It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women who wear burkas on the street in France face fines of £700

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Breizhoo

Originally posted by hadriana
When we clarified our definition - the complete face covering including the eyes, or JUST the eyes visible - then we all came to a consensus that we did not like it one bit - not one of us

[edit on 16-1-2010 by hadriana]

Careful, Hadriana. If you want to be precise, if one can see even just the eyes, it's not a burqa, it's a niqab. The burqa has a grid hiding the eyes.

how is it possible to drive a car wearing this and call i safe.
in england its illegal to have a viser that is darkened on a bike so how can this be legal.
i know when you do your test you have to be able to see your blind sight when you overtake they surely cant see that

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Just wanted to let evryone know. I guess France may be alright after all. No more burqa fines. Check it out.

timescorrespondents.typepad.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by psyko45
Just wanted to let evryone know. I guess France may be alright after all. No more burqa fines. Check it out.

timescorrespondents.typepad.com...

My interpretation would be France continues its role as a dhimmi state

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by kerrichin

As a matter of fact, even a simple headscarf impedes sight, as the folds of cloths on each side of the head prevent lateral vision. However, seeing as 95% of burqa wearers live in countries where women can't even take a leak without a man's autorisation... I don't think they really care.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

I think Nigeria, unfortunately, offers a taster of what is to come in Europe

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
while i myself see the burka as discrimination against women the muslim culture does not. in a time when "terrorism" is constantly in the news and we are told to be afraid of terrorists why would you bring this law in. Have these people ever thought about why "terrorists" (i use quotations because one mans terrorist is anothers freedom fighter) exist. These people belive with some justification that they have been mistreated (obviously putting it mildly) and this law is only going to increase these feelings. Whe are we as a spiecies going to get past all this bulls**t and try and progress. If you want to ban something ban religion as it has no positive impact on society. If that offends you deal with it the majority of the problems in the world are caused by two issues religion and classism. it really is time to make a change people before we all end up scared to leave our homes

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sheeper
reply to post by truthquest

Do you believe they are wearing full body garments with only slits for the eyes, as a fashion statement? Do you believe that they woke up and said, hmmm what should I wear, yes this conseal's my body quite nicely? Maybe they dress this way because they have been bred to accept such things. Ofcourse they "want" to, it's not as if they "don't want" to. But if you had any deeper grasp of the actual intentions that inspired such behavior you might regret supporting such an archaic and inhumane "piece of garment". You see it isn't just a "piece of garment" it was traditionally the intention of oppression, after all they are very beautiful women, we can't be having them lusted after.
[edit on 8-1-2010 by Sheeper]

Frankly I don't give a damn about why they are wearing what they chose to wear. Going on a violent authoritarian rampage to be stop unwanted clothing is ridiculous. Some husbands may force their wife to wear long dresses as opposed to short skirts. Now what... are you going to ban long dresses and fine people wearing long dresses $1,000? I think you will... because you seem to like the idea of new crimes for tons of extra profits for the authoritarians... that way they can up with even more oppressive rules.

A lot men would not allow their wives to go around naked. Maybe you should make all clothing illegal and if someone goes around with clothing then you need to force your "superior" morals upon them at gun point and send them to prison for life. I don't know where your ridiculous stops, but I know it should have never been started with the law against full garment... an off-the-wall insane law that against all human rights forces a dress code upon the population. Sickening.

The fact is there are husbands who wish their wife's to wear full garment, and there are some wives who are willing to for no other reason than to make their husbands happy. And you want to take that away from them because you hate freedom and love tyranny... you can't stand the fact some people like wearing clothes that offend you so you wish to force your morals upon them at gun point.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
France is a secular nation, not a muslim country ruled by sharia law. Never was, and never will be if the common masses makes that choice.

Thus, for anyone to practice their religion, do so by all means for it is defended by the national constitution, but within the confines of one's home.

Once one steps into the public, that's public space, and a responsiblity for EACH citizen, OR WANNABE CITIZEN and FORIEGN GUEST to respect that right, laws agreed upon and freedom of secularism, a desire for homogenous unity and equality envisone by founding fathers..

If anyone feels religiously discriminated, the airport is open 24 hours a day for anyone to leave.

For anyone to demand respect, it must be earned, and that can only be earned by respecting the wishes and laws of the secular electorate. Foriegners have no right to impose their will upon a secular nation whose ancestors won that secular right and freedom through sweat, toil, pain , blood and tears.

France is not Saudi Arabia and the french or any other secular citizen must NEVER be intimidated or fear threats in any form!!! The politicians may be cowards or self serving, but the citizens MUST have courage to make a choice and stick by it - for religious or secular rule!!!

