It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing cloud roll captured on camera

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Donny 4 million

Good one!!

Actually (after some digging) i found the scientific explanation for my pic..

Explanation: What causes these long, strange clouds? No one is sure. A rare type of cloud known as a Morning Glory cloud can stretch 1,000 kilometers long and occur at altitudes up to two kilometers high. Although similar roll clouds have been seen at specific places across the world, the ones over Burketown, Queensland Australia occur predictably every spring. Long, horizontal, circulating tubes of air might form when flowing, moist, cooling air encounters an inversion layer, an atmospheric layer where air temperature atypically increases with height. These tubes and surrounding air could cause dangerous turbulence for airplanes when clear. Morning Glory clouds can reportedly achieve an airspeed of 60 kilometers per hour over a surface with little discernible wind. Pictured above, photographer Mick Petroff photographed some Morning Glory clouds from his airplane near the Gulf of Carpentaria, Australia.

Who knew?

Peace

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DGFenrir

You really need to see OzWeatherman's posts, replies etc. He has explained many of these clouds and other weather issues. So, It's not the first time someone gives us an explanation, other than HAARP or aliens!

I believe he has discussed the formation of Noctilucent clouds here on ATS as well. Here is a link:

en.wikipedia.org...

These too are not created by aliens, but by mother nature, Mammatus clouds:

cacophobia.files.wordpress.com...
www.davesmock.com...

Plenty more pics on Google ;-)

Funkiest clouds I've ever seen

Some more of the OP's here:

www.pinktentacle.com...
pics4.city-data.com...

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime
reply to post by Max_TO

If you thought one was beautiful, how about a couple?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/e978fb2aed297468.jpg[/atsimg]
I don't know if i am suppose to add a source off this image but i guess this is, the most likely, the source. Nasa pic of the day

Peace

haha i love it , just like you to out do everybody else , awesome pic
[edit on 8/1/2010 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Beautiful

One of those images that makes you feel part of something special

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Why oes it look like a formation of a tornado?

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by noobsauce13

Because a lot of times this weather pattern will be disrupted and cause a tornado. I have seen many thunderstorms, but when you see one with a roll cloud in the base of one, that is when you start watching for the tornado.

I have never seen a roll cloud where there was not a thunderstorm involved. To me, this is pretty damn cool. Living in WI, USA we see numerous thunderstorms every year. We hope to hell they do not turn nasty.

OZ, if you show up on the thread, what is the likelihood of a roll cloud developing a tornado if not accompanied with a thunderstorm compared to one that is accompanied with a thunderstorm?

I have been in two tornado situations in my life. Neither one gives you ANY exhilaration besides the one of, WHAT THE HELL DO WE DO NOW!

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Stuff like this never ceases to amaze me. Thanks for posting

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TortoiseKweek

You're taking it too seriously.

I can actually only remember one cloud formation where people wanted to give the credit to aliens.
I was just surprised that nobody had mentioned aliens on this thread yet.

[edit on 8/1/2010 by DGFenrir]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime
reply to post by Max_TO

If you thought one was beautiful, how about a couple?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/e978fb2aed297468.jpg[/atsimg]
I don't know if i am suppose to add a source off this image but i guess this is, the most likely, the source. Nasa pic of the day

Peace

[edit on 8/1/2010 by operation mindcrime]

Very Very nice pic, bravo. You see so much stuff that doesn't make it into the news.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Okay, I think this has nothing to do with weather phenomena. More than likely it has everything to do with time/space vortices that have scripted Planetoid weather phenomena!

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I have seen one of these two years ago, while in the parking lot of venue, waiting for a comedy show. I definitely thought we were going to see a tornado, but the weather was fine.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

That's a great shot!!!

It reminds me of a pic I took a few years back....not even sure where it is now.

It wasn't a roll cloud, but a wall cloud....it was def a separation between fronts, and was as cool looking as this is, but different.

From what I recall, there was more contrast and color , ...darker on the leading edge then feathered lighter to the trailing edge.

The bloody pic could still be IN THE CAMERA!!!!!....a digital one of course.....

[edit on 8-1-2010 by toasted]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by toasted

HAHA , please let us know if you find it !

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

It might have been a good one but it didn't work.

Any Idea what the structure at the top of your photo is?
Wing over aircraft I guess?
I have been a sky watcher and sky listener since my days under
the hewy's and howitzers.
I have photographed and enjoyed cloud formations all over the world.
I thought I knew a lot about the physics of cloud formation.
The hot/cold convection systems, High/lows, the effects of wind and terrain.
But this is the first time I have seen this type cloud
let alone understand the process of it's creation.

I thought this part odd.

"These tubes and surrounding air could cause dangerous turbulence for airplanes when clear."

I always imagine all my dead buddies sitting atop beautiful clouds as they pass by.
Their feet hanging down any keeping to the beat as they sing---
" Thank god I'm a country boy"
Problem is --then I have to go pick up all the beer bottles they drop on my lawn.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by toasted

I am not sure if they are exactly the same.
The photos I have from Oklahoma seems similar to your description, not sure.
The height was thunderstorm anvil high 25,000 ft. or so.
A wall of columns of color. Containing a lot of dust I guess.
They were awesome but scary even if you were not aware
of the tornado producing possibilities.
The only other thing in the photo is a filling station looking so puny and venerable.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   

LOL! I know I must sound and seem like some what of a serious person, but in all honesty, I'm more of a clown than anyone else...LOL!

I've even put a photo of John Lear on a rocket in one on my posts
- And there were no alien clouds with him

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   
THat looks awesome! Kind of reminds me of the massive tidal wave in DEEP IMPACT... LOL

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Images like the ones shown in this thread just remind me of how spectacular mother nature can be. Simply awe-inspiring.

I see the sky as one giant canvas and mother nature as the artist, painting an ever-changing masterpiece.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

that is an awsome picture but it makes you wonder how can something like that just come about i know our weather can create some pretty unique things but the first thing that comes to my mind can this be a man made HAARP just thinking out loud

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by DGFenrir
reply to post by TortoiseKweek

You're taking it too seriously.

I can actually only remember one cloud formation where people wanted to give the credit to aliens.
I was just surprised that nobody had mentioned aliens on this thread yet.

[edit on 8/1/2010 by DGFenrir]
It must be aliens, There it is done. Nice pics, that is one of the reasons I like flying. I like the ones that look like mini tornadoes

[edit on 9-1-2010 by Lil Drummerboy]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join