It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bomb explodes in Northern Ireland

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

So what is it these people are fighting/terrorizing for?

Elaborate on "these people" do you know who did it, if so, provide proof please

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Bit of a history lesson...

The IRA wasnt always considered a terrorist group and was supported by many nations in their fight for independence from the brits.

There was the instance in which a possible miscommunication resulted in improper explosive placement caused civilian deaths in the late 90's

I feel bad for the irish...They had good reason to fight. The U.S. fought on the same principals but did so at an easier time in history. Ireland as its own island off of europe should be ruled by the irish. It was merely the english push for domination that kept them in Ireland.

26+6=1 If youre happy suckling on the teat of the english crown then move there.

On the other hand, this blowing up of policemen and a soldier here and there is trivial and does nothing for the cause...I just dont think its possible for anyone to get enough support to launch an effective campaign against anyone nowadays.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by BingeBob

The IRA wasnt always considered a terrorist group and was supported by many nations in their fight for independence from the brits.

think you need to learn your history- which nation did not consider the IRA to be terrorist in 1971 for example?

There was the instance in which a possible miscommunication resulted in improper explosive placement caused civilian deaths in the late 90's

What the f, I live here and have lost loved ones at the hands of thos scum filth provo lot- "the instance", THE instance, try a wee visit to the graveyards of Ulster you know nothing cretin

I feel bad for the irish...They had good reason to fight.

I'd have good reason to fight you with a comment like that- I feel bad for the people the IRA stabbed, shot and burnt, like the protestant pensioners at La Mon or the baby disembowelled on the Shankill

The U.S. fought on the same principals but did so at an easier time in history. Ireland as its own island off of europe should be ruled by the irish. It was merely the english push for domination that kept them in Ireland.

Total and utter BALLS

26+6=1 If youre happy suckling on the teat of the english crown then move there.

Your maths is up the left, same as your history- 6 into 26 does not go

On the other hand, this blowing up of policemen and a soldier here and there is trivial and does nothing for the cause...I just dont think its possible for anyone to get enough support to launch an effective campaign against anyone nowadays.

not trivial to the loved ones- if you ever wish to visit MY homeland, you be sure to send me contact details

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
reply to post by kingoftheworld

Nice to know you've openly supported the attempted murder of a gentlemen attending work on ATS

Next time a terrorist attacks occurs in America, us Brits will post positive remarks about the terrorists

Nice...tit-for-tat

Except you know...when terror attacks happen in the US the body count is AT LEAST (fort hood) in the double digits. For explosives usually triple or quadruple digits.

He didnt say he supported killing people he supports the fight for freedom from an external aggressor. Fighting to rule ones own country.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Reply to post by blueorder

So with the independent Ireland, how is it that way? How did one region come to be , don't like to use the term but, occupied and another region not?

Looks like a sort of half invasion or a half retreat.

I totally admit to being ignorant of the history over there so don't take anything I say as hostile or offensive. I don't know enough to have any opinion that would justify intentionaly being hostile or offensive.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by BingeBob

and the body count at Omagh was, what? 3, 4, 6 perhaps. Keeping in mind that apparently terrorist attacks outside the US always result in single-digit casualty lists...

reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Flippin' Hell, are you seriously asking for a history lesson on Northern Ireland?

Short answer is: the six counties that make up Northern Ireland voted overwhelmingly in a free and fair referendum to remain British while the remaining counties voted for independence and duly gained it as The Republic of Eire (Ireland).

For more just go to Wikipedia. It doesn't have too distorted a version of events.

[edit on 8-1-2010 by HowlrunnerIV]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I live in a loyalist area in Belfast,

and all I can say is I hope this does'nt escalate.

I dont want to see any revenge shootings or bombings

by the UDA or the like, this behaviour does'nt do any of us any favours

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthereSo with the independent Ireland, how is it that way? How did one region come to be , don't like to use the term but, occupied and another region not?

There would have been a civil war had one part not broken away- the problem was that around 15% of the population of the republic was unionist/british/protestant and 30% of the population of NI was catholic/nationalist.

Now during that period the protestant population of ROI dwindled to 3% while the catholic population of NI has grown to over 40%- yet according to some bigots, it is NI where the discriimination lies.............

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by HowlrunnerIV

29 died in the omagh bomb

and hundreds more injured

so i think thats a wee bit more than your estimate of 3,4 or 5

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ugie1028
reply to post by infinite

im not accusing them or anything 'Muslims.' I just wanted to make sure that the story wont be twisted, and have the blame placed on them.

