It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sri Lanka video 'appears authentic'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Sri Lanka video 'appears authentic'

www.channel4.com

An investigation commissioned for the United Nations says that a video broadcast on Channel 4 News showing Sri Lankan soldiers apparently executing naked Tamils 'appears to be authentic'. Jonathan Miller reports.

The video, which contains extremely disturbing images, was obtained by the group Journalists for Democracy in Sri Lanka and it was shown on 25 August.

It provoked an angry reaction from Sri Lankan army spokesman Brigadier Udaya Nanayakkara, who said the footage was a fabrication designed to discredit security forces.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.dailymail.co.uk
ads.indiatimes.com
www.innercitypress.com
www.timesonline.co.uk

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
This story was broken by Channel 4 news (The only decent T.V media in the U.K) back in August of 2009 www.channel4.com...

This is quite shocking evidence of war crimes commited by the Sri Lankan Army in defeating the Tamil Tigers. The U.N has analysed the video obtained by Channel 4 news and verified it as authentic and a war crimes probe has been called for by Philip Alston, the Special Rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions. www.un.org...

Obviously the Sri Lankan Governemnt have denied this on several occasions along with other accused war crimes. They cite that the footage is not consistant with a Mobile Phone. This excerpt is from the U.N report.

''Peter Diaczuk, an expert in firearms evidence, concluded that the recoil, movement of the weapon and the shooter, and the gases expelled from the muzzle in both apparent shootings were consistent with firing live ammunition, and not with shooting blank cartridges.

Daniel Spitz, a prominent forensic pathologist, found that the footage appeared authentic, especially with respect to the two individuals who are shown being shot in the head at close range. He found that the body reaction, movement, and blood evidence was entirely consistent with what would be expected in such shootings.

Jeff Spivack, an expert in forensic video analysis, found no evidence of breaks in continuity in the video, no additional video layers, and no evidence of image manipulation''

Sri Lanka does not appear to be in too bad a situation though politically as it has China in its corner which prevented any charges or censure being issued back in May due to its veto power on any resolution.

Do you think these killings were real?
Is it the tip of the iceberg?
Are these killings an acceptable tool in defeating a 'terrorist' organization?
What can be done, if anything, to bring those responsible to justice?

Any other thoughts are welcome

www.channel4.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I must warn you if you are going to watch the video of the executions, that it is quite shocking in its graphic detail.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Anyone have any views on this? The Sri Lankan Civil War is one of the lesser known conflicts and i thought it might be interesting to confront it. To be honest i know little about it and would be intrigued to here from members with more knowledge on the region.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I saw the video but you cant really see faces of anyone...It could just be the opposing side dressed as their enemies

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
It looks like they have taken it down. The page says they are 'undertaking essential system maintenance'.

Got any other sources?

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

www.youtube.com...

This is the Channel 4 Broadcast of it. The report shows some of the video and answers some questions on any descrepencies or doubts on the authenticity of the video.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I havent seen the video , and due to the care I have for my family , Im not going to access it until I get a computer of my own again ( mine died, and yes sympathy is appreciated) , but I tell you this. If the story is true, then Im loosing hope for this freakin planet.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by BingeBob

Yes i suppose it could. But the U.N special investigator seems to be pretty certian it is was it is shown to be. Sri Lankan Soldiers executing surrendered Tamil Tiger fighters.

Would there be any other reason for the U.N to have a vendetta against Sri Lanka?

top topics

join