It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Presence of lakes on Mars three billion years ago

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Mars featured large lakes of melted ice about 3 billion years ago, according to new research suggesting that the planet reached its present, dry state more recently than previously thought.

The lake beds have been dated to 3 billion years ago, showing that the surface of Mars was still wet during a period called the Hesperian Epoch.

While it is well-established that Mars was warm and wet during its early history, previous research has indicated that it lost its atmosphere and became cold and dry between 4 billion and 3.8 billion years ago.

This all means that at one time Mars was very much like Earth.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
A few years ago I read a book by Graham Hancock called The Mars Mystery that spoke about the planet being hit by a large asteroid/comet and creating the deep trench on one side, causing the Mons volcano and blowing off surface material about 2 to 3 miles thick on the opposite side of the planet.

I think this is a very plausible theory on why Mars is no longer with water, atmosphere and Flora.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperSlovak

Mars featured large lakes of melted ice about 3 billion years ago, according to new research suggesting that the planet reached its present, dry state more recently than previously thought.

The lake beds have been dated to 3 billion years ago, showing that the surface of Mars was still wet during a period called the Hesperian Epoch.

While it is well-established that Mars was warm and wet during its early history, previous research has indicated that it lost its atmosphere and became cold and dry between 4 billion and 3.8 billion years ago.

This all means that at one time Mars was very much like Earth.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

Yep, but once Mars' core solidified it lost its protective magnetic shield and so went its water and most of its atmosphere. Earths core will cool down too, but we still have at least a few billion years to get off it first.

[edit on 7-1-2010 by Xtrozero]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I don't want to sound rude, but I posted this a few days ago, nobody seemed to take notice, however.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
i have doubts about the time line they set for mars.

what was earth like, that long ago?

some, most of the mars pics look like there was water there last season not a billion years ago!

like the question of life in the universe, "out there somewhere but not near here!"

life might had time to adjust in 800mil years, no?

new topics

top topics

join