It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women who wear burkas on the street in France face fines of £700

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dock9
reply to post by Jinni

So, by the same logic, you'd support covering all trees, for example, as token respect for Nature ?

How is covering oneself head to foot a symbol of respect to oneself ?

Were the women born covered head to foot ?

Do muslim men cover themselves head to foot ?

How does it work. Please explain ?

Well, they aim to dress modestly in the context in which they live. Some get it right some get it wrong. But it's their own freedom to do that. I think covering is more of a symbol or uniform to show their beliefs and self-respect (by dressing modestly). Your tree example deserves no counter.

I disagree with dressing head to foot but only modestly. With or without burqa doesn't matter to me. BUT walking around dressed like a slut is self-disrespect.

But everyone has their own view and if they want to dress like ninja then I don't care why should you?

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder

Originally posted by truthquestFrankly I don't give a damn about why they are wearing what they chose to wear. Going on a violent authoritarian rampage to be stop unwanted clothing is ridiculous.

what "violent" rampage exactly

Kudos to the french

Extortion isn't an exceptionally violent act? Have you personally extorted another individual for money or is that just something people with badges and guns are allowed to to at any time for any reason and its a-okay with you?

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by v3_exceed

Why is it that if westerners were to go to live in some of these countries the SAME treatment is acceptable in the reverse? IE: they MUST cover their heads, they MUST conform, but when a person chooses to leave that country to live in another the new countries culture should take a backseat?

True. France is very tolerant and accepts any religious craziness as long as the don't interfere with the freedom of 1. women, forced to live with extremists who have recently discovered that Wahhabi ways are cooler than traditional muslim clothes. 2. cops to see the face of people, so a criminal cannot hide in a public place. Hoods are banned too during demonstrations (under penalty of a 1500 € fine) so known troublemakers and hooligans can be recognized and arrested by the police.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

funny enough in turkey and Jordan they cant wear head scarfs in schools and so on. in public places

dont see the out cry there

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Occy Anonymous

well first of all...usualy there is a reason why peoples would move from where they are from

so if thing are so screwed up where they come from...meaby it's because of the way they think...

so its not ok to bring that here...

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
if you want : see some of my answers in the other post about burkas - about the french woman - note that we here in Europe face really # !

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Good for France! Pity the UK doesn't do something similar!

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
www.aolnews.com...
The French Senate agreed with the national assembly and voted 246 to 1 against the covering the face fully in all public places.

additionally
"women who violate the new law face a fine of $195, mandatory classes in French citizenship or a combination of both. In addition, men who are found to force women to fully veil their faces could be fined $39,000, and could receive up to a year in prison if the female in question is a minor. "

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemonkeywait let me get this straight, they shouldn't have to give up their culture... but we have to give up ours...

NAIL.ON.THE.HEAD! The PC bunch can't see that by them (whoever them may be) not integrating and assimilating into our culture, they're destroying it.

During my time in school in the U.S., all the teachers did was to spout off how great America was and how we were one big assimilating pot and how through integrating, we've gotten the "American culture".

You know, it really REALLY upsets me that most people have such a closed mind when it comes to politically correct issues. Instead of seeing the truth for what it is, they sugar coat it and prance around it in the name of being politically correct.

Guess what folks! The truth hurts! I'm sorry, there's no sugar coating it. Europe (and America) is facing a HUGE change. Something you may not mind *right now*, but what about in ten years or twenty years when your kids are living in a country no better then the Middle East? (That may be a bit extreme, but some places in Europe are already this way!)

Seriously folks, your absent minded PC bull is destroying the western world!

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
i am forced to comply with the law of the land - where ever i land.
so - as ignorant and racist as that may seem, i comply.
some places i've been were intolerable and i moved -wont be goin back..
france- muslims should obey the law or move on..
(why the gypsies resist moving- isnt that what gypsies do?)
the english are such a mess i cant even comment...
usa- always been a mess ,but i'm used to it.
one wave of weird immigrants after another..
all we ask is a tee shirt ,a pair of pajamas- no shoes, no service..
they can be 2 sizes too big or small- and make you look ridiculous..
but masks are frowned upon..makes you look suspicious..
muslims are getting some hard looks in the states lately.
call it assimilation, blending in, conforming, adapting or making trade-offs..
this is your brain- and this is your brain on america..

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Go live a few months in Paris, then judge..

Visit the Banlieu while you are there too.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by p51mustang
muslims are getting some hard looks in the states lately.

Assimilation doesn't mean muslim women take off all their clothes, put on mini skirts and start having kids with multiple men and raise a whole new generation of bastards and criminals.

People have the right to wear what they want, its up to them wether they want to look like darth vader or britney spears.

Why doesn't anyone criticize sikhs for sporting a huge beard and turban?

Why doesn't anyone criticize jews wearing bunny hats and locked sideburns?

There are 1.7billion muslims, keep that number in mind as they make more than 1/3rd of this planets population.

