It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thanks For Being Fat America

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

it cost me about 50-60 dollars a week to eat 3000-4500 cals of the highest quality organic fruits, vegetables and nuts you can buy.

I do happen to live in a very blessed place with a farmers market pretty much every day tho.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by l neXus l

You know why obesity has increased so much over the years?People
spend too much time in front of tv's,computers and video games!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd
So....a total of 560 calories in one meal (two Peanut butter sandwiches). Sounds good. Except you're looking at 44g of carbs per meal. 3 meals a day and you've got 1680 calories. That would net you a negative energy balance.

Plus you'd be eating 4 slices of bread per meal. That's hardly a healthy diet.

I was giving an example lunch, not an entire diet, but please don't forget the apple. I suppose the point was that you can do it, and that was using more expensive "natural" or "organic" items.

And how many families will actually eat the same thing for every meal, everyday? They don't live (on average) on the same foods at every meal. I mean, let's be realistic here. Wouldn't your point, by comparison, be moot as well?

Again, it was one example meal. You can vary it by using leftover chicken for chicken salad, tuna salad, etc. The main point is less processing is better generally.

And do you seriously think pasta is healthy (pre-packaged or homemade)?

Pasta is not unhealthy, nor is any other type of meal in particular if the portion sizes aren't huge or lop-sided. No one here suggests eating 4 baked potatoes for a meal.

Well, since you brought it up, let's talk about it. What about salt makes it one of the biggest factors?

-Dev

Salts are, from what I can tell, the number one additive to foods for obvious reasons. We have gotten used to salty foods (not a big deal when working on a farm) and salty drinks (sports drinks, soda, etc).

There is little need for salt to be added as there is enough natural salt in our foods naturally.

I add salt and enjoy salt, but I do not have a weight issue so it's really up to the age, activity, and health of the individual.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
In biology 101, I was taught, Water goes where salt lives.
increase the salt, and you increase the water weight.

Now, about bread... lol I'd like to see someone make and eat bread with no salt. I'll pass though.

I've forgot my salt before and thrown entire loaves out to the chickens to pay for it. Salt not only is used for flavor, but the bread does not rise right or develop gluten right without it.

Fair enough, if you like bread with salt, go for it. I add salt to the bread I make as well (it is proper bread).

Some people like it though, just like some folks (for reasons unknown to me) some folks like chemical sweeteners. That stuff is nasty poison.

Also, when you are adding up your cost for your lasagne, you're leaving out meat and mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Now, I can live without the meat, but almost any lasagna recipe you'll see has more than just ricotta cheese in it! That's really not that fair a cost comparison, IMO.

I do not use meat in my lasagna as it's an unneeded expense. You can add meat though if you want, but I'd limit it to 1/4 -1/2 lbs of ground beef.

You can make 4 lasagnas with 1 bag of mozzarella. If you want to add the expense, go for it. It isn't very pricey so it wouldn't add a lot to the cost.

I can make it for less than 4 dollars, so I think it's fair enough.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

I know what you're talking about.I have a breathing problem and this
medication I was on, to clear up a lung infection, caused me to gain
12 lbs. in 4 days.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

People don't want to cook,or were never taught how.I have spent most
of my life cooking.I started cooking at age 5 and I will be 55 this year.I
taught my daughter to cook.I can make soup out of almost anything.Very
inportant skills for the future.Being able to cook with little supplies.

People don't eat enough fruits,vegetables and drink WATER! I like to make
large pots of vegetable soup and live off it for days.I can make vegetable soup in different ways,so you don't get burned out on it.Even opening up
a can of fruitcocktail and slicing up a banana is better for you then eating
a piece of pie or cake.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

I'd almost bet it was corticosteriods.
My dad had a cough and they gave him that - he gained about 20 pounds in 10 days or so.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I used to live in an extremely polluted city with a lot of very obese people. The thing is, the body locks toxins away in fat so that they won't harm the body - at least until the liver can process them. It's a way the body protects itself. Where I live now is not as polluted, & there are a lot fewer obese people. I think people should start taking that into account before judging people for being really fat. They might not be able to help it. They won't lose the weight as long as they're being exposed to toxins.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro

I was giving an example lunch, not an entire diet, but please don't forget the apple. I suppose the point was that you can do it, and that was using more expensive "natural" or "organic" items.

I was giving an example of a college kid's diet. And if you use anything less than "natural" then you're looking at a less healthy meal.

Pasta is not unhealthy, nor is any other type of meal in particular if the portion sizes aren't huge or lop-sided.

Pasta is indeed unhealthy, especially the meal you gave as an example that excludes meat. You really shouldn't focuse on total calories and portion sizes; it's a moot point. You realize that you're saying caloric quantity is more important than quality.....

No one here suggests eating 4 baked potatoes for a meal.

