It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Savannah, GA military activity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Need people with military backgrounds for some input on this one. Left work yesterday and took a different route home. Just north of the Savannah International Airport there is an open grass field parallel along Gulfstream Road. It's not used for anything other than an occasional blimp landing since the actual airport cannot support them. However in this open field there was a small military post set up at the east end, it included a fairly large tent, a Humvee with missile launchers on the back, an aerial antenna of some sort, and surrounding the entire encampment was a double layer of razor wire. I noticed 3 fully geared military personnel milling about around the tent, though I could not tell if any were armed or what branch of military they are from. As I kept driving I saw an almost identical setup at the west end of this field. So today I grabbed the digi and planned to take the same route home today. Made a few inquires around work and a couple people noticed them too and said they had been there since this Monday, 1/4/2010(possibly through last weekend) So it got to quiting time and I headed off with my camera. Made a couple passes, got noticed on the second pass but nothing more than them turning their heads as I passed slightly slower snapping away.

Looks like a generator and a few other crates have been unloaded near the Humvee. A co-worker stated that he saw light through the tent windows as they passed the camp last night.

You can see a couple of the men from the west end camp, these are the ones that were watching me watching them. The east end men(sorry no pic of them) did have on full gear, tactical vests or harnesses and helmets. West end had one "civilian" looking vehicle but I could not get close enough to see the plate.

And the ever important port-a-john, just outside of the secured encampment.

Anybody here have experience with such a setup, am I seeing a normal training exercise? Two identical camps approx. a mile apart in an open field with antennas, to me this may indicate testing of some sort of communication equipment. Thoughts on this hypothesis? The field in question is owned by the Airport Commission (City Of Savannah) I guess I don't understand why the military would choose that location when the Air National Guard has a large area within the secured zone of Savannah Airport, or Hunter Army Airfield is actually next to the city of Savannah, or Fort Stewart is about a 30 minute drive. Instead they choose an open field right next to a very busy road that is owned by a municipality.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
OMGosh!
That humvee looks JUST like this one!
A LASER-mounted weapon............

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Looks like it might be a comm unit with attached air defense doing a field exercise.

They have to do a readiness drill every so often, I wouldn't worry about it.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by maxweljames
I guess I don't understand why the military would choose that location

Simply go up and ask them, and they will tell you. You may even get a look inside their vehicle if you ask nicely

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies
OMGosh!
That humvee looks JUST like this one!
A LASER-mounted weapon............

No, it is only a standard avenger www.inetres.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Dereks is right. It's an Avenger. It's an ADA system.

And if GA is like PA, drill weekend is coming up on 9-10 Jan. So it just could be the Guard or Reserves doing some training.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
It's been a while since I was stationed and Ft. Stewart, GA, but I'd say this is just training exercises. If anything major was going on, I would suspect you would see much activity at Hunter, I think that was the name of it, Army Airfield. But who knows. Up until Desert Shield/Desert Storm my division was training for deployment to, let's say, more of a South American sort of activity. However, we deployed to Saudi Arabia when needed and suddenly we became an elite desert fighting force, trained for such terrain.
Yep, all that training in the swamps prepared us for deserts.

Hmmmmmmmm.....though. With machete rattling going on in Venezuela and increased U.S. military presence in Columbia, well, it's anybody's guess what might be going on.

Another thought. I recall a brigade from Ft. Stewart, now the home of the 3rd Infantry Division, has been tasked with some sort of martial law sort of mission. Anybody here remember more about this?

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by dereks
Simply go up and ask them, and they will tell you. You may even get a look inside their vehicle if you ask nicely

Ah, the direct approach, it just might work. If I have the time and weather is nice tomorrow I may have to stop and do that.

Originally posted by kyredAnother thought. I recall a brigade from Ft. Stewart, now the home of the 3rd Infantry Division, has been tasked with some sort of martial law sort of mission. Anybody here remember more about this?

www.apfn.org...
I remember hearing about Stewart being one of the locations for the FEMA Camps. So an associated military division for the crowd control wouldn't surprise me.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I don't know if this was a military exercise or an actual mission ,, but,,,,, I give you kudos for bringing it to the attention of ATS. The more people that post these types of things the better. It will keep us all informed. I admire your photos and the attempt to let us know whats going on in your neck of the woods. Thank you.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by maxweljames

www.californiachronicle.com...

Stinger and Laser attachment.

They had something similar with sidewinders called "Chaparral".

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
That is a retrans station.

Retrans stations catch radio transmissions and rebroadcast to extend radio communications across greater than normal distances or around terrain features that would otherwise block the signal.

This particular retrans station looks like it is in support of a field exercise or staffex, or both. Being a retrans station would explain it being distant from a recognized military training area as well.

If this was "for real," the station would be in the woodline rather than an open field and there wouldn't be orange traffic cones, engineer tape, and civilian cars there.

As for the stinger HMMWV, I'd say its an ADA outfit or it was just what they had available. With military operations, I think you'll find that location and activity speak more on intent than the presence of a particular weapons system. They probably put it out there to get practice targeting and tracking airplanes coming to/from the airport. When I was a tanker we would always practice tracking targets on cars driving by post. I'm sure ADA dudes are no different.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by kyred

And whats more freaky is that Colombia is buying French Leclerc main battle tanks. A response to Venzuela's purchase of Russian tanks perhaps? We got ourselves a possible arms race in SA.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I betcha they dont even speak English.

They're getting ready to do us in. The size 13 shoe is about ready to drop.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by maxweljames

Go out on Eisenhower Drive.. there used to be a National Guard armory there. When I was a member of the 1/230 FA (48th IB Mech), there was an ADA detachment that would come in as part of the 118th FA next door and set up by the old airport. They sat around for several weeks a year training and tracking incoming flights. They would also have some RA NCOs (from Ft Stewart) there who would see that security was strict because of the equipment used.

On drill weekends when the 118th had that ADA point at the airport, we'd all take turns hopping Huey flights out for 2 hour guard duty tours on the wire. (Was barbed then, not razor.)

EDIT: typos

[edit on 15-1-2010 by redoubt]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Im a Marine in the Airwing and trust me, this isn't anything to worry about. That tent is too small to house anything special or menacing. Other than the hummer with the attachment, which I understand is exciting to a civvie, isnt anything special. plus it wouldnt have cones, tape, or be right beside a road. also would have a sign to say keep away and guards posted. annnd not have a civvie car with trackable licsense plates.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

yeah it looks like it , but if you look closer to the rockets, they do not match.

new topics

top topics

join