Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Thanks For Being Fat America

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
According to the 'official' numbers .. I should weigh 159lbs. I'm 6'3" and weigh 310. I haven't weighed anywhere close to 159 since I was 13/14 yrs old. It would be impossible for me to weigh 159lbs. now.

Weight and Health should be based on the individual and not something that can be determined by creating "Specific Height/Weight Ratio' averages for all people.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by l neXus l
sorry dude, im a little wishy washy sometimes, dont know what im trying to say and when i say it, it comes out worng

That's why I say -really think about your topic before ya post it. Do some research, gather your argument and when ya got it all together, post a thread.

This belongs in the BTS Rant Forum, because, basically, it is just a rant. Maybe even Facebook Status worthy. But, let's keep people thinking here on ATS...you included.

Sorry I've been kinda harsh, but, WE have to bring ATS back to the top and this thread doesn't do it. Sorry man. Keep posting, but, post with the intention of bringing the thread/topic forward.

Right on,
Cuhail

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
America is a fat nation. If others want to be morbidly obese, then so be it. I could care less if they kill themselves, no more than I care if folks drink themselves to death or overdose on drugs.

However, making fat children is child abuse and saying I should foot the bill for their poor health is wrong.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8
reply to post by l neXus l

America isn't fat, it's just big boned

Or "under-tall"

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
America is a fat nation.

And the others are following in our footsteps as they adopt our western diet.

However, making fat children is child abuse

Why? Even if they're following the recommendations of health professionals and authorities?

People think that exercising more and/or eating less (and limiting fat) will keep you thin. Well, it's not working.......the concept is bunk.

-Dev

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deny Arrogance

Who worship little statues of a fat guy.

Do you hate Buddha as well?

What are you talking about?

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
According to that I ;should weigh in the vicinity of 170 lbs, or so... Yeah, right...

I am 6' 4" and weigh right around 275 lbs., but I can not by any reasonable criteria be called fat... I haven't weighed 170 lbs since middle school...

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
load of crap, Britain is full of fat people, personal experience tells me that.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Algebra
reply to post by hadriana

Yeah there are genetic causes for obesity but you cant put that down to all the people who are fat. The causes i mentioned would make up a bigger percentage.

That wasn't my point AT ALL. My point is, to spell it out for you, that it is NOT wise to assume you know the cause of someone else's weight problem and make judgments about their morals based solely on what you see.

(I got a chuckle out of my own freudian spelling slip there...role...roll. haha)

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd

And the others are following in our footsteps as they adopt our western diet.

And?

Why? Even if they're following the recommendations of health professionals and authorities?

People think that exercising more and/or eating less (and limiting fat) will keep you thin. Well, it's not working.......the concept is bunk.

-Dev

If you think the vast majority of morbidly obese people and those who have children of the same condition are following proper lifestyle choices, or even remotely close, I think you'd be hard pressed to show evidence of that.

I'd suggest that it's quite the opposite.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Not to sure when all the personality talk came in and nowhere in the OP did I see anything about personality (unless I missed it)

While the graph may be outdated, we are the fattest country by far. Take a walk around your local Wal-Mart and pay attention (for once in your life) and observe the fat that walks around. Why? Because in addition to fat, we are lazy and would rather go to McD's or Burger King then cook something good. We sit around and watch TV and play World of Warcraft for hours and hours on end instead of going out and doing something (other then going to McD's)
Don't get me wrong, I love my Call Of Duty on PS3 but damn, go out and do something. I play for about an hour or so before I go to bed a few nights a week. The rest of the time (i am not working that is) I end up chasing my flipped RC nitro cars or exploring the woods or something that involves some type of physical activity. My house is near a school bus stop...when I am home and I see the kids getting off the bus; they are all fat little kids...little pudgeballs.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by KrazyJethro

Easy now. You're confusing cause and effect.

Of course obese people are sedentary and over-consume; that's a side-effect of obesity/fat deposition.

-Dev

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
In the short time that I have been on ATS I find it hard to believe the blinkered views of some people posting on here. Do NOT be embarrassed by the actions of you fellow countrymen and women for their inability to say no to another family sized bucket at KFC.

