishes made around 1985 includes 4-ounce teacups still, but has 10 and 1/2 inch wide dinner plates! Conspiracy!

I have also seen a study online somewhere done by a member of the American Dietetic Association (ADA). The experimenters provided a cold creamy dessert at an ADA annual meeting banquet, two evenings in a row. For the first dessert, they set out small bowls, and for the second evening, same dessert but big bowls...results? Every one of the dietitians ate a much larger portion of the second meal's dessert! When the study was published in the ADA Journal, everyone was pretty stunned. Fact: Until you get hip to serving size, it's what they call a subliminal cue and will trip you up every time.

I agree with the ATS member who suggests reading the book by Neal Barnard, MD on food addiction. There's another and more recent book by David Kessler, MD, former FDA Commissioner here in the US, which proves that food manufacturers know how to addict people to foods...it's the fat/salt/sugar combo that gets ya. In order to fight food addiction strategies, it's very important to start reading some of these books to understand the psychological and physical mechanisms involved. For more information on the Kessler book, here is my earlier thread that discusses it:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

In addition to proving his case on deliberate addiction tactics of the food industry, Kessler found out that the U.S. has an overproduction of food, due to government subsidies for the farm industry...that's really why the U.S. food production industry doesn't care if we get fat, as long as someone keeps eating what they have over-produced.

More on serving size: The late Ray Kroc (the McDonald's restaurant kingpin) wanted to sell more french fries, but claimed that customers didn't want to come back to the restaurant counter to order more fries because they were aware that gluttony is, well, one of the 7 deadly sins. One of his vice-presidents suggested they test market larger portions of french fries, and before you could say Ronald McDonald the Super Size was off and running. It took Morgan Spurlock and his documentary film Super-Size Me to change that.

[edit on 4/23/2010 by Uphill]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uphill
Thanks for this thread. Obesity also increases our risk of cardiovascular diseases, so it definitely puts a crimp in our lifespan.

Do you think being "over-fat" increases cardiovascular disease; or wouldn't it seem more likely that there is a common cause? You can add diabetes and many other chronic conditions that are strongly correlated.

Also, just to touch on the fat/sugar/salt "addiction" problem. Take sugar out of the equation (and any other easily digestible carb) and you eliminate the problems associated with said addiction (obesity, hypertension, over-eating, etc.).

-Dev

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Has this thread been somewhat inspired by our Jamie Oliver comming to you shores???

You guys should hear him out... He is really passionate and cares what people put in their bodies... Over here in the UK he got the laws changed for school dinners... He also taught a whole town how to cook good healthy meals and got whole families eating around the dinner table again instead of the TV...

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Ohh man I love your title. First of all, WOW haters, I mean even if the article is a little misleading we all know that American slothe is the WORST in the world. Not only that but I would be willing to bet that most of you are fat fat fat.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

And yet his attempts still failed in the end i believe, various sections of UK society can't cook and eating fast food is just a daily part of their life. It's a sad fact but a fact none the less, crazy when you actually think about it... I also remember watching that show and being absolutely floored with parents handing their children junk food through the school gates while grinning like bloody idiots and scoffing at the tasty,fresh and healthy meals jamie had made for the kids. That's the sort of attitude we are trying to combat, no doubt the same is happening in the US...probably even worse over there.

[edit on 23-4-2010 by Solomons]

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join