Obesity is not caused by overeating. Growing vertically and growing horizontally are very similar physiologically and have little to do with total calories consumed (except extreme caloric restriction).

I add salt and enjoy salt, but I do not have a weight issue so it's really up to the age, activity, and health of the individual.

Salt will add weight, not fat. Sodium causes water retention, therefore, water weight. The cool thing is, insulin causes sodium retention. So if you're consuming so many carbohydrates and spiking insulin at every meal then you'll be retaining plenty of water. And a nice little side effect of water retention is hypertension. (note: insulin also causes magnesium to be secreted, which exacerbates the hypertension problem.)

-Dev

[edit on 11-1-2010 by DevolutionEvolvd]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I just found out that I'm obese, according to the BMI. Who knew. Here I thought that I merely had a genetically-predetermined " back"

I'm 6'2, and weight 232. When I played football in college, I weighted 225. That was 30 years ago. I work out, start the morning with Tai Chi, work hard and eat sensibly. Yes, I could drop a few pounds if I wanted to get "cut" and see the once glorious washboard abs. pffffffffft. Who am I kidding.

I think the BMI might actually reflect a unit of measure that begins with "bowel".

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
im from america and i only weigh 135 lbs if u call that fat theni would hate to see your skinny

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
You know in the 50's people were eating a lot of red meat, dairy, etc. Foods they tell us are bad for us now. And I remember my parents being in pretty good physical shape. I think some people are genetically predisposed to being heavy. But the biggest excuse I hear for obesity is I don't have the time to eat right because I am so busy. If your that busy you should be burning all sorts of lurid calories. I myself subscribe to the age old axiom, "Sound Body, Sound MInd."

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I think the biggest problem is really portion control. People just need to eat a little less.

How many servings are there in a pint of Ice Cream? Most think one. I believe it's about 12.

When you get one of those cool deli sandwiches, how much meat do you need? I bet if I removed about half of it, you wouldn't notice - plus you might be able to fit it into your mouth.

How many times have you seen a fast food restaurant advertising for "2 sandwiches for the price of one"? How many times have you said to yourself, "Wow, that's a deal. I could eat only one of them, and give one of them to someone else!"? I bet never. It's "Ooh, I could eat two for the price of one."

"Double Quarterpounder"? Oh, you mean HALF A POUND of meat, with lots of cheese, in a sugary bun. For lunch - plus lots of french fries and a HUGE soda (bet you ordered the 'diet' one, huh?).

I was in a restaurant in PA where they have "All you can eat Ribeye steak.
A 12 oz. steak, plus veggies, and mashed potatoes isn't enough for dinner?

I love steaks, but anything bigger than 16 oz (that's a POUND) is just being silly. You don't need it to be any bigger.

For most, a hamburger and fries and a soda would be a lunch (without getting into the health issues here). Rarely do people stop there.

I'm a big guy - 6'4" and 225lbs. I am not fat by any means. I can eat huge amounts when I'm in the right mood. I choose to eat smaller portions.
I eat steaks. I eat carbs. I eat junk food sometimes. I eat salads. I love my vegetables. I just don't eat enormous amounts of food.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badgered1
I think the biggest problem is really portion control. People just need to eat a little less.

Maybe a little. But you have to understand that overeating is typically a symptom of obesity.

I was in a restaurant in PA where they have "All you can eat Ribeye steak.
A 12 oz. steak, plus veggies, and mashed potatoes isn't enough for dinner?

Think about this. The only reason an establisment can get away (financially) with serving an all you can eat steak buffet is because fat and protein provide satiety quicker and longer. Not many people will "overeat" on steak.

How many people are so full that they can't make room for that extra bite of steak, but they can make room for apple pie and ice cream......

I eat steaks. I eat carbs. I eat junk food sometimes. I eat salads. I love my vegetables. I just don't eat enormous amounts of food.

You can eat enormous amounts of foods if you eat the right foods.

-Dev

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by unicorn1
Well people I know who went to America say the meals are HUGE. Is that true?

Hmm yeah, not sure, but I went to an american resturant here in the uk, and I got like a giant plate of food haha.

The healthiest way to eat is like 5 small portions a day instead of 3 big portions.

Also if people like to spend all day by the tv, sitting down, on the computer etc.

They can still spend just 20 mins doing hard cardio, which will help keep you fit. Just 20 mins! Easy.

Like this girl here. www.Bodyrock.tv...

[edit on 11-1-2010 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   

I was giving an example of a college kid's diet. And if you use anything less than "natural" then you're looking at a less healthy meal.

Agreed, although "natural" is a dubious title in American marketing.

Pasta is indeed unhealthy, especially the meal you gave as an example that excludes meat. You really shouldn't focuse on total calories and portion sizes; it's a moot point. You realize that you're saying caloric quantity is more important than quality.....