Maybe you should learn how to get on with them.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

edit on 023030p://bWednesday2010 by Stormdancer777 because: oops

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by truthquest

Some husbands may force their wife to wear long dresses as opposed to short skirts. Now what... are you going to ban long dresses and fine people wearing long dresses $1,000? I think you will... because you seem to like the idea of new crimes for tons of extra profits for the authoritarians... that way they can up with even more oppressive rules.

A lot men would not allow their wives to go around naked. . an off-the-wall insane law that against all human rights forces a dress code upon the population. Sickening.

The fact is there are husbands who wish their wife's to wear full garment, and there are some wives who are willing to for no other reason than to make their husbands happy. .

Husband force?
Authoritarians oppress.
Men allow?
Husbands wish.

Ayaan Hirsi Ali escaped from her arranged marriage and from the restictive and the sexual inequality of her Muslim upbring.
In her book "The Caged Virgin" she gives 10 tips to help Muslim girls and women effectively escape from their bondage.

Ayaan Hirsi Ali: 10 Tips for Muslim Women on How to Escape

Not that I don't think Westernized women need to be more modest,

For centuries religion has imposed on native cultures,

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
This is only the 2nd best thing they could have done.
The first best would have been to prohibit their immigration.

The penaly of a fine may not be such a great deterrant.
They really should deport the offenders.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Doujutsu

after 9-11 a convience store clerk in phoenix was shot for wearing a tuban.
drunk guy thought he was muslim..i heard he was a nice family man and the shooter was a nutjob.
too bad he had to have that turban on to demonstrate his faith..which he died for-

edit on 15-9-2010 by p51mustang because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
All right I'll chime in on this ridiculous debate.

One word - freedom. Since when should a government decide what clothing can be worn in public?

I can see private institutions and some public ones having the right to say "no burkas and shoes and shirts must be worn at all times"

It would be appropriate for banks, libraries, schools, workplaces, restaurants, etc to be able to dictate to staff and customers some sort of dress code.

Now I know around the US some places, cities, have tried to enforce some dress codes in public places (remember something about wearing pants around the knees) but that doesn't mean it should happen.

I'm all for freedom. If, and thats a big "IF", women want to wear them (burkas) in public or at home then they should be free to do so.

Some of you like to pick and choose freedoms and who they apply to as if it were some sort of buffet - WTF?!

Think about it - France's government has just told its citizens what they cannot wear in public.

Many of you people scare me - you really do - apparently whatever freedoms we should have are to be determined by the ruling majority - a mob.

edit on 16-9-2010 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-9-2010 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
how about exchange fine for deportation

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Sounds like she needs to give Rachid Nekkaz a call.

Yes, it's just a publicity stunt, but he's agreed to pay the fines for people because he opposes the law. Really, it's just to attract voters for the next time he runs for office.

Anyway, here's an article on it:

Fight the Burka!

People donning burkas in France may soon risk incurring a 150 Euro fine, the equivilant of about $190. Rachid Nekkaz and his wife Cecile Le Roux think that's unfair. Nekkaz is a wealthy real estate mogul and a Muslim. Le Roux is a Christian. "We don't believe in the burka," Le Roux told PRI's The World. "However, what I do believe is that personal freedom is sacred in a democratic, Western country."

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I think France has it about right on this one.... I'm not a racist, but I am a culturist.

I believe all nationalities should respect the culture of the country in which they are. Originally it was as a visitor (and I'm ignoring the UK's empire building days and the white man's worldwide dictatorship of christianity, as I disagree with those actions too). However, with changing times we could emigrate and like seen in recent times virtually anyone can move abroad.

Now, you may emigrate because of sunnier climates, or prettier scenery, but primarily you emigrate (or should do), because you like the culture of the country you want to live in.... NOT the free NHS system, or the housing and unemployment benefits systems, as seems to be the appeal of most of the immigrants piling into the UK!

If we visit many of the third world areas, in Asia or the Middle East, and opulent places like Dubai, you HAVE to respect their culture, or else your barred from the relevant buildings or in worse case scenarios, imprisoned or flogged or both. Some cultures are pretty strict, so we should enquire about them before visiting, and respect them on entering!

The trouble starts when you ignore the culture of the country you are in, and then expect to adopt yours at will, complaining if anyone dare object.... It drives me nuts, that we (in the UK) just let the PC merchants tie our hands lest we object!

What's wrong with specific cultures? These were established over many years and reflect the people of that country or region - They should be respected (Respect - a word, meaning and action long forgotten it seems!).

Good on France I say! When in France respect their culture! a Frenchman walking into a mosque in their land, in shorts and bare chested would soon kick up a fuss amongst the locals I'm sure. Equally, snogging, wearing a bikini in the shopping mall, or drinking in public in Dubai, would be unwise!

If we all respected the culture of the land in which we live, life would be simpler and the racial tensions that exist on the streets today would not be so apparent!

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18 >>

join