It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeing Laser Demonstrator Program Accepts Oshkosh Military Truck and Enters Fabrication Phase

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Boeing Laser Demonstrator Program Accepts Oshkosh Military Truck and Enters Fabrication Phase

www.defpro.com

Boeing [NYSE: BA] announced today that it has accepted the Oshkosh Defense military truck that will carry a Boeing-built laser beam control system for the U.S. Army's High Energy Laser Technology Demonstrator (HEL TD) program.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Hmmmm laser on a truck? What do you use this puppy for? Lasing down rockets? Airplanes? People? What awesome technology! New, innovative ways to wipe out more personnel and enemy equipment! Why, at this rate, combustion-based projectiles will be phased out by 2025!

Sad, but awesome!

Cuhail

www.defpro.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Well of course OP is aware that all the current officialy recognised development is being done on anti missile (read anti nuke/chemical/biological warhead) defense lazers, rather than anti personel lazers, which frankly would be massive overkill. It would make far more sense for ground based lazers to be used against armoured and flying threats, just simply because the power consumption of such a massive lazer just couldnt be justified to wipe out mere men with.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Of course it's for airbourne threats, I'd assume. We also know that if this is out on market as a possible future piece of US equipment, that smaller, personal weapons are probably being developed as well that we haven't gotten to hear about yet.

Bring on the Future with it's multiple applications to kill more with greater accuracy and wider destruction.

I wish there was a picture or two of it, I'd love to tackle it as a model.

Cuhail

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Like you, I would have to assume that this would be deployed to counter incoming rockets etc.

I'm curious about things like rate of target acquisition and fire. How long does that take or home many targets can a laser take on in a real combat situation .

This is the solid state laser so I assume that it can fire as fast as it can be charged up.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
The article in the OP states that the laser will give personnel 'Speed of light capability' to counter 'rocket, artillery and mortar projectiles'. Sounds like it would be a pretty handy battlefield addition, if it is effective.

[edit on 8-1-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
This technology has been demonstrated with stationary laser platforms.
Here is one of several live fire demonstration videos on YouTube:
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuhail

This is a very interesting article and the first thing I thought about when reading it and looking at the image was that this weapons system was designed to be used against extremely fast moving targets rather than perceived terrorists.

What better way to shoot down a UFO than to use a weapons system that needs no time from muzzle to target, no worries about trajectory or windage and a single press of that fire button = direct hit every time.

Is there something our government is not telling us, are our ground wars a cover and a distraction for a more secret war?

Yeah I know I keep dropping my brains on the floor from my wide open skull but I am going to go on gut instinct and refer to this technology as AUFOA (Anti UFO Artillery).

I so hope I am wrong

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeJaguar67
reply to post by Cuhail

This is a very interesting article and the first thing I thought about when reading it and looking at the image was that this weapons system was designed to be used against extremely fast moving targets rather than perceived terrorists.

What better way to shoot down a UFO than to use a weapons system that needs no time from muzzle to target, no worries about trajectory or windage and a single press of that fire button = direct hit every time.

Is there something our government is not telling us, are our ground wars a cover and a distraction for a more secret war?

Yeah I know I keep dropping my brains on the floor from my wide open skull but I am going to go on gut instinct and refer to this technology as AUFOA (Anti UFO Artillery).

I so hope I am wrong

Actually, as far as speculation goes, that seems perfectly reasonable...just speculation on a theory to begin with, so house of cards problem, but who knows.

Seems ultimately designed for high speed objects overall

as the ops said...sad, but awesome. (I want me my personal gatling lazer gun!)

new topics

top topics

join