It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the deal with the UK snowstorm?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Does it not snow in the UK? Or is it just a rare, major storm? Seriously, I don't know the weather patterns over there, so I would like to know what's the big deal. Or should I just post pictures every time it snows here in New York?

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
It used to snow up in Scotland every year. i remember when I was young and we used to get 2 or 3 feet of snow every couple of years or so.

the weather has changed lots in the last 10 years though, and we've had really mild winters since then. Lots of rain and wind instead.

this year there has been some consistent snow falling from Scotland right down to the South of England, which has'nt really happened like this for many years.

the temperatures as well have been much lower than in a long time.

To be honest, I think lots of people in Scotland have forgotten what it's like to get a good dump of snow because it's been so long, therefore it's getting more publicity than usual. In england, to be honest , every time they get more than a few inches, it's "country to a standstill time", because it is really rare to get so much over this period of time.

I always remember my school geography teacher saying, "If we get Snow coming over from Siberia/russia/Europe, then it's only going to be for a few days, HOWEVER if we get it coming down from the Arctic, then be prepared to get dug in, because it's more like a Week or Two of Snow".

He was so right!!!

g

[edit on 7-1-2010 by grantbeed]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
Does it not snow in the UK? Or is it just a rare, major storm? Seriously, I don't know the weather patterns over there, so I would like to know what's the big deal. Or should I just post pictures every time it snows here in New York?

LOL Yeah I agree...I live in Upstate New York and we get 2-3 feet a snow storm and we get about 3 storms a month each winter. There is nothing special about it. Right now there is about 4 feet of snow at my doorstep and we are getting another big storm tonight which will dump another foot here. Snow is no big deal for us why is it such a big think in the UK?

LifENcircleS

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by LifENcircleS

Honestly guys, nothing against the English at all, but whenever the Snow reaches London, all Hell breaks loose on the Media.

The south of england in particular is very unprepared for any amount of snow at all.

Low salt Supplies, Bad Road Work Scheduling and Inexperienced snow Drivers. It's a recipe for disaster with even a few inches of the white stuff.

the Media Hypes it up big time. they love it. They keep mentioning UK this , UK that, but mostly they mean the south of England!!

People further North are just getting on with their lives as normal, driving through it and not even complaining. Scotland's where I am from, and my father works with the Roads Dept who deal with it.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Tie that in with the foul icy weather in Copenhagen during the Global Warming summit, and you quite dramatically view the effects of 'global warming'. Kind of humorous, if that were actually the goal of the summit. But it does show those despots are actually not there for the global 'warming'. Herr Baraq and co-conspirators did all the groundwork for their NWO, so it was really a success, in their puny minds. But when the twin star gets closer, the temp WILL shoot up unbearably. 'Enjoy' the cold while it lasts.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by LifENcircleS

Originally posted by they see ALL

LOL Yeah I agree...I live in Upstate New York and we get 2-3 feet a snow storm and we get about 3 storms a month each winter. There is nothing special about it. Right now there is about 4 feet of snow at my doorstep and we are getting another big storm tonight which will dump another foot here. Snow is no big deal for us why is it such a big think in the UK?

LifENcircleS

Imagine if it didn't snow in Canada at all for the winter. Imagine if Australia rained all summer. That would be remarkable, because its not what's expected.

I'm 23 and can't remember ever having more than 6 inches of snow, and that only lasted a day, maybe two at a push.

We were told that snowy winters were a thing of the past. So its caught us all out bigtime

(Not that i'm there, i'm living in Canada this winter!)

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
It's not that rare. The media are doing a good job of trying to tow the global warming line whilst making a big deal of snow.

Snow and rising temperatures are in direct conflict with each other.

The media here are making a big deal that it is allegedly "warmer than average" in the Southern Hemisphere, neglecting the fact it is way colder than average in the Northern Hemisphere.

The UK is not the only country to suffer cold weather (though it is supposed to be under global warming/climate change).

Look at global news outlets - you will see all the major areas around the world in the North are ALL suffering particularly cold temperatures.

Do not believe the lies and spin that it is just a UK phenomenon.

If you add lower than average temps in the North to higher than average temps in the South, you get a balance that the GLOBAL AVERAGE is well, umm, average.

It is completely inconvenient for the global warming/climate change people. Unfortunately most of the population are too stupid to see it for what it is.

Averages are a dodgy subject at the best of times.

[edit on 8-1-2010 by mirageofdeceit]

new topics

top topics

join