I said nothing of calories, literally. Portion sizes are not a moot point.

While I don't take total caloric intake and portion sizes as direct indicators of health or healthiness, they can not be wholely dismissed either, especially in the more extreme examples.

Simply, I am not saying quantity over quality.

Obesity is not caused by overeating. Growing vertically and growing horizontally are very similar physiologically and have little to do with total calories consumed (except extreme caloric restriction).

There are many causes for obesity, although overeating would be a lower cause and certainly an effect in a more strong degree.

Salt will add weight, not fat. Sodium causes water retention, therefore, water weight. The cool thing is, insulin causes sodium retention. So if you're consuming so many carbohydrates and spiking insulin at every meal then you'll be retaining plenty of water. And a nice little side effect of water retention is hypertension. (note: insulin also causes magnesium to be secreted, which exacerbates the hypertension problem.)

-Dev

[edit on 11-1-2010 by DevolutionEvolvd]

Of course. Was I saying anything to the contrary? No.

I think the point of our conversation has been lost in minutia. Americans are fat for a variety of reasons, but the toxicity of our over-processed foods is certainly a sizable factor.

If you purchase food wisely, you can eat well for less money than most people think is possible.

My family of 5 eat well (3 meals a day plus 2 small snacks) for around $175-200 a month.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by l neXus l
im not slagging the People, im slagging America for the food they allow! the FDA allows way to many things in their foods that contribute to diseases, like diabiteis cancer and obesity

get rid of the
HFCS
get rid of the MSG

I guess you're the type to think people need big governments to protect them. People are free to leave the salt and MSG and other products on the shelf if they want. I've consumed MSG and HFCS and alcohol and other things some people consider unhealthy, and here I am within a good weight range. In fact I jog on a regular basis, weather permitting. So, I'm proof that these things you speak of as unhealthy do not cause obesity, and I don't have cancer either.

It's the lifestyle that makes a person fat or not. It is a choice, albeit a difficult one for some people. Some people are addicted to drugs or alcohol, and some are addicted to food; it makes them feel better to eat so they eat a lot and a lot of the 'wrong' foods. Still, the point is that there is no substances in foods that cause obesity. It's simply food itself and a desire to eat it.

Weird how outlandish some of the posts are on ATS...

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro

Simply, I am not saying quantity over quality.

Sorry for assuming and misunderstanding.

I think the point of our conversation has been lost in minutia.

Perhaps......it happens though. ADD?

Americans are fat for a variety of reasons......

There are many causes for obesity.

I guess since the thread is on obesity, we can have a chat about that.

Yes, there are many reasons why Americans are obese, but there is one prominate cause.

Obesity is a disease of chronic fat deposition. Pretty simple. And what regulates fat deposition? Hormones; predominately, Insulin.

For the majority of people, the negative stimulus of insulin will cause fat to flow freely into/out of the cells and will net a loss of weight.

-Dev

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by glitchinmymatrix

Originally posted by l neXus l
im not slagging the People, im slagging America for the food they allow! the FDA allows way to many things in their foods that contribute to diseases, like diabiteis cancer and obesity

get rid of the
HFCS
get rid of the MSG

I guess you're the type to think people need big governments to protect them. People are free to leave the salt and MSG and other products on the shelf if they want. I've consumed MSG and HFCS and alcohol and other things some people consider unhealthy, and here I am within a good weight range. In fact I jog on a regular basis, weather permitting. So, I'm proof that these things you speak of as unhealthy do not cause obesity, and I don't have cancer either.

It's the lifestyle that makes a person fat or not. It is a choice, albeit a difficult one for some people. Some people are addicted to drugs or alcohol, and some are addicted to food; it makes them feel better to eat so they eat a lot and a lot of the 'wrong' foods. Still, the point is that there is no substances in foods that cause obesity. It's simply food itself and a desire to eat it.

Weird how outlandish some of the posts are on ATS...

how very wrong you are indeed friend, i Despise the idea of Big Government, i understand that people have a choice to Eat what foods they want, im criticizing the fact that despite laws the government still hides what they really put in their food,

its weird how some of the People on ATS dont know what they are talking about

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Sorry for assuming and misunderstanding.

No worries.

Perhaps......it happens though. ADD?

lol, perhaps. My wife tells me I'm the king of rabbit trails.

I guess since the thread is on obesity, we can have a chat about that.

Yes, there are many reasons why Americans are obese, but there is one prominent cause.

Obesity is a disease of chronic fat deposition. Pretty simple. And what regulates fat deposition? Hormones; predominately, Insulin.

For the majority of people, the negative stimulus of insulin will cause fat to flow freely into/out of the cells and will net a loss of weight.

-Dev

While I've read up on nutrition and health, it's certainly not my forte. So, just to be clear, are you saying that with a reduction of insulin fat would be reduced?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join