It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Government Own Utilities?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
For those in the USA, does the state government own your utility companies?

Is anyone noticing privatized companies selling out to the government?

Are we becoming nationalised?

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Peeps, Please take a look at this post.
Tell me if it is happening in your area.

If you haven't got notice yet....check into it.

I thought there was supposed to be some sort of law against having a monopoly.

How is it that states can begin to own and make all rules now for utilities?

What happens now?
How will they use this?

Is this how they start to corral us into concentrated "smart cities" for the Agenda 21 plan?

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Alabama Power recently went to "smart meters" here, but AFAIK they are not government-owned.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
We use to have a monopoly here in TX. Utilities were "deregulated" to allow for "healthy" competition. Since that day, our utilities have skyrocketed. I'm all for nationalization and a return to utilities monopoly IF it will help bring down the price.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Reply to post by Aggie Man

Real deregulation or partial deregulation?

The same thing happened in CT as partial deregulation so the government prevented any competition and divided the state into service sectors so only one company could exist in one sector.

Naturally, the scheme resulted in a huge outcry to bring back full governmental control. No changes in pricing or service but the government would control it so it's okay.

Be careful you're not falling for the partial deregulation trick. Too often the complaints of the alleged free market are rooted in the fact that the market simply isn't free.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Well, there are a few city municipalities that own their own utilities, but it seems to me that it is fully deregulated everywhere else. There are a number of providers we can chose from, but I am convinced that they are guilty of "price fixing" and "price gouging", though there is no "evidence" of this according to the Texas Utilities Commission.

Here is a wiki link discussing the Deregulation in TX:

en.wikipedia.org...

If you wish, you can skim through it and see what you think.

EDIT: incidentally, the municipalities that own their utilities, well, they have the lowest rates in TX.

[edit on 8-1-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Texas had some of the cheapest power rates in the country when it zapped most of the state’s electric regulations six years ago, convinced that rollicking competition would drive prices even lower.

This summer, electricity there is some of the nation’s priciest.

Power costs are rising in the rest of the U.S., but everything is bigger in Texas: On a hot day in May, wholesale prices rose briefly to more than $4 a kilowatt hour — about 40 times the national average.

www.businesspundit.com...

Texas is ranked as the number one competitive retail electric market in the United States and number 3 in the world.

www.electricity-texas.com...

[edit on 8-1-2010 by Aggie Man]

new topics

top topics

join