[edit on 22-1-2010 by SeekerofTruth101]

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   
BBC News - France MPs' report backs Muslim face veil ban

It certainly looks like France is determined to tackle this Head On

France is / has and always will protectionist

I think this may take the international radical Muslim heat off the UK for a short while anyway

"The wearing of the full veil is a challenge to our republic. This is unacceptable. We must condemn this excess,"

Presenting the report to the French National Assembly, speaker Bernard Accoyer said the face veil had too many negative connotations. "It is the symbol of the repression of women, and... of extremist fundamentalism. "This divisive approach is a denial of the equality between men and women and a rejection of co-existence side-by-side, without which our republic is nothing." The report is expected to be followed by the drafting of a bill and a parliamentary debate on the issue.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthquestFrankly I don't give a damn about why they are wearing what they chose to wear. Going on a violent authoritarian rampage to be stop unwanted clothing is ridiculous.

what "violent" rampage exactly

Kudos to the french

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Wendroid

I think you will find that women are forced to wear it.

I am not being fascile.

This is a fact.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by osc121

I support France's move, and Britain should do the same.

Not only is a veiled face an affront to the women who wear these veils, it is also a great disguise for terrorists.

I am not saying these women are terrorists.

All I am saying is this:

If a French person walked down the street wearing a veil, what would happen?

Similarly, a British person in Britain?

An Australian person in Australia?

A kiwi in NZ?

We all know what would happen - you would get very close police attention, and rightly so.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by learningtofly
reply to post by Wendroid

I think you will find that women are forced to wear it.

I am not being fascile.

This is a fact.

Not true. Women are not usually forced to wear them.. My fiance in Egypt wears one, but her family told her not to.. They begged her not to, but she still chose to. She is discriminated against in finding good employment cause she wears it.

Many women chose to wear them out of respect for God and Muhammad, even though it is not mandated as law (only that they cover themselves somewhat).

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by seattletruth

I stand corrected.

In that case, I think that these women are misguided - why would their creator not wish to see their faces, which He has created?

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
It's difficult and disappointing to believe that in the year 2010, the fashion police have such strong support.

Personally, I don't give a damn what people (don't) wear. However, French women now have to dress with a 'Goldilocks' set of rules... not enough clothing is offensive, too much clothing is offensive... I'm sure there's probably a comedy skit that could be written about this farce.

This world is BS.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I have been all around the world and I never met ONE muslim woman who was forced to wear the veil or hijab by her nearest family members.

In all cases it was the woman's decision to do so.

So we can see how intolerant the French people are toward different styles of clothing and they use lies to fool people into thinking they are doing something for the interest of women.

I think France should just go back to it's regular subjugation and colonisation of peoples land. Hold on.. they are.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
You are typing faster than I can read. So I have skipped a few pages.

Living next to France, reading the main daily paper of Luxembourg, I can
assure you that there is no such fine yet (the currency of France BTW
is the Euro).

It is as yet only a proposition for a law to be debated in parliament in March
and eventually to pass in autumn, if the government thinks the matter needs
a more stringent control.

Masquerading in public is already a penal offence right now in France. So
the French want to drive that accross their public now to see how it is im-
plemented.

Knowing those people, they will not be stopped by such reminders. Therefore
the law will most certainly come to pass.

The proposed fine for the contravening woman would be € 750.00, but
heavier for the enforcers of the burqa on the women.

A lack of vitamin D (from lack of sun exposure) will, apart from the many
other side-effects stated further up, cause under-weight births, that cannot
be in the interest of a healthy populace.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Udo Hohnekamp Lux.

I totally agree that the burqa is over the top. We need light and air in our hair and on our skin.

BUT, it should NOT be up to to state and law to enforce such measures.

I mean what is next? The state will rule that if you are too dark you should be fined and your parents who forced the colour unto you should be fined too? Hell, why don't you throw in the Gas Chambers too?

Legislating WHAT PEOPLE WEAR is a sign of tyranny and oppression and is certainly NOT the way to ENLIGHTEN those people FFS.

But hey, they are brown muslim people right? any subjugation of them is highly sexually stimulating to you isn't it?

Racism rocks!

[edit on 5-2-2010 by Jinni]

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by seattletruth

I agree with you but,

They wear it not as a sign of respect to God or Muhammad but themselves.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Jinni

So, by the same logic, you'd support covering all trees, for example, as token respect for Nature ?

How is covering oneself head to foot a symbol of respect to oneself ?

Were the women born covered head to foot ?

Do muslim men cover themselves head to foot ?

How does it work. Please explain ?

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join