Yeh along with the favourite line 'not all muslims are terrorists but all terrorists are muslims'.

I guess that isn't the case with the this story.

Hopefully no one will come up with something like gadafi sending IED's to the dissidents.That would be a cracker!

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ulsterman

Yes, I know. Perhaps if you'd followed the "reply to" link you might have gotten my point.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder
not trivial to the loved ones- if you ever wish to visit MY homeland, you be sure to send me contact details

Been there...Its lovely, cant wait to go back.

You are speaking from emotion. The US fought our war of independence against the brits in the 1770's. Now the ORIGINAL IRA started their war at the beginning of the 1900's and had lots of support.

Starting in the 1960's the original fight had petered out and was leading into a more political peace talk type thing and thus began a brutal split of those that wished to gain their independence through violence of action and those that wanted to "talk it out"

This is when RIRA became a terrorist organization. But wait...as of the year 2000, the IRA has been removed from the US state dept list of terrorist groups.

Heres a source for some info...seems to mostly check out
[link]
www.cfr.org...[/link]

Says that since the 1960's theres been about 1800+/- deaths assosiated with "The Troubles".

Take a step back. Deep breath. Try to look at it through unbiased eyes.

In general talk. If you had your land and you were happy and then another person came on your property and said "you have to do what i tell you now" would you fold to him or would you fight him?

I also think the irish should have left the whole joining the european union thing alone. They'd be better off now i think.

What makes you diffferent if you say you want to fight me because of my feelings and ideas? If you said that you would like to meet me at the pub for a conversation and a pint id gladly send you contact info...Have no interest in messing with the garda while on vacation.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder

Been there...Its lovely, cant wait to go back.

You are speaking from emotion. The US fought our war of independence against the brits in the 1770's. Now the ORIGINAL IRA started their war at the beginning of the 1900's and had lots of support.

Um, no. The Irish Republican Brotherhood may have begun doing stuff back then, that was before Pearse suckered them into the "glorious sacrifice" of Easter.

Starting in the 1960's the original fight had petered out...

This is when RIRA became a terrorist organization.

Suspect that you meant P IRA, as in Provisional. R IRA began in the 1990s and the R stands for Real. The first major dissident group.

And it is the Provisionals who have been removed, because they, as led by Gerry Adams, have been observing the ceasefire. That would be the PIRA, not the RIRA.

In general talk. If you had your land and you were happy and then another person came on your property and said "you have to do what i tell you now" would you fold to him or would you fight him?

Well, in about 7 months you'll get to celebrate fighting against someone telling you what to do on the land he gave you...

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   

I feel bad for the irish...They had good reason to fight. The U.S. fought on the same principals but did so at an easier time in history. Ireland as its own island off of europe should be ruled by the irish. It was merely the english push for domination that kept them in Ireland.

My uncle was almost killed on three separate occasions by the I Ran Away cowards,one attempt was by a IED(wonder who trained insurgents) the other two were by carbombs plus my gran was almost blown up when the scum tried to blow up a post office she worked in.Damn plastic paddy yanks have a lot to answer for when it came to funding these filth.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
So like I said before...The cause is just but the violent means are not

To ignore that britain shouldnt be there is foolish.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Does religion really play as a big a role as the wiki is makin it out to be? From the very first conflict it lists, Boyne, it mentions the British just giving the Irish land away to the British farmers. That right there seems enough cause to take up arms but the wiki keeps on and on about catholic v. protestant.

I may be biased because I've never cared abou religion but seems to me if I were going to kill fir anything it would be my land not my god. After all, faith is intangible and can go wherever whenever but my land is my land and once it's gone it's gone. I'd either have to kick you off to take it back or become a douchebag myself and go take it crime some ody weaker than me which would just pass on the cycle.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   

So like I said before...The cause is just but the violent means are not

To ignore that britain shouldnt be there is foolish.

Right, so Britian should ignore the will of its people, as expressed in a vote?

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   
"The people" you speak of are a couple generations of brits that were forcefully placed there by the crown. Those people that trace their lineage to native soil have been convinced through propaganda or gifts from the crown.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Its got nothing to do with religion any more just gangsters trying to bring back the bad old days where drug pushing ,knee capping ,punishment beatings kept them in their lavish lifestyle.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by BingeBob

"a couple of generations"...

Well then, the Brits must be seriously longer-lived than I've always been aware of or given them credit for.

So, when it came to AIM and their campaign for control of their land and getting rid of the couple of generations of Brits transplanted by the Crown, you stand where?

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join