It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hollywood Bets on Strong Economy in 2011

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
It seems silently that the top economic brass in Hollywood is giving the green light on one of the biggest Summer openings in a very long time for the Summer of 2011. This leads me to think that behind such a move must be some interesting insight into the time our economic crisis not only ends but when the Average person can be expected to have enough available to go to the movies...2-4-6 even 8 times during a season again...

You don't just launch movies, timing is everything, if you go head to head against another block buster, you risk loosing half your earnings if people aren't able to see both films and wait for dvd or cable... You look at everything, even weather... you definitely don't line up week after week and head to head your biggest pictures... Not unless you have a reason to believe people will be able to see as many movies as they like...

Look at Summer 2010's Movie Line...

May 2010 Has Sex in the city 2, iron man 2 and Shrek 4.... One for each major demographic...

And sleepers, cheaper films.... after that Kids stuff one a month... Toy Story 3, nothing with a major budget. A Team is there as a summer hit... The A TEAM!!!!

Hollywood, isn't expecting droves at the theater for 2010

They have nothing, like it's been 1 or budget films a month, some months none...

Exactly what you would expect in a Terrible Economy.....

Now look at 2011, a Full Year later than this summer, but with this already set up and announced...

May, 6 Spider-Man 4
May, 6 Thor

May, 20 Pirates of the Caribbean 4

May, 26 The Hangover 2

June, 2011
June, 3 Kung Fu Panda 2

June, 17 Green Lantern

June, 24 Cars 2

July, 2011

TBA Transformers 3

July, 15 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II

July, 22 The First Avenger: Captain America

Okay... Thor vs Spider man same day release? with Pirates and Hangover 2 that month... Head to head Childrens mega blockbusters, 3 super hero movies all blockbusters overlapping....

Harry Potter 8 the conclusion vs Transformers 3...

They are VERY VERY confident that this season for 2011, we will be all hitting Multiple movies and they wont loose money.... either that or they are masochistic...

This is a straight Hollywood line up, 8-10 Blockbusters with massive budgets Huge sequels guaranteed to make 100's of millions or a Billion or more..... so long as you Don't... go head to head with another blockbuster...

So I have to ask ATS

Amidst all this gloom and doom...

Why is Hollywood silently banking us all having spending money in major American style by Summer of 2011?

Whats the posible change in economics?

Is this the last Hurrah of Hollywood before 2012 LOL

OR do those that know in Hollywood KNOW something we don't in regards to a major upturn?

Yes I said Up Turn on ATS....

Could this be a sign of something positive economically?

[edit on 8-1-2010 by mopusvindictus]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Bear in Mind... almost all of them are in Imax and 3-d and not every theater can play at all or has more than one Imax projector... So when you do this, you will likely only be able to see one or the other in 3-d... not without traveling...

So they aren't just counting on you seeing both Harry potter 8 and Transformers 3 in the same 2 weeks and Taking your Kid to toy story too, they expect you to get in your car, burn some gas, and pay the price for the 3-d version too...

Really is Huge Economic confidence as I see this... Just asking what on Earth that confidence might come from?

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I don't really know. I mean, maybe the ecomony will make a swift upturn here in America, but for some reason I doubt it. Then again, the more I think about, the 2010 elections for congress are coming up, and so possibly we will get some more fiscally responsible people in Congress.

And Merry Christmas to you too Mopusvindictus!

[edit on 8-1-2010 by kingoftheworld]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus
Bear in Mind... almost all of them are in Imax and 3-d and not every theater can play at all or has more than one Imax projector... So when you do this, you will likely only be able to see one or the other in 3-d... not without traveling...

So they aren't just counting on you seeing both Harry potter 8 and Transformers 3 in the same 2 weeks and Taking your Kid to toy story too, they expect you to get in your car, burn some gas, and pay the price for the 3-d version too...

Really is Huge Economic confidence as I see this... Just asking what on Earth that confidence might come from?

well when it gets better it is going to GET better, things will improve, I just wish I
had money to put in the market NOW.

If you look at unemployment, it is slowing down since the crash in Sept 2008 -
once that reverses and picks up people will be happy and EAGER to spend,
you'll see...

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
When times are bad and the purse it tight, people are known to still spend reasonable amounts of money on escapism.

Such As:

Alcohol
Drugs
Music
Movies
Sex

These are the things that make the hard times a little more bearable.

IRM

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Actually, I think Hollywood is counting on a crap economy for 2011. If I remember correctly, movie ticket sales soared during the Great Depression. Now I guess its the "Great Recession" that may cause soaring sales. This time around, it can often be 2 hours of minimum wage work for a movie ticket... so I'm not sure the strategy will still work. Though I don't really know what the cost was during the Great Depression in terms of hours of work at a low wage. But the point stands that counting on soaring movie ticket sales is not really a good sign for the economy at all.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Well, I have been doing my part to make hollywood money, NOT.

Yes, I left hollywood uncapitalized Firefox on purpose, so quit your underlining of purposefully misspelled words.

I enjoy movies, just not the $8 bag of popcorn and the $6 soda, besides the blatant propaganda coming from hollywood lately. Can you say, GI Joe, Avatar, Planet 51-I could go on but why.
You too can do your part, do not watch them in the theatres, watch them elsewhere, just a couple of days after release.

Will not say how.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

That's exactly what I am thinking...

A couple of people have said that Movies do well in troubled times... But Hollywood has not acted this way before... this year coming. last few years they haven't been doing big box office battles, very conservative, very careful to release only One BIG blockbuster at a given time...

I honestly think they know something, somewhere at the top the studio owners have reason to believe something major is going to give...

I think several thinks...

It is POST the timeline for military intervention in Iran...

There are Plans for something along the lines of a modern new deal to put the unemployed back to work...

There is going to be some sort of major technological anouncement that changes the whole picture... maybe related to Green Energy...

Just guesses...

But it seems to me the big boys expect us to have money...

I'd buy into optimism in dark econmic times because it's a thrill industry as said...

But if that was the case I think it would be 2010.... NOW that we'd be seeing this move...

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
plz... help me look for other econonic indicators along same time line...

If we can confirm other big confidence in consumer spending along this time line I think it's an open shut case that something is expected to give in a major way...

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Holy Moley

I've never had a thread bust before!!!!

OKAY, OKAY

There is a hidden message in the title of the movies refering to a plan by the Hollywood jews to take over the US economy by 2011...

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

You know I usually agree with you on your suppositions on things mopus, but this one you are totally wrong.

Movies usually are an indicator of the economy, but not anymore.

I hate propaganda, this MAYBE why? That is a question.

[edit on 1/8/2010 by endisnighe]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

I have no diffinitive answer...

It just strikes me, these are very well conected Studios... spending Hundreds of Millions and going so far as to lauinch multiple massive projects on the same dates, even things Like Spidey and Thor... to head both (different production studios) but owned by Marvel and Transformers 3 vs Harry potter 8????

That's not just competition thats Warfare...

They just haven't been doing this for years now... cooperation and assurance of profit has been the rule of the land...

Some mighty big financial balls being displayed is really all that i see...

And it begs the question of WHY?

i'm headed out tonight...

But I plan on doing some real investigation into WHO ELSE plans to be spending BIG headed into 2012

Giganmtic spendings...

To me, either Major Confidence...

OR

A Last Hurrah....

Not sure which...

top topics

join