A recent report in the UK highlighted the fact that Brits are the fattest people in Europe and I am far from being suprised. BMI's are far from being an accurate barometer but the evidence is clear to see. I have been to the US on a number of occasions and there is a large percentage of overweight there just as there is in Great Britain.

The main two causes a the saturation of cheap fast food outlets throughout every village, town and city meaning that people will use these for convenience, taste and cost. The biggest issue in the UK is lazy parenting which means that more and more children are starting life having been raised on a diet of junk food.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
The Uk is just as bad when it comes to obese folks. It all comes down to eating too much crappy junk food and exercising too little. The tedious genetic excuse that many people use only applies to a very small percentage of people and when it does they are usually VERY obese. Genetics obviously play a small role in how everyone gains weight but with a good diet and exercise you can counter that quite easily.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by unicorn1
Well people I know who went to America say the meals are HUGE. Is that true?

Yes. Bring a doggy bag and you can eat for a week on the lefovers. The portion size would be fine ifyou were mining coal manually or following a pair of horses behind a plow. But now we are stuck in cubicles like veal calves allowed two ten minute breaks and one quick,(besides fast food what could you eat?) 30 minute lunch.

Anyone besides me getting a TO SERVE MAN flashback

[edit on 9-1-2010 by ..5..]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Personally, i'm sick of the word 'FAT' i think it lumps all overweight/obese/morbidly obese people into one category. I'm sick of people thinking every single overweight person is fat because they consume food in excess. I've been anorexic & i've been obese. Atm i'm healthy, but pregnant so i'm enjoying eating cheeses and milks and proper meals that in the past my eating disorders have stopped me from eating. Both weight extremes for me were due to extreme depression & medication. I've been called every name under the sun and it's horrible. Some people have no tact and have no idea what it feels like to be called lazy and slack when you actually do work out daily and eat better then most.

People also like to forget that genetics & medical issues are a massive cause of weight gain. PCOS in women can make them gain weight very very fast. Plus, i mentioned in a previous thread, that from what i've read the majority of overweight people in america tend to be of the poorer persuasion (not all of course) and we all know how sugar, carb, and saturated fat laden some of the cheaper foods are. i know in australia it's cheaper to get a bottle of coke for $1.50 at coles then a bottle of 100% juice at $5.50 per bottle (as an example) White breads and pastas and rice are all cheap staples but will make you pack on weight like no tomorrow if you aren't healthy enough or can't physically work out. (and in some cases too lazy to)

I can't blame the food companies completley because at the end of the day we are all responsible for what we put in our mouths, but they make it damn hard to make the right choices, especially when you think you have got it right and are eating well, only to find out there are so many hidden additives you might as well get the full fat version!

They really need to start nutrition classes in early school, just so kids know the basics ie Kilojoules, just because the can says NO SUGAR, doesnt mean it's good for you, just because it's LOW FAT doesnt mean it wont rot your teeth, energy in = energy out etc

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!

End rant.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
We are the nation with all the food. Get over it cry babies. lol

Oh, and what we need to stop that is more government intervention into the lives of private citizens. lol

I love ATS. It gives me a giggle.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by zerotime]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
The Uk is just as bad when it comes to obese folks. It all comes down to eating too much crappy junk food and exercising too little. The tedious genetic excuse that many people use only applies to a very small percentage of people and when it does they are usually VERY obese. Genetics obviously play a small role in how everyone gains weight but with a good diet and exercise you can counter that quite easily.

Did I not say that the UK was considered that fattest nation in Europe? The problem the UK and US suffer from is that there is incessant need for food, which in turn, puts and unnatural strain on the eco-system. The seas are being drained of fish, GM food is being produced to keep up with the demand, cattle is being pumped full of steroids to make them larger, etc, etc.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I have absolutely no sympathy for people being fat who got fat from their own choices (eg. eating McDonalds every day). I know some people have obese genes or other problems out of their own control which cause them to be fat, but if you are fat because you are lazy and don't want to do any work like the rest of us, TOO BAD FOR YOU!

It's an American problem, part of our consumerist society.

You eat bad, you get fat. End of story.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Jibblin

Well, it one way it could be seen as an Illuminati plan of keeping down the the uneducted, slothful masses whilst filling their coffers with cash (via the produce and healthcare) and is certainly an effective stealth-style weapon.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join