It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing cloud roll captured on camera

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+63 more 
posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

This amazing picture shows a rare phenomenon called a roll cloud which tend to form ahead of a cold front and can stretch for miles.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1c9f8d652425.jpg[/atsimg]

Photographer Daniela Eberl took this snap at Las Olas Beach in Maldonado, Uruguay. Photo: NATIONAL NEWS
They are most common when an advancing storm front causes moist air to rise, then cool to the point where it becomes a cloud known as the dew point.
When this happens along a front, a roll cloud can form, often with air actually circulating along the horizontal axis of the cloud.

Thats one cool pic !

The world is full of strange beauty and one has to love it when someone manages to snap a pic of it !

Edit to add ... almost forgot the Source

[edit on 7-1-2010 by Max_TO]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
This is super cool! it's like a huge wave made of cloud...
Makes me want to get on a glider and surf it!

good find!

Star and Flagged!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
A'ha! I knew those pictures of the x-48 something or other space jet contrails were natural clouds. This is cool.

EDIT: Sorry, its the Aurora hypersonic jet! Why did I think x-48?

[edit on 7-1-2010 by SmokeandShadow]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
haha I wonder what kind of weather power it took to make the cloud like that

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
What a great pic, I have seen these cloud rolls before, actually twice, they are rare..

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Twice you say ? Very cool ! I can only imagine what it must have been like to see such a thing live and in person

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
What a fantastic photograph!

Thanks for posting.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

First one I saw years ago freaked me out, I didn't know what it was, I thought at first it was a title wave which doesn't make any sense in Michigan..think your mind wants to identify everything right or wrong.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
awesome, looks like natures Marshmello!!

Query? is that what you'd call a front ?

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
That is something I cant say on here!!! I love cloud pictures and this is one cool cloud
thanks for sharing!!!
S&F!!!

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Roll cloud A roll cloud in Uruguay. A roll cloud is a low, horizontal, tube-shaped, and relatively rare type of arcus cloud. They differ from shelf clouds by being completely detached from the thunderstorm base or other cloud features. Roll clouds usually appear to be "rolling" about a horizontal axis. They can be a sign of possible microburst activity.

source

These are really cool. I can see how someone might mistake it for the top of a gigantic tidal wave at first glance. Imagine being on a cruise or living on the coastline and seeing that bad boy at night and not realizing it was a cloud formation at first. I would definitely end up soiling my pants.

edit** spelling

[edit on 8-1-2010 by QBSneak000]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Here's a great video of one in Ontario.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by QBSneak000

Great video, the first one I saw years ago was on Saginaw Bay in the Thumb of Michigan, it was late evening and just off the beach in Caseville, as I mentioned earlier it freaked me out as I thought it was a title wave at first.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Sounds crazy, but that picture makes me feel like I want to go "home". Weird feeling I can't explain.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I saw one in 1997 in the Texas Panhandle, one night after I got off from work and was driving home.

Was I ever scared too! hehe The one I saw was almost all white but it rolled a lot faster than in the Ontario video posted above. And it arrived with very high winds and was gone as quick as it started. Above the rolling cloud was a very cloudy sky, so it was white against gray and quite a sight!

I turned on the TV when I got home and heard meteorologists say, "Something happened but we do not know what."

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Wow, that is really beautiful.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Gorgeous! I have seen this phenomenon in person, many years ago when I lived in Panama City, it is an awesome sight in person! Thanks for the photo, s&f!

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

If you thought one was beautiful, how about a couple?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/e978fb2aed297468.jpg[/atsimg]
I don't know if i am suppose to add a source off this image but i guess this is, the most likely, the source. Nasa pic of the day

Peace

[edit on 8/1/2010 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   
That is cool as hell;
Never seen anything like that before;
star and flag

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

WOW thats insane! I've only seen pics of these up north, it would be awesome to